Structural and seismic sequence stratigraphy analysis of seismic and biostratigraphy data from an onshore field, Niger Delta, Nigeria
Languages of publication
The structural and sequence stratigraphy of a Niger Delta onshore field has been analysed from seismic and biostratigraphy data in order to assess the hydrocarbon potential of the area. Seven faults F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6 and F7 were delineated in the seismic sections. The faults, F1, F4, F6 and F7 are synthetic faults, while F2, F3 and F5 are antithetic. Two horizons H1 and H2 were identified in the seismic sections within the time window of 2200-2600 ms. The seismic sequence stratigraphy analysis revealed five sequence boundaries S1, S2, S3, S4 and S5, which represent four depositional sequences. Four maximum flooding surfaces (MFS) were also delineated in the seismic data. The analysis of the biostratigraphy data thus revealed four sequence boundaries (S1, S2, S3, S4) and three maximum surfaces (MFS1, MFS2 and MF3). The age of the sequence boundary ranges from 13.1Ma to 8.3 Ma. The age of the observed maximum flooding surfaces ranges from 12.8 Ma to 9.4 Ma. In vertical succession, the depositional sequences were identified by the order; sequence boundary, lowstand system tract (LST), Transgressive system tract (TST), Maximum flooding surface (MFS), and Highstand system tract (HST). The lowstand system tract is made up of stacking pattern of sand, while the transgressive system tract thinned into the condense section.
-  Adedokun, O.A., 1981. Petrology, Provenance and Depositional environments of the reservoir sandstones of Ossu – Izombe Oilfield, Imo State, Nigeria. Journal of Petroleum Geology, vol. 4. no 1, pp. 35-36
-  Evamy, B. D., Heremboure, J., Kameling, P., Knap, W. A., Molloy, F. A. and Rowlands, P. H. (1978): Hydrocarbon Habitat of Tertiary Niger Delta. American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bullettin. Vol. 62. p. 1-39.
-  Hamed, E.M and Kurt, J.M., 2008. Structural interpretation of the Middle Frio Formation using 3-D seismic and well logs: An example from the Texas Gulf Coast of the United States, The Leading Edge, vol. 27, No. 7; pp. 840-854.
-  Lawrence, S.R., Munday, S., and Bray, R., 2002. Regional geology and geophysics of the eastern Gulf of Guinea (Niger Delta to Rio Muni). The Leading Edge, v. 21, pp. 1112-1117.
-  Short, K. C. and Stauble, A. J. (1967): Outline Geology of Niger Delta. American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin Vol. 51. p. 761 – 779.
-  Weber, K. J. (1971). Sedimentological Aspect of Oil field in the Niger Delta Geology. Minjbouw. Geologic en munbouw Vol. 50. p. 559-576.
-  Wiener, R. W., Helwig, J. A., and Rongpei, J., 1997. Seismic Interpretation and Structural Analysis of the Rifted Thrust Belt, Jianghan Basin, China. The Leading Edge, Vol. 60, No. 8; pp. 1177-1183.
-  O.T. Udo and E.E. Etuk, Application of infrared spectroscopy for rapid petroleum source rock evaluation, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 37, 2, (285), (1990).
-  M. I. Odigi, Clay-mineral studies of the subsurface Niger Delta. Journal of Petroleum Geology, 17, 4, (445-460), (2007).
-  F. E. Oboh, Depositional history of the E2.0 reservoir in the Kolo Creek field, Niger Delta. Journal of Petroleum Geology, 16, 2, (197-212), (2007).
-  L. C. Amajor and D. W. Agbaire, Depositional history of the reservoir sandstones, Akpor and Apara oilfields, eastern Niger Delta, Nigeria. Journal of Petroleum Geology, 12, 4, (453-464), (2007).
-  T.J.A. Reijers, S.W. Petters, C.S. Nwajide. Chapter 7, The Niger delta basin. Sedimentary Basins of the World Volume 3, 1997, Pages 151-172
-  C.M. Ekweozor, J.I. Okogun, D.E.U. Ekong, J.R. Maxwell, Preliminary organic geochemical studies of samples from the Niger delta (Nigeria) I. Analyses of crude oils for triterpanes. Chemical Geology Volume 27, Issues 1–2, October 1979, Pages 11-28
-  Akinsehinwa Akinlua. The role of analytical chemistry in Niger Delta petroleum exploration: A review. Analytica Chimica Acta Volume 730, 12 June 2012, Pages 24-32
-  Mark E. Deptuck, Zoltan Sylvester, Carlos Pirmez, Ciaran O’Byrne. Migration–aggradation history and 3-D seismic geomorphology of submarine channels in the Pleistocene Benin-major Canyon, western Niger Delta slope. Marine and Petroleum Geology Volume 24, Issues 6–9, June–November 2007, Pages 406-433
-  Enuvie G. Akpokodje. The engineering-geological characteristics and classification of the major superficial soils of the Niger Delta. Engineering Geology Volume 23, Issues 3–4, July 1987, Pages 193-211
Publication order reference