Optimization of polycondensation process of alkyd resin synthesis from modified Picralima nitida seed oil suitable for surface coating of metal
Languages of publication
The potential of synthesizing an air drying alkyd resin through polycondensation of non-drying Picralima nitida seed oil (PNSO) was investigated. The structural elucidation of the raw PNSO, de-saturated PNSO and PNSO based alkyd resin were evaluated using FTIR. Design matrix and response Surface methodology were used to model the process variables. Artificial neural network was further used to examine the sensitivity analysis of the studied process variables. The results obtained showed that modified PNSO has high drying rate in the presence of drying agent, exhibit excellent adhesion, abrasion and chemical properties. Optimum responses of 82% conversion, viscosity of 269 cp and molecular weight average of 4434 g/mol were predicted at a temperature of 260 ºC, time of 134 mins, oil ratio of 0.286, catalyst concentration of 0.062 wt and a stirring rate of 595rpm. Correspondent experimental results using the same optimal conditions gave optimum conversion of 83% of alkyd resin, viscosity of 271cp and MWA of 4440 g/mol.
-  Aigbodion A.I., Okieimen, F.E. 1996. Kinetics of the preparation of rubber seed oil alkyds, European Polymer Journal 32, 1105-1108, https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-3057(96)00053-5
-  Alvarez. J, Lopez. T, Robust dynamic state estimation of nonlinear plants, AIChE Journal 45 (1) (1999)
-  Ansa-Asamoah, R. Kapadia, G.J., Lloyd, H.A., E.A. Sokoloski, E.A. 1990. Picratidine, new indole alkaloid from Picralima nitida seeds, J. Nat. Prod. 153, 4, 975-977.
-  Ezeugo J N O, Onukwuli O D, Omotioma M. 2018. Inhibition of Aluminium corrosion in 1.0 M HCl using Picralima nitida leaf extract, Der Pharma Chemica, 10 SI 7-13
-  Etukudo, I. 2003. Conventional and traditional us e s of plants, Ethnobotany, Uyo The Verdict Press, 1, 191.
-  Ezeugo J N O, Onukwuli O D, Omotioma M. (2017). Optimization of corrosion inhibition of picralima nitida leaves extract as green corrosion inhibitor for zinc in 1.0 HCl. World News of Natural Sciences 15, 139-161
-  Ghazanfari, Mehdi, Arkat, Jamal, 2004. Neural Networks (Principles and Applications) science and Industry University of Iran.
-  Gogte, B.B, Dabhade, S.B, 1981. Alkyd Based on Non Edible Oils Karanja Oil (Pongamia glabra), Paint India, pp. 3–5.
-  Golan, A.; Sandovski, Y.; Kahn, V., 2013. Evaluation of Browning Potential in Avocado Mesocarp, Journal of Food Science 42: 853-855.
-  Gomez, R. F. and Bates, R.P. 2013. Storage Deterioration of Freeze- Dried Avocado Puree and Guacamole. Journal of Food Science 35: 472-475.
-  Henerndez-Escoto. H, Lopez. T, Alvarez. J, 2010. Estimation of alkyd reactors with discrete-delayed measurements, Chemical Engineering Journal 160, 698-707
-  Hernández. H, Alvarez. J, 2003. Robust estimation of continuous nonlinear plants with discrete measurements, Journal of Process Control 13, 69-89
-  Haeri, Seyed Mohsen, Sadati, Naser, Mahin Rousta, Reza, 2000. Using Neural Network for Anticipating Tension Behavior, Strain of Clay, Set of Articles at 5th International Civil.
-  Hester, O. C, and T. S. Stephens, 1997.Development and Preliminary Test of a Frozen Avocado Salad Base. Journal of Rio Grande Valley Horticultural Science 24: 176-180.
-  Hlaing, N.N, Mya, O, 2008. Manufacture of alkyd resin from castor oil, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 24, 115–161.
-  Igwe, I.O, Ogbobe, O, 2000. Studies on the properties of polyester and polyester blends of selected vegetable oil, Journal of Applied Polymer Science 75, 1441–1446.
-  Ikhuoria, E. U. and Maliki, M., 2007. Characterisation of Avocado Pear (Persea Americana) and African Pear (Dacryodes edulis) Extracts. African Journal of Biotechnology 6(7): 950-952.
-  Iwu, M., 1993. Hand book of African medicinal plants. U.S.A, CRC Press Inc., 219-221.
-  Jirovetz, L.; Buchbawer, G.; Geissler, M.; Ngassoum, M. B.; Parmentler, M., 2003. Pulp Aroma Compounds of Untreated, Boiled and Roasted African Pear (Dacryodes edulis (Don. G) Lam. H. J) Fruits from Cameroon by HS-SPME Analysis Complied with GC/FID and GC/MS. European Food Resources Technology, 218: 40-43
-  Kahn, V., 1997.Polyphenol Oxidase Activity and Browning of Three Avocado Varieties. Journal of Science Food Agriculture, 26: 1319-1324.
-  Kapadia, G.J., Angerhofer, C.K., R. Ansa-Asamoah, R. 1993. Akuammine: an antimalarial indolemonoterpene alkaloid of Picralima nitida seeds. Planta Medica, 59, 6, 565-566
-  Katarina, M.R., Jelena, M.A., Petar, S.M., Olivera, S.S., 2013. Optimization of ultrasound-assisted base-catalysed methanolysis of sunflower oil using response surface and artificial neural network methodology. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2015-2016 pp.82-89..
-  Manpreet, S.B., Dhriti K., Rajeev, K.K., Akepati, S.R., Ashwani, K.T., 2011. RSM and ANN modeling for electrocoagulation of copper from simulated wastewater: Multi objective optimization using genetic algorithm approach. Desalination, 274 pp.74-80.
-  Menkiti, M.C, Onukwuli, O.D, 2011. Utilization potentials of rubber seed oil for the production of alkyd resin using variable base oil lengths, New York Science Journal 4 (2) pp. 51–58.
-  Mirzazadeh, T., Mohammadi, F., Soltanieh, M., Joudaki, E., 2008. Optimization of caustic current efficiency in a zero-gap advanced chlor-alkali cell with application of generic algorithm assisted by artificial neural networks. Chem. Eng. J. 140, 157-164.
-  Morton JF., 2009. Avocado In Fruits of Warm Climates. Creative Resource Systems, Inc., Winterville, NC and Centre for New Crops & Plant Products, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architechure, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. pp. 91-102. ISBN 0-9610184-1-0
-  Neuwinger, H. D., 2000. African Traditional Medicine. Medpharm, Stuttgert, Germany.
-  Odetoye, T.E., D.S. Ogunniyi, G.A. Olatunji, 2012. Improving Jatropha curcas linnaeus oil alkyd drying properties. Progress in Organic Coatings 73, 374-381
-  Ogunniyi, D.S. and Odetoye, T. E., 2008. Preparation and evaluation of tobacco seed oil-modified alkyd resins. Bioresource Technology, (99) 1300-1304.
-  Okieimen, F.E. and Aigbodion, A.I., 1997. Studies in molecular weight determination of rubber seed oil alkyd resins. Industrial Crops and Products, 6, 155-161.
-  Okolie, P.N., 2012. Extraction and characterization of oil from Jatrophacurcas seed. World J. Agric. Sci. 8(4), 359–365.
-  Onuegbu, N. C.; Adedokun, I. I.; Kabuo, N. O. and Nwosu, J. N. 2011. Amino Acid Profile and Micronutrient Composition of the African Pear (Dacryodes edulis) Pulp. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 10(6): 555-557.
-  Pablo, C.G., Hugo, D.M., Alberto, A.I., Alejandro, J.B., Hector, C.G., 2010. Application of response surface methodology and artificial neural networks for optimization of recombinant Oryza sativa non-symbiotic hemoglobin 1 production by Escherichia coli in medium containing byproduct glycerol. Bioresource Technology, 101, 7537-7544.
-  RMRDC, 2012. Avocado Utilisation: Its Industrial and Economic Potential. Raw Materials Research and Development Council Publication, 76 pp.
-  Werman, M. J. and Neeman, I. 1990. Avocado Oil Production and Chemical Characteristics. Journal of American Oil Chemists’ Society 64, 2.229-232
-  J. N. O. Ezeugo, O. D. Onukwuli, M. Omotioma (2017). Optimization of corrosion inhibition of Picralima nitida leaves extract as green corrosion inhibitor for zinc in 1.0 M HCl. World News of Natural Sciences 15, 139-161
Publication order reference