Physico-chemical properties and fatty acid composition of Lagneraria siceraria seed oil
Languages of publication
Oil as extracted from the dehulled seeds of Lagneraria siceraria (bottle gourd) and analysed for physico-chemical properties as well a fatty acid composition. Standard procedures were employed in all analysis. The seed oil was liquid at room temperature with percentage yield (23.65%). It was characterized in terms of specific gravity (0.918 g/cm3), refractive index (1.34), viscosity (26.46 X 103 poise), melting point (11-14.5 °C), moisture content (0.18%), saponification value (203.36 mg KOH/g), unsaponifiable matter (7.13%), iodine value (46.1 g/100g), peroxide value (7.5 meq/kg), free fatty acid value (18.42%), acid value (60.02 mg KOH/g) and ester value (143.34 mg KOH/g). The oil is classified as non- drying (iodine value ˂115 g/100 g). The peroxide value indicates that the oil is less prone to rancidity with iodine value less than 30meq/kg. The high saponification value qualifies it for use in the manufacture of soaps and shampoos. Four classes of fatty acid were identified in the oil: palmitic acid (C16:1) (13.5 ± 0.21), stearic acid (C18:1) (6.5 ± 0.96), oleic acid (C18:1) (11.6 ± 0.62) and linoleic acid (C18:2) (68.4 ± 0.13). Linoleic acid was the most abundant fatty acid in the oil. The fatty acid content of the oil revealed that L. Siceraria seed oil could be a rich source of oil for domestic and industrial purposes if richly exploited.
-  Akakuru, O. U., Magu, T. O., Louis, H., Maitera, O. N., Fidelis, T. T. and Bisong, E. A. (2017). comparative study of some heavy metal concentrations in Coconut Fluid and Milk obtained from Taraba, Imo and Adamawa States, Nigeria. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 7(3), 138-140
-  Akintayo, E. T. (2009). Preparation of new chemical feed stock from Adenopus breviflorus seed oil. Accessed online on 5th March, 2017
-  Akintayo, E. T., Adebayo, E. A. and Arogundade, L. A. (2002). Chemical composition, phytochemical and functional properties of Akee (Bsapida) pulp and seed flows. Food Chem. 77, 333-336
-  O. A. C. (1984). Official Method of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 15th ed. Washington D. C., USA.
-  Aremu, M. O., Olonisakin, A., Bako, D. A. and Madu, P. C. (2006). Compositional studies and physicochemical characteristics of Cashew nut flour. Pak. J. Nutr. 5, 328-333
-  Cherry J. (1998). Egusi seeds are high in oil and protein. Oil Crops Processing 1, 4-8
-  Chineye, G. C., Akugwo, E. J., Chineye, N. I. and Ugbogu, A. E. (2009). Nutritional value of Lagenariasphaerica seed (wild bottle gours) from South- Eastern Nigeria. Parkistan Journal of Nutrition 8 (3), 284-287
-  FAO. (1982). Food Composition Rable for the near East Nuts and Seeds. FAO Food and Nutrition Paper, 26, p. 85.
-  Fokou, E., Achu, M. B. and Tchouanguep, M. F. (2004). Preliminary nutritional evaluation of five species of egusi seeds in Cameroun. Afr. J. Food Agric. Nur. Dev. 4, 1-11
-  Idiourain, A., Kohlhepp, E. A., Weber, C. W., Warid, W. A. and Martinez T. J. (1996). Nutrient constituents from eight lines of Naked Squash (Cucurbita pepo). J. Agric. Food Chem. 44, 731-734
-  Kirschenbauer, H. G. (1965). Fats and Oils: An outline of their chemistry and Technology. Reinhold Publishing and Co., New York.
-  Noris, E. A. (1965). Fats and fatty acids in Kirk-orthmer. Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, 8: 770-881.
-  Martin, F. (1998). Cucurbit seeds as possible oil and protein sources for small scale household use in the hot humid tropics. Oil Crops Processing. 1, 1-4
-  Oluba, O. M., Ogunlowo, Y. R., Ojieh, G. C., Adebisi, K. E., Eidangle, G. O. and Isiosio, I. O. (2008). Physicochemical properties and fatty acid composition of Citrullus lanatus (Egusi melon) seed oil. Journal of Biological Sciences, 8 (4), 814-817
-  Okpako, E. C., Louis, H., Magu, T. O., Akwo, J. K., Akakuru, O. U. and Bisong, E. A. (2017). Phytochemical screening and proximate nutritional analysis of brown leaves of Indian almond (Terminalia catappa L.). International Journal of Scientific Research Publications, 7 (3), 141-144
-  Sunday, E. A., Israel, A. U. and Magu, T. O. (2016). Proximate Analysis and Mineral Element Composition of False Yam (Icacina Trichantha) Tuber and Oyster Mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus). Equatorial Journal of Chemical Sciences, 1(1), 125-135
-  Umeri, S. C., Onuagha, M. C. and Nwobi, S. C. (2009). Characterization and utilization of Adenopus breviflorus Benth (Curcurbitaccae) seed oil. Natural and Applied Sciences Journal 10 (1), 104-111
Publication order reference