Impact of Rectal Artesunate on Haematological Parameters of Children of Ogun State, South-Western Nigeria
Languages of publication
Impact of Rectal Artesunate on haematological parameters was assessed in 905 children below the age of 5 years. Grid systematic method was employed in selecting sixteen study centres from 8 Local Government Areas of Ogun State. Ethical approvals were obtained in addition to interactive sessions with parents of the children and PHCs medical practitioners. Drug was administered at a dose of 5 to 10mg/kg of the body weight per rectum at 0 hour, 24 hours and 48 hours. Data obtained were analyzed using SPSS version 20 to assess association with p-value of < 0.05. Impact of Rectal Artesunate was monitored by analysing blood samples taken at 0 hour, 24 hours and 48 hours for Packed Cells Volume (PCV) and Haemoglobin concentration (Hb). There was a significant (p < 0.05) increase in baseline PCV (L/L) and Hb (g/L) during 48 hours across the LGAs. Parasitaemia (MPC/µl) in children has a significant (p < 0.05) association with anaemia (PCV and Hb) and was positively correlated (r = +0.348 and r =+ 0.201). A significant (p < 0.05) difference observed between MCV (fl), MCH (pg) and MCHC (g/L) at 0 hour and MCV (fl), MCH (pg) and MCHC (g/L) at 48 hours. More awareness on the use of Rectal Artesunate in reducing anaemia due to malaria in children should be created since it is highly effective antimalarial suppository.
-  Abdulazeez, A. A. and Muhibi, M. A. 2014. Calculated Haematocrit Gave a Better Prediction of Anaemia than Observed Haematocrit in Patients with Haemorrhage and under Aged Children in Central Nigeria. British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research, 4(23): 4044-4049
-  Ajayi, I.O., Afonne, C., Dada-Adegbola, H. and. Falade, C.O. 2015. Prevalence of Asymptomatic Malaria and Intestinal Helminthiasis Co-infection among Children Living in Selected Rural Communities in Ibadan Nigeria. American Journal of Epidemiology and Infectious Disease, 3(1): 15-20
-  Anumudu, C.I., Afolami, M., Igwe, C., Nwagwu, M. and Keshinro. O. 2008. Nutritional anaemia and malaria in preschool and school age children. Annals of African Medicine, 7(1): 11-17
-  Assefa, S., Mossie, A. and Hamza, L. 2012. Prevalence and Severity of Anemia among School Children in Jimma Town, Southwest Ethiopia. BMC Hematology, 14: 3
-  Awad, M.I., Alkadru, A.M.Y., Behrens, R.H., Baraka, O.Z. and Eltayeb, I.B. 2003. Descriptive study on the efficacy and safety of artesunate suppository in combination with other anti-malarias in the treatment of severe malaria in Sudan. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 63: 153-158
-  Balarajan, Y., Ramakrishnan, U., Ozaltin, E., Shankar, A.H. and Subramanian, S.V. 2011. Anaemia in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet, 378: 2123-2135
-  Carter, J.Y. and Lema, O.E. 1993. Practical laboratory manual for health centers in eastern African. African Medical and Research Foundation, Nairobi, Kenya. 87-143.
-  Chandramohan, D., Owusu-Agyei, S., Carneiro, I., Awine, T., Amponsa- Achiano, K., Mensah, N., Jaffar, S., Baiden, R., Hodgson, A., Binka, F., Greenwood, B. 2005. Cluster randomised trial of intermittent preventive treatment for malaria in infants in area of high, seasonal transmission in Ghana. BMJ, 331 (7519): 727-733
-  Cheesbrough, M. 2009. Parasitological Tests. Part 1: District Laboratory Practice in Tropical Countries, 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 178-309.
-  Dondorp, A.M., KAger, P.A., Vreeken, J. and White, N.J. 2000. Abnormal Blood Flow and Red Blood Cell Deformability in Severe Malaria. Parasitology Today, 16: 228-232.
-  Erhabor, O., Adias, T.C. and Hart, M.L. 2010. Effects of falciparum malaria on the indices of anaemia among pregnant women in the Niger Delta of Nigeria. Journal of Clinical Medicine and Research, 2(3): 035-041.
-  Erhabor, O., Mohammad, H.J., Ahmed, H.M. andEzimah, A.C.U. 2014. Effect of Plasmodium Parasitaemia on some Haematological Parameters in Children Living in Sokoto, North Western, Nigeria. International Journal of Clinical Medicine Research, 1(2): 57-64
-  Flegg, J.A., Guérin, P.J., Nosten, F., Ashley, E.A., Phyo, A.P., Dondorp, A.M., Fairhurst, R.M., Socheat, D., Borrmann, S., Björkman, A., Mårtensson, A., Mayxay, M., Newton, P.N., Bethell, D., Se, Y., Noedl,H., Diakite, M., Djimde, A.A., Hien, T.T. White, N. J. and Stepniewska, K. 2013. Optimal sampling designs for estimation of Plasmodium falciparum clearance rates in patients treated with artemisinin derivatives. Malaria Journal, 12: 411
-  Gansane, A., Ouedraogo, I.N., Henry, N.B., Soulama, I., Ouedraogo, E., Yaro, J., Diarra, A., Benjamin, S., Konate, A.T., Tiono, A. and Sirima, S.B. 2013. Variation in haematological parameters in children less than five years of age with asymptomatic Plasmodium infection: implication for malaria field studies. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, 108(5): 644-650
-  Hendriksen, I.C., Mtove, G., Kent, A., Gesase, S., Reyburn, H. and Lemnge, M.M. 2013. Population pharmacokinetics of intra-muscular artesunate in African children with severemalaria: implications for a practical dosing regimen. Clin. Pharmacol Ther. 93(5): 443-50.
-  Ifeanyichukwu, M.O. and Esan, A.J. 2014. Evaluation of haemoglobin concentration, packed cell volume and red cell indices in pre- and post-anti-malaria drug treatment in plasmodium falciparum malaria infected and control individuals. Global Advanced Research Journal of Microbiology, 3(2): 012-017
-  Imoru, M., Shehu, U. A., Ihesiulor, U.G., Kwaru, A.H. 2013. Haematological changes in malaria-infected children in North-West Nigeria. Turk J Med Sci., 43: 838-842
-  International pharmacopoeia, 2005. 3rd ed., Vol. 5. Geneva, World Health Organization.
-  Jaleel, R., Khan, A. 2008. Severe anaemia and adverse pregnancy outcome. J Surg Pakistan, 13(4): 143-150
-  Kimbi, H.K., Irene, U.N., Sumbele, M.N., Judith, K., Anchang-Kimbi, E.L., Yannick, N., Lucy, M.N., Henry, N. and Leopold G.L. 2013. Malaria and haematologic parameters of pupils at different altitudes along the slope of Mount Cameroon: a cross-sectional study. Malaria Journal, 12: 193
-  Knoblauch, A.M, Mirko, S., Winkler, C.A., Mark, J.D., Milka, O., Raoul, M.Y., Pokou, A.Y. and Jürg, U. 2014. The epidemiology of malaria and anaemia in the Bonikro mining area, central Côte d’Ivoire. Malaria Journal, 13: 194
-  Kothari, C.R. 2005, Research Methodology: Methods and Techniques, Second Edition, New Age International Publishers, Washington DC.
-  Malaria Indicator Survey MIS. 2013. Guidelines for Sampling for the Malaria Indicator Survey MEASURE DHS Calverton, Maryland February 2013
-  McLean, E., Cogswell, M., Egli, I., Wojdyla, D. and de Benoist. B. 2005. Worldwide prevalence of anaemia, WHO Vitamin and Mineral Nutrition Information System, 1993-2005.
-  Nwagu, C. and Adegoke, O. A. 2014. Malaria Parasitaemia and Some Haematological Parameters of In-Mate in Orphanage Home in Owerri Metropolis International Journal of Epidemiology & Infection, 16-19
-  Osonuga, O.A., Osonuga, I.O., et al. 2006. Packed Cell Volume Changes in the Treatment of Severe Malarial Pa-tients with Artemether and Quinine (A preliminary study). J. of Medical Sci., 6: 853-857.
-  Sam-Wobo, S.O. and Asiwaju R.T. 2014. Status of falciparum Malaria in Some Granite Mining Communities of Odeda Local Government Area, Ogun State, Nigeria. Research Journal in Engineering and Applied Sciences, 3(1): 34-37.
-  Takem, Ebako, N., Achidi, E.M. and Ndumbe, P.M. 2010. An Update of Malaria Infection and Anaemia in Adults in Buea, Cameroon, BMC Research Notes, 3: 121.
-  ter Kuile, F.O., Terlouw, D.J., Phillips-Howard, P.A., Hawley, W.A., Friedman, J.F., Kolczak, M.S., Kariuki, S.K., Shi, Y.P., Kwena, A.M., Vulule. J.M. and Nahlen, B.L. 2003. Impact of permethrin-treated bed nets on malaria and allcause morbidity in young children in an area of intense perennial malaria transmission in western Kenya: cross-sectional survey. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 68(4): 100-107
-  World Health Organization. 2010. Basic Malaria Microscopy. Part 1. Learner’s Guide. 2nd ed. Geneva: WHO; 2010.
-  World Health Organization. 2012. WHO handbook for guideline development. (http://www.who.int/about/licensing/copyright_form/en/index.html)
Publication order reference