Impact of soil amendments on the early growth of Streculia setigera Del. in the nursery
Languages of publication
There exists an inadequate research on the propagation and nutrient needs of most tropical tree species. Hence, this work involves the developmental impact of soil amendments on the early growth of Streculia setigera Del. in the nursery. Different soil amendments; poultry waste (F1), goat manure (F2), cow manure (F3) and the control, normal soil (F4) were applied to several viable seeds of Streculia setigera in the nursery. The seeds were subjected to the same routine nursery practices. The experiment was laid in a Completely Randomized Design (CRD) and lasted for ninety (90) days. Descriptive statistics and ANOVA were used in the data analysis. The findings revealed that the entire growth response of Streculia setigera seedlings were only sparely affected by the soil amendments (P<0.05). F3 was found to be the most preferred soil amendment for this species, followed by F2 and F4 consecutively. The result obtained from F1 was very poor and thus it is not ideal for this species.
-  Adeniji, O.A., Zaccheaus, O.S., Ojo, B.S., and Adedeji, A.S. Charcoal Production and Producers' Tree Species Preference in Borgu Local Government of Niger State, Nigeria. Journal of Energy Technologies and Policy 5 (2015) 1-8
-  Atakpama, W., Batawila, K., Gnamkoulamba, A., and Akpagagana K. Quantitative approach of Sterculia setigera Delile (Malvaceae) ethnobotanical uses among rural communities in Togo (West Africa). Ethnobotany Research and Applications 14 (2015) 63-80
-  Bakhoum, C., Diatta, S., Bakhoum, A., Ndour, B., and Akpo, L.E. Farmers' perceptions on woodlands in the groundnut basin of Kaffrine region in Senegal. Journal of Applied Biosciences 55 (2012) 4006-4019
-  Craven, D., Braden, D., Ashton, M.S., Beryln, G.P., Wishnie, M., and Dent, D. Between and within site comparison of structural and physiological characteristics and foliar nutrient content of 14 species at a wet fertile site and a dry infertile site in the Panama. Forest Ecology and Management 232 (2007) 335-346
-  Dania, S.O., Akpansubi, P., and Eghagara, O.O. Comparative Effects of Different Fertilizer Sources on the Growth and Nutrient Content of Moringa (Moringa oleifera) Seedling in a Greenhouse Trial. Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Advances in Agriculture 726313 (2014) 1-6
-  Davis, A.S. and Jacobs, D.F. Quantifying root system quality of nursery seedlings and relationship to outplanting performance. New Forests 30 (2005) 295-311
-  Focho, D.A., Bechem, E., Egbe, A., Fongod, A.G., Fonge, B.A., and Ndah, R.N. Effects of organic and inorganic fertilizers on early growth characteristics of Khaya ivorensis Chev (African mahogany) in nursery. African Journal of Plant Science 5 (2011) 722-29
-  Gbadamosi, A.E. Fertilizer response in seedlings of medicinal Enantia chlorantha Oliv. Tropical and Subtropical Agroecosystem 6 (2006) 11-115
-  Hoque, A.T.M.R., Hossian, M.K., Mohiuddin, M., and Hoque, M.M. Effect of inorganic fertilizers on initial growth performance of Michelia champaca Linn. Seedling in Nursery. Journal of Biological Sciences 4 (2004) 489-97
-  Hussain, T.M., Chandrasekhar, T., and Gopal, G.R. Micropropagation of Sterculia urens Roxb., an endangered tree species from intact seedlings. African Journal of Biotechnology 7 (2) (2008) 095-10
-  Imoro., A.W.M. Sackey, I., and Abubakari, A.H. Preliminary Study on the Effects of Two Different Sources of Organic Manure on the Growth Performance of Moringa oleifera Seedlings. Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Healthcare 2 (10) (2012)147-158
-  Johnson, A., Sy, M., and Gaye, M. Etude de cas sur les produits naturels: le lallo mbepp au Sénégal. USAID/EGAT, IRG; French (2005).
-  Jose, L.M. Nitrogen and Phosphorus resorption in tree of Neotropical rain forest. Journal of Tropical Ecology 19 (2003) 465-68
-  Kraiser, T., Gras, D.E., Gutiérrez, A.G., González, B., and Gutiérrez, R.A. A holistic view of nitrogen acquisition in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 62(4) (2011) 1455-66
-  Lawrence, D. The response of tropical tree seedlings to nutrient supply: Meta-analysis for understanding a changing tropical landscape. Journal of Tropical Ecology 16 (1998) 239-42
-  Niang, D., Gassama, Y.K., Ndiaye, A., Sagna, M., Samba, S.A.N., and Toure, M.A. In vitro micrografting of Sterculia setigera Del. African Journal of Biotechnology 9 (2010) 8613-8618
-  Rafiqul, H.M., Hossian, M.K., Mpoinddon, M., and Hoque, M.M. Effect of inorganic fertilizers on the initial growth performance of Anthocephalus chiinesis (Lam) Rich, Ex walp. Seedlings in nursery. Journal of Applied Sciences 4 (2004) 477-485
-  Stoffella, P.Y., Roe, M., Ozeres, H., and Greatz, D.A. Utilization of Organic Waste Compost in Vegetable Production System in Asia, edited by R. A. Moris, Asian Vegetable Research and Development Centre, Shanhua, Taiwan (1997).
Publication order reference