Improving cancer outcomes through better cancer data in Poland
Languages of publication
Based on NFZ published aggregate data, the public spending on cancer care in Poland was 6.3 billion PLN in 2011 (or approximately 10% of total public health spending). Poland is one of the few large countries in the world that has two centralised and public data sources for cancer, namely the National Cancer Registry (NCR, pol. Krajowy Rejestr Nowotworów – KRN) and activity expenditure database run by the National Health Fund (NFZ, pol. Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia). We show in our article that having a population-based registry and a complete treatment/clinical care dataset is a necessary condition to have a useful cancer strategy data set that can in turn lead to evidence based health policies in the area of cancer. Lack of audited and publicly available cancer data means that a coherent cancer strategy, assessing service provision and cost effectiveness of treatments and monitoring outcomes is, in our opinion, currently not possible in Poland. We postulate that Poland should create a task force to create cancer data strategy based on NCIN (National Cancer Intelligence Network) in the UK or Cancer Australia.
- Praktyka leczenia raka piersi w Polsce, Adam Kozierkiewicz et al, NOWOTWORY Journal of Oncology 2012, volume 62, number 4, 250–262
- Porównanie liczebności zbiorów Krajowego Rejestru Nowotoworów i Narodowego Funduszu Zdrowia na przykladzie nowotworów piersi u kobiet i nowotworow jelita grubego, J. Didkowska et al, Onkologia w Praktyce Klinicznej 2012; 8; 4; 86-98
- Nowotwory piersi w Polsce I europie- populacyjny punkt widzenia, J. Didkowska, U. Wojciechowska, NOWOTWORY Journal of Oncology 2013, volume 63, number 2,
- Realizacja Swiadczen onkologicznych 2009-2011, NFZ
- Bray F, Parkin M Evaluation of data quality in the cancer registry: Principles and methods. Part I: Comparability, validity and timeliness. EJC 45 (2009) 747-755.
- Cancer incidence and mortality NCR 2010 published 2013
- Standards for Cancer Registries Volume III, Standards for Completeness, Quality, Analysis, Management, Security and Confidentiality of Data, Edited by Jim Hofferkamp, CTR, August 2008
- ‘Cancer Incidence in Five Continents’ (Parkin et al, 1997).
- Health and healthcare 2010, GUS
- Health and health care 2011, GUS
- Asseco case study
- A POLICY FRAMEWORK FOR COMMISSIONING CANCER SERVICES, A REPORT BY THE EXPERT ADVISORY GROUP ON CANCER TO THE CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICERS OF ENGLAND AND WALES, GUIDANCE FOR PURCHASERS AND PROVIDERS OF CANCER SERVICES, APRIL 1995, Dr Kenneth Calman, Chief Medical Officer England
- The Health Service (Control of Patient Information) Regulations 2002
- Review of Cancer Registration in England, Final report presented to the Department of Health by C R Gillis, 28 April 2000
- REPORT BY THE COMPTROLLER AND AUDITOR GENERAL, HC 568SESSION 2010–2011, 18 NOVEMBER 2010, Department of Health, Delivering the Cancer Reform Strategy
- NCIN website
- A National Cancer Data Strategy for Australia© Commonwealth of Australia 2008
- AIHW website
- NSW pattern of care study
Publication order reference