Improved LSB based Image Steganography using Run Length encoding and Random Insertion technique for Colour Images
Languages of publication
Image Steganography is a technique for securing the secret message using a cover image in such a manner that the alterations made to the image are perceptually indiscernible. In this paper a novel method for secret message hiding in colour images is proposed. The message is encoded by extracting the RGB components of a colour image. Run length encoding is performed on the data and insertion of the data in least significant bits (LSB) of the pixel is guided by linear congruential generator (LCG). A 3R-3G-2B LSB pattern is recommended for insertion of the data making the information more secure without bringing any significant distortions to the original image. The experiments performed on various colour images demonstrate the efficiency of the proposed algorithm in terms of PSNR of cover image and that of stego-image.
-  Foley, J., et al., Computer Graphics, Principles and Practice, Reading, MA: Addison Wesley, 1990
-  N.F. Johnson, S.C. Katzenbeisser, A survey of steganographic techniques, in: S. Katzenbeisser, F.A.P. Petitcolas (Eds.), Information Hiding Techniques for Steganography and Digital Watermarking, Artech House, Inc., Norwood, 2000.
-  N.F. Johnson, S. Jajodia, Exploring steganography: seeing the unseen, IEEE Computer 31 (2) (1998) 26–34.
-  Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran, and P.M. Kevitt, Digital image steganography: survey and analysis of current methods, Signal Processing, vol. 90, pp. 727-752, 2010.
-  Gandharba Swain, Saroj Kumar Lenka, Classification of Image Steganography Techniques in Spatial Domain: A Study, International Journal of Computer Science & Engineering Technology 5(3), pp. 219-233, 2014
-  Aura, T., Practical Invisibility in Digital Communication, in Information Hiding: First International Workshop, Proceedings, vol. 1174 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 1996, pp. 265–278
-  Anderson, R. J., Stretching the Limits of Steganography, in Information Hiding: First International Workshop, Proceedings, vol. 1174 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 1996, pp. 39–48.
-  Anderson, R. J., and F. A. P. Petitcolas, On The Limits of Steganography, IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 16, no. 4, 1998, pp. 474–481
-  G.R. Manjula, Ajit Danti, A Novel Based Least Significant Bit (2-3-3) Image Steganography in Spatial Domain, International Journal of Security, Privacy and Trust Management Vol.4 No 1 february 2015.
-  R.Z. Wang, C.F. Lin, J.C. Lin, Image hiding by optimal LSB substitution and genetic algorithm, Pattern Recognition 34 (3) (2001) 671–683.
-  Chin‐Feng Lee, Chi‐Yao Weng, Aneesh Sharma. Steganographic access control in data hiding using run‐length encoding and modulo‐operations. Security and Communication Networks Volume 9, Issue 2, 25 January 2016, Pages 139-148
-  Rafael C. Gonzalez, Richard E. Woods, Run-Length Encoding, Digital Image Processing, 3rd edition, Chapter 8, section 8.2.5, pp. 553-559, 2011.
-  C. K. Chan, and L. M. Chang, Hiding data in images by simple LSB substitution, Pattern Recognition vol. 37, pp.469-474, 2004.
-  M. A. B. Younes, and A. Jantan, A new steganography approach for image encryption exchange by using least significant bit insertion, International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 247-254, 2008.
-  H. B. Kekre, A. A. Athawale, and P. N. Halarnkar, Increased capacity of information hiding in LSB’s method for text in image, International Journal of Electrical, Computer and System Engineering, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 246-249, 2008.
-  G. Swain, and S. K. Lenka, LSB array based image steganography technique by exploring the four least significant bits, CCIS, Vol. 270, part II, 2012, pp. 479-488.
-  M. T. Parvez, and A. A. Gutub, RGB intensity based variable-bits image steganography, Proceedings of IEEE Asia-pacific Services Computing Conference, 2008, pp. 1322-1327.
-  Gutub, A. Al-Qahtani, and A. Tabakh, Triple-A secure RGB image steganography based on randomization, Proceedings of IEEE/ACS International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications, 2009, pp. 400-403.
-  M. Kaur, S. Gupta, P. S. Sandhu, and J. Kaur, A dynamic RGB intensity based steganography scheme, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 67, pp. 833-836, 2010.
-  Krenn, R., Steganograph and Steganalysis, 2004. Retrieved September 8, 2007, from: https://www.krenn.nl/univ/cry/steg/article.pdf
-  Zhou Wang, Alan Conrad Bovik, Hamid Rahim Sheikh, Eero P. Simoncelli, Image Quality Assessment: From Error Visibility to Structural Similarity, IEEE Transactions On Image Processing, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 600-612 April 2004.
-  G. G Rajput, Ramesh Chavan, A Novel Approach for Image Steganography Based on LSB Technique”, International Conference on Compute and Data Analysis Proceedings ICCDA '17, May 19-23, 2017, Lakeland, FL, USA © 2017 Association for Computing Machinery, ACM ISBN 978-1-4503-5241-3/17/05.
-  Rajput, G G and Chavan, Ramesh, A Novel Approach for Image Steganography Based on Random LSB Insertion in Color Images (November 15, 2017). Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Computing Systems (ICICS 2017 – Dec 15th - 16th 2017) organized by Sona College of Technology, Salem, Tamil Nadu, India. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3131654
Publication order reference