Effectiveness of training of Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) strategies on reducing social anxiety
Languages of publication
The paper was aimed at exploring the efficacy of Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) strategies on social anxiety people referring to counseling centers. To do this, the number of 30 people with social anxiety disorder who had referred for counseling was selected as the sample, and completed Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale (1987). The pretest having been administered, 30 people were randomly placed in experimental and control groups respectively. The experimental group received ten sessions of training of neuro-linguistic programming strategies. The interventions were a combination of NLP tools, including the art of self-assertiveness, WACO system, Neuro-linguistic logical level, goal-setting, Switch system, chart sections, rapport, Metal model, encore and modeling. After the interventions were ended, the subjects of both groups were tested with Liebowitz Test twice. The data obtained were examined by using SPSS software ver.17 and statistical independent T Test. Research findings illustrated a significant difference between the experimental and control groups as regards posttest social anxiety scores (P = -0/001). Also, with regards to performance anxiety, a significant difference was seen between the two groups in the posttest (P = -0/001).
-  Aghakhani, N. (2011). Research paper on the comparison of group therapies in social phobia disorder.
-  American psychiatry Association. (2015). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Tehran: Nashre Ravan Publication.
-  Azad, H. (2005). Psychopathology. Tehran: SAMT publication.
-  Baker, S. L., Heinrichs, N., Kim, H. J., & Hofmann, S. G. (2002). The Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale as a self-report instrument: A preliminary psychometric analysis. Behavior Research and Therapy 40, 701-715.
-  Bandler, R. (2010). Change your life. Translated by Heidari Manjil, N., Tehran: Standard.
-  Bandura, A. (2001). Social theory. Tehran: Rahgosha publication.
-  Beck, A. T., Emery, G., & Greenberg, R. (1985 ) Anxiety disorders and phobias: a cognitive perspective. Basic Books, New York.
-  Bertelsen, P., & Lars, H. (1987). Om begret: klientens model AF verden? (The client model if the world). Psyke & logos 2, 375-408.
-  Davidson, J. R. T., Hughes D. L., George, L.K., & Blazer, D. G. (1993). The epidemiology of social phobia: Findings from the Duck Epidemiological Catchment Area Study. Psychological Medicine 23, 709-718.
-  Dermot, Y., & Jago, W. (2007). NLP; successful psychology, translated by R. Jamalian. Tehran: Nasle No-Andish Publication.
-  Eng, w., Heimberg, R. G., Cols, M. E., Schneier, F. R., & Liebowitz, M. R. (2000). An empirical approach to subtype identification in individuals with social phobia. Psychological Medicine 30, 1345-1357.
-  Essau C. A., Conradt, J., & Petermann, F. (1999). Frequency and comorbidity of social phobia and social fears in adolescents. Behav Res Ther. 37(9), 831-43.
-  Fyer, A. J., Mannuzza, S., Chapman, T. F., Liebowitz, M.R., & Klein, D. F. (1993). A direct interview family study of social phobia. Archives of General Psychiatry 50, 286-293.
-  Kendler, K. S., Neale, M. C., Kessler, R. C., Heath, A. C., & Eaves, L. J. (1992). The genetic epidemiology of phobias in women: The interrelations of agoraphobia, social phobia, situational phobia, and simple phobia. Archives of General Psychiatry 49, 273-281.
-  Kessler, R. C., Stein, M. B., & Berglund, P. (1998). Social phobia subtypes in the National Comorbidity Survey. American Journal of Psychiatry 155, 613-619.
-  -Kollman, D. M., Brown, T. A., Liverant, G. I., & Hofmann, S. G. (2006). A taxometric investigation of the latent structure of social anxiety disorder in outpatients with anxiety and mood disorder. Depression and Anxiety 23, 190-199.
-  Liebowits, M. R. (1987). Social phobia. Modern Problems in Pharmacopsychatry 22, 141-173.
-  Ohman, A. (1986). Face the beast and fear the face: Animal and social fears as prototypes for evolutionary analyses of emotion. Psychophysiology 23, 123-145.
-  Ohman, A., Dimberg, U., & Ost, L. G. (1985). Animal and social phobias: Biological constraints on learned fear responses. In S. Reiss & R. R. Bootzin (Eds), Theoretical issues in behavior therapy (pp. 123-178). Orlando, FL: Academic Press.
-  Rapee, R.M., & Spence, S. H. (2004). The etiology of social phobia empirical evidence and an initial model. Clin Psychol Rev. pp. 737-767.
-  Sadouk, B., Sadouk, V. & Ruiz, P. (2014). Summary of Kaplan and Sadouk's Psychiatry based on the DSM-5. Volume II. Tehran: Savalan.
-  Savardelavar, M. (2011). Neuro-linguistic programming, theoretical basics and cognitive behavioral applications, Tehran: Arjomand publication.
-  Schneier, F. R., Heckelman, L. R., Garfinkel, R., Campeas, R., Fallon, B., Gitow, A., Street, L., Delbene, D., & Liebowitz, M. R. (1994). Functional impairment in social phobia. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 55, 322-331.
-  Schneier, F. R., Johnson, J., Hornig, C. D., Liebowitz, M. R., & Weiss-man, M. M. (1992). Social phobia: Comorbidity and morbidity in an emidmiological sample. Archives of General Psychiatry 49, 282-288.
-  Shafi'e Abadi, A., & Naseri, G. (2001). Theories of counseling and psychotherapy. Tehran: Nashre Daneshgahi publication.
-  Sharon, C., Sung Eliora Porter, D. J., Robinaugh, E. H., Marks Luana, M., Marques, M. W., Otto Mark, H., Pollack Naomi, M. & Simon, M. (2012). Mood regulation and quality of life in social anxiety disorder: An examination of generalized expectancies for negative mood regulation. Journal of Anxiety Disorders 36(3), 435-441.
-  Stein, M. B., Walker, J. R., & Forde, D. R. (1996). Public speaking fears in a community sample. Prevalence, impact on functioning, and diagnostic classification. Archives of General Psychiatry 53, 169-174.
-  Stein, M. B., Torgrud, L. J., & Walker, J. (2000). Social phobia symptoms, subtypes, and severity. Archives of General Psychiatry 57, 1046-1052.
-  Stein, M. B., & Kean, Y. M. (2001). Disability and quality of life in social phobia: Epidemiologic findings. American Journal of Psychiatry 157, 1606-1613.
-  Todd, B., Kashdan, J. W. & Weeks, M. (2010). Social Anxiety, Positive Experiences, and Positive Events Social Anxiety (Second Edition). Journal of Clinical, Developmental, and Social Perspectives 41(3), 447-469.
-  Todd, B., Kashdan, W. & Breen, E. (2008). Social Anxiety and Positive Emotions: A Prospective Examination of a Self-Regulatory Model with Tendencies to Suppress or Express Emotions as a Moderating Variable. Journal of Behavior Therapy 39 (1), 1-12.
-  Zamini, S., Husseini Nasab, S. D. & Hashemi, T. (2007). The effectiveness of planned strategies neuro - linguistic programming achievement motivation and academic achievement of students. Research on mental health. Number 3.
-  -Safren, S. A., Heimberg, R. G., Horner, K. J., Juster, H. R., Schneier, F. R. & Liebowitz, M. R. (1999). Factor structure of social fears: The Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale. Journal of Anxiety Disorder 13, 235-270.
-  Slavkin, S. L., Holt, C. S., Heimberg, R. G., Jaccard, J. J, & Liebowitz, M. R. (1990). The Liebowitz Social Phobia Scale: An exploratory analysis of construct validity. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy, Washington, DC.
Publication order reference