Effects of Intra-Row Spacing of Pearl Millet (Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br) and Cropping Systems on the Productivity of Soybean-Pearl Millet Intercropping System in a Southern Guinea Savanna Location, Nigeria
Languages of publication
A field experiment was conducted from June to November, during the 2013 and 2014 cropping seasons at the Research Farm, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria, to evaluate the effects of intra-row spacing of pearl millet and cropping systems on the productivity of soybean-pearl millet intercrop and to assess the yield advantages of the intercropping system. The experiment was a 3x4 factorial arrangement of treatments, fitted in a randomized complete block design (RCBD), replicated four times. The cropping systems (sole soybean, sole pearl millet and soybean-pearl millet intercrop) constituted the main plots, while the intra-row spacing of pearl millet (15 cm, 20 cm, 25 cm and 30 cm) into soybean were allocated to the subplots. Results of study showed that to maximize intercrop yields of soybean and pearl millet in a soybean-pearl millet intercrop, the optimal intra-row spacing for pearl millet is 30 cm. Intercropping soybean and pearl millet significantly (P ≤ 0.05) reduced yields of soybean (25.0 % and 22.2 % respectively, in years 2013 and 2014) and that of pearl millet (34.4 % and 33.3 % respectively, in years 2013 and 2014). Though, the highest land equivalent ratio (LER) values, highest land equivalent coefficient (LEC) values and lowest competitive ratio (CR) values were recorded for pearl millet sown into soybean at the intra-row spacing of 15 cm, however, highest aggressivity was obtained sowing pearl millet into soybean at the intra-row spacing of 25 cm, the level at which both crops dominated each other.
-  Adetiloye P.O., Ezedinma F.O.C., Okigbo B.N., Ecological Modeling 19 (1983) 27-39.
-  Ayoola O.T., Makinde E.A., Tropical and Subtropical Agroecosystems 8(3) (2008) 235-241.
-  BOSADP (2006). Cropping recommendations. Borno State Agricultural Development Programme, Annual Report, Pp. 53.
-  Dewey L., Hanna W.G., David B., William D., Jeffrey P.W. (2012). Pearl millet for Grain, CAES Publications, London, Pp. 76.
-  Dugje I.Y., Omoigui L.O., Ekeleme F., Bandyopadhyay R., Kumar P.L., Kamara A.Y. (2009). Farmers guide to soybean production in Nigeria, pp. 16.
-  Ekpete D.M., Nigerian Agricultural Journal 13 (2000) 96-102.
-  FAO (1997). Human nutrition in the developing world. FAO Food and Nutrition Series, No 29, Italy, Rome.
-  FAOSTAT (2012). Summary of world food and agricultural statistics. www.fao.org/faostat.
-  Getachar T., Belew D., Tulu S., International Journal of Agricultural Research 5 (2012) 30-35.
-  Ijoyah M.O., Idoko J.A., Iorlamen T., Journal of Basic and Applied Research International 4(1) (2015) 26-38.
-  Ijoyah M.O., Alexander A., Fanen F.T., Agriculture and Biology Journal of Northern America (6) (2012) 1328-1332.
-  Ijoyah M.O., Atanu S.O., Ojo S., Journal of Applied Biosciences 32 (2010) 2015-2019.
-  IITA (2009). http//www.iita.org.accessed July 21, 2013.
-  Madu F.O., Nwosu S.K. (2001). Effect of fertilizer and time of interplanting maize on the performance of yam-maize intercrop. Proceedings of the 2nd annual farming systems research and extension workshop in Southern Eastern Nigeria, Umudike, January 10-14, pp. 27-30.
-  Mass A.C., Hanna W.W., Mullinix B.G., Journal of SAT Agricultural Research 5(1) (2007) 1-4.
-  McGilchrist C.A., Biometrics 27 (1971) 659-671.
-  Miko S., Manga A.A., PAT 4(2) (2008) 66-73.
-  Muoneke C.O., Ogwuche M.A.O., Kalu B.A., African Journal of Agricultural Research 2(12) (2007) 667-677.
-  Olufajo O.O., Tropical Oil Seeds Journal 1 (1992) 27-33.
-  Silwana T.T., Lucas E.O., Journal of Agricultural Science 138 (2002) 193-200.
-  Steel G.O., Torrie J.H. (1980). Principles and procedures of statistics. A biometrical approach. 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill Book International Company, New York, Pp. 633.
-  Willey R.W., Experimental Agriculture 21 (1985) 119-133.
-  Willey R.W., Rao M.R., Experimental Agriculture 16 (1980) 117-125.
Publication order reference