Electronic structures of CdSe quantum dots embedded in ZnSe
Languages of publication
The electronic structures and optical matrix elements of CdSe semiconductor quantum dots of near cubical, hemispherical and cylindrical shape embedded in ZnSe were calculated. Bulk Hamiltonian matrices were obtained using the empirical tight binding method including spin-orbital coupling and relativistic effects. All quantum dots were simulated in reciprocal space and the number of atoms in each quantum dot was kept nearly equal for the comparison purpose. An adjacency matrix was produced which indicates the adjacencies of unit cells and the bulk Hamiltonian was included for each adjacency point in order to obtain the quantum dot Hamiltonians. The strain effects, valence band offset and spin orbital coupling were included in the calculations. The quantum dot Hamiltonian was solved to obtain the highest and lowest eigenvalues from which the electronic structure was obtained. Then eigenvalues near integers ranging from the lowest eigenvalue to highest eigenvalue was generated for the point.
-  A. I. Ekimov, The quantum size effect in three-dimensional microscopic semiconductor, A. A. Onuschenko, JETP Lett., vol. 34, pp. 363-366, 1981.
-  L. E. Brus, Electron–electron and electron‐hole interactions in small semiconductor crystallites: The size dependence of the lowest excited electronic state, J. Chemical Phys. vol. 80, no. 9, pp. 4403-4409, 1984.
-  D. Ioannou, D. Griffin, Nanotechnology and molecular cytogenetics: the future has not yet arrived, Nano Rev. vol. 1, p. 5117, 2010.
-  T. Passow, K. Leonardi, H. Heinke, D. Hommel, D. Litvinov, A. Rosenauer, D. Gerthsen, J. Seufert, G. Bacher, and A. Forchel. Quantum dot formation by segregation enhanced CdSe reorganization. J. Appl. Phys. Vol. 92, p. 6546, 2002.
-  F. Bloch, (1928). Über die Quantenmechanik der Elektronen in Kristallgittern. Z. Phys. vol. 52, pp. 555-600, 1928.
-  J. C. Slater, G. F. Koster, Simplified LCAO Method for the Periodic Potential Problem. Phys. Rev. vol. 94, no. 6, pp. 1458-1524, 1954.
-  T. Saito and Y. Arakawa, Electronic structure of piezoelectric In0.2Ga0.8N quantum dots in GaN calculated using a tight-binding method, Physica E 15, 169 (2002).
-  R. Santoprete, B. Koiller, R. B. Capaz, P. Kratzer, Q. K. K. Liu, and M. Scheffler. Tight-Binding study of the influence of the strain on the electronic properties of InAs/GaAs quantum dots. Phys. Rev. B 68, 235311 (2003).
-  S. Schulz, Electronic and Optical Properties of Quantum Dots: A Tight-Binding Approach, Doctor of Science dissertation, Institute for Theoritical Physics, University of Bremen, Bremen 2007.
-  T. Kiessling, G. V. Astakhov, A. V. Platonov, T. Slobodskyy, S. Mahapatra, W. Ossau, G. Schmidt, K. Brunner and L. W. Molenkamp. Optical anisotropy of CdSe/ZnSe quantum dots. Phys. Stat. Sol. (c) 3, pp. 912-915 (2006)
-  K.A.I.L Wijewardena, D. Neilson, J. Szymansky, Adsorption of Zinc on Cadmium Telluride and Mercury Telluride surface, Phys.Rev. B 44/12, 6344-6350 (1991).
-  Y. C. Chang, Bond-orbital models for superlattices, Phys. Rev. B 37, 8215 (1988).
-  Y. D. Kim, M. V. Klein, S. F. Ren, Y. C. Chang, H. Luo, N. Samarth, and J. K. Furdyna, Optical properties of zinc blende CdSe and ZnxCd1−xSe films grown on GaAs. Phys. Rev. B 49, 7262 (1994).
-  J. C. Phillips, Bonds and bands in semiconductors (Academic Press, New York, 1973).
-  C. G. Van de Walle, J. Neugebauer, Universal alignment of hydrogen levels in semiconductors, insulators and solutions, Nature vol. 423, p. 626, (2003).
-  C. Pryor, J. Kim, L. W. Wang, A. J. Williamson, and A. Zunger. Comparison of two methods for describing the strain profiles in quantum dots. J. Appl. Phys. vol. 83, p. 2548, 1998.
-  J. Sing, Electronic and optoelectronic properties of semiconductor structures, Cambridge University press, U.K., 2003 pp. 32-34
-  S. Smith, (2011). Computational Techniques for Solving the Sparse Matrix Eigen value Problem for Semiconductor Bandstructure calculation. Florida: University of Florida.
Publication order reference