Analysis of Transient Heat Transfer in a Longitudinal Fin with Functionally Graded Material in the Presence of Magnetic Field using Finite Difference Method
Languages of publication
In this study, finite difference method is used for the numerical analysis of the transient heat transfer analysis of a convective-radiative fin with functionally graded materials under the influence of Lorentz force is presented. Three cases of developed nonlinear thermal models of linear, quadratic, exponential and power-law variations of thermal conductivity are considered. The accuracy of the developed numerical code is verified as the results of the numerical solutions established good agreements with the results of the exact analytical solutions. Through the numerical solutions, parametric studies are carried out. From the results, it is shown that increase in radiative and magnetic field parameters as well as in-homogeneity index improve the thermal performance of the fin. Also, the transient responses reveal that the FGM fin with linear-law and power-law function shows the slowest and fastest thermal responses, respectively. This study will provide a very good platform for further studies on the design of extended surfaces where the surrounding fluid is influenced by a magnetic field.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos State, Nigeria
- School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Faculty of Engineering and Informatics, University of Bradford, West Yorkshire, UK
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Lagos, Akoka, Lagos State, Nigeria
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo, Nigeria
-  S. E. Ghasemi, M. Hatami and D. D. Ganji. Thermal analysis of convective fin with temperature-dependent thermal conductivity and heat generation, Cases Studies in Thermal Engineering 2014; 4: 1-8.
-  S. Sadri, M. R. Raveshi and S. Amiri. Efficiency analysis of straight fin with variable heat transfer coefficient and thermal conductivity. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 2012; 26(4): 1283-1290.
-  M.G. Sobamowo, Thermal analysis of longitudinal fin with temperature-dependent properties and internal heat generation using Galerkin’s method of weighted residual. Applied Thermal Engineering 99 (2016) 1316-1330.
-  S. Kiwan and M. A. Al-Nimr, Using Porous Fins for Heat Transfer Enhancement. Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 123, pp. 790-795, 2000.
-  S. Kiwan, Effect of radiative losses on the heat transfer from porous fins. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 46, pp. 1046-1055, 2007.
-  S. Kiwan, Thermal Analysis of Natural Convection Porous Fins. Transport in Porous Media, vol. 67, p. 17, 2006.
-  O. Z. S. Kiwan, Natural convection in a horizontal cylindrical annulus using porous fins. International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow, vol. 18, pp. 618-634, 2008.
-  A. Shalchi-Tabrizi and H. R. Seyf. Analysis of entropy generation and convective heat transfer of Al2O3 nanofluid flow in a tangential micro heat sink. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 55, pp. 4366-4375, 2012.
-  S. M. H. Hashemi, S. A. Fazeli, H. Zirakzadeh, and M. Ashjaee. Study of heat transfer enhancement in a nanofluid-cooled miniature heat sink. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 39, pp. 877-884, 2012.
-  T.-C. Hung, W.-M. Yan, X.-D. Wang, and C.-Y. Chang. Heat transfer enhancement in microchannel heat sinks using nanofluids. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 55, pp. 2559-2570, 2012.
-  H. R. Seyf and M. Feizbakhshi, "Computational analysis of nanofluid effects on convective heat transfer enhancement of micro-pin-fin heat sinks," International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 58, pp. 168-179, 2012/08/01/ 2012.
-  S. A. Fazeli, S. M. Hosseini Hashemi, H. Zirakzadeh, and M. Ashjaee. Experimental and numerical investigation of heat transfer in a miniature heat sink utilizing silica nanofluid. Superlattices and Microstructures, vol. 51, pp. 247-264, 2012.
-  S.-M. Kim and I. Mudawar. Analytical heat diffusion models for different micro-channel heat sink cross-sectional geometries. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 53, pp. 4002-4016, 2010.
-  P. Naphon, S. Klangchart, and S. Wongwises, Numerical investigation on the heat transfer and flow in the mini-fin heat sink for CPU. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 36, pp. 834-840, 2009.
-  P. Naphon and O. Khonseur. Study on the convective heat transfer and pressure drop in the micro-channel heat sink. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 36, pp. 39-44, 2009.
-  T. Y. Kim and S. J. Kim, Fluid flow and heat transfer characteristics of cross-cut heat sinks. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 52, pp. 5358-5370, 2009.
-  T.-C. Hung, W.-M. Yan, and W.-P. Li, Analysis of heat transfer characteristics of double-layered microchannel heat sink. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 55, pp. 3090-3099, 2012.
-  Z. M. Wan, G. Q. Guo, K. L. Su, Z. K. Tu, and W. Liu. Experimental analysis of flow and heat transfer in a miniature porous heat sink for high heat flux application. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 55, pp. 4437-4441, 2012.
-  D. Lelea, Effects of inlet geometry on heat transfer and fluid flow of tangential micro-heat sink. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 53, pp. 3562-3569, 2010.
-  X. Yu, J. Feng, Q. Feng, and Q. Wang, Development of a plate-pin fin heat sink and its performance comparisons with a plate fin heat sink. Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 25, pp. 173-182, 2005.
-  L. Chai, G. Xia, M. Zhou, and J. Li, Numerical simulation of fluid flow and heat transfer in a microchannel heat sink with offset fan-shaped reentrant cavities in sidewall. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 38, pp. 577-584, 2011.
-  M. B. Rahim Hassanzadeh, Improvement of thermal efficiency in computer heat sink using functionally graded materials. Communications on Advanced Computational Science with Applications, vol. 2014, pp. 1-13, 2014.
-  C. Bailey, Thermal Management Technologies for Electronic Packaging: Current Capabilities and Future Challenges for Modelling Tools. In 2008 10th Electronics Packaging Technology Conference, 2008, pp. 527-532.
-  D. P. Kulkarni and D. K. Das, Analytical and numerical studies on microscale heat sinks for electronic applications. Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 25, pp. 2432-2449, 2005.
-  T. Dang, J.-t. Teng, and J.-c. Chu, A study on the simulation and experiment of a microchannel counter-flow heat exchanger. Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 30, pp. 2163-2172, 2010.
-  L. Li, M. Nagar, and X. Jie, Effect of thermal interface materials on manufacturing and reliability of Flip Chip PBGA and SiP packages. In 2008 58th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 2008, pp. 973-978.
-  X. Luo, W. Xiong, T. Cheng, and S. Liu, Design and optimization of horizontally-located plate fin heat sink for high power LED street lamps. In 2009 59th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 2009, pp. 854-859.
-  R. Kandasamy, X.-Q. Wang, and A. S. Mujumdar, Transient cooling of electronics using phase change material (PCM)-based heat sinks. Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 28, pp. 1047-1057, 2008.
-  K.-T. Chiang, Modeling and optimization of designing parameters for a parallel-plain fin heat sink with confined impinging jet using the response surface methodology. Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 27, pp. 2473-2482, 2007.
-  S. A. O. David Gottlieb, Numerical Analysis of Spectral Methods: Theory and Applications (CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 1987.
-  Y. H. Claudio Canuto, Alfio Quarteroni, Thomas A. Zang, Spectral Methods in Fluid Dynamics: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 1988.
-  R. Peyret, Spectral Methods for Incompressible Viscous Flow. New York, USA: Springer-Verlag New York, 2002.
-  F. B. Belgacem and M. Grundmann, Approximation of the Wave and Electromagnetic Diffusion Equations by Spectral Method. SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, vol. 20, pp. 13-32, 1998.
-  X. Shan, D. Montgomery, and H. Chen, Nonlinear magnetohydrodynamics by Galerkin-method computation. Physical Review A, vol. 44, pp. 6800-6818, 1991.
-  J. P. Wang, Fundamental problems in spectral methods and ﬁnite spectral method. Acta Aerodynamica Sinica, vol. 19, pp. 161-171, 2001.
-  E. M. E. Elbarbary and M. El-Kady, Chebyshev finite difference approximation for the boundary value problems. Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 139, pp. 513-523, 2003.
-  Z. J. Z. Z.J. Huang, Chebyshev spectral collocation method for solution of Burgers’ equation and laminar natural convection in two-dimensional cavities, Bachelor. B.Sc, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, 2009.
-  N. T. Eldabe and M. E. M. Ouaf, Chebyshev finite difference method for heat and mass transfer in a hydromagnetic flow of a micropolar fluid past a stretching surface with Ohmic heating and viscous dissipation. Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 177, pp. 561-571, 2006.
-  A. H. Khater, R. S. Temsah, and M. M. Hassan, A Chebyshev spectral collocation method for solving Burgers’-type equations. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 222, pp. 333-350, 2008.
-  E. H. Doha, A. H. Bhrawy, and S. S. Ezz-Eldien, Efficient Chebyshev spectral methods for solving multi-term fractional orders differential equations. Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 35, pp. 5662-5672, 2011.
-  M. G. Sobamowo, G. A. Oguntala and A. A. Yinusa. Nonlinear Transient Thermal Modeling and Analysis of a Convective-Radiative Fin with Functionally Graded Material in a Magnetic Environment. Modeling and Simulations in Engineering, Volume 2019, Article ID 7878564, 16 pages.
Publication order reference