Effect of nitric oxide on vase-life of giant chincherinchee (Ornithogalum saundersiae Baker)
Languages of publication
This research investigated the effect of different concentrations of sodium nitroprusside (SNP, a donor of nitric oxide) on the longevity of cut giant chincherinchee (Ornithogalum saundersiae) inflorescences. Postharvest quality of inflorescences was positively affected by SNP treatment. Application of SNP enhanced the vase-life, final fresh weight and diameter of inflorescences. The best quality inflorescences were obtained when the stems held in 100 µmol SNP. These are the first published results that indicate that nitric oxide positively improved the longevity and quality of cut O. saundersiae inflorescences.
-  J. J. Van der Lugt, T. S. Kellerman, N. Fourie, J. A. W. Coetzer, Diarrhoea, blindness and cerebral spongy changes in cattle caused by Ornithogalum saundersiae and O. prasinum. The Clinicopathology and Pathology of Selective Toxicoses and Storage Diseases of the Nervous System of Ruminants in Southern Africa. Botanical Research Institute (2002) 98-114.
-  P. Salachna, A. Zawadzińska, C. Podsiadło, Response of Ornithogalum saundersiae Bak. to salinity stress. Acta Sci. Pol. Hortorum Cultus 15(1) (2016) 123-134.
-  P. Salachna, M. Grzeszczuk, M. Soból, Effects of chitooligosaccharide coating combined with selected ionic polymers on the stimulation of Ornithogalum saundersiae growth. Molecules 22(11) (2017) 1903.
-  F. J. Corpas, M. Leterrier, R. Valderrama, M. Airaki, M. Chaki, J. M. Palma, J. B. Barroso, Nitric oxide imbalance provokes a nitrosative response in plants under abiotic stress. Plant Sci. 181(5) (2011) 604-611.
-  S. N. Mortazavi, S. F. Talebi, R. A. Naderi, Y. Sharafi, Regulation of ethylene biosynthesis by nitric oxide and thidiazuron during postharvest of rose. J. Med. Plant Res. 5(20) (2011) 5177-5183.
-  C. L. Zeng, L. Liu, G. Q. Xu, The physiological responses of carnation cut flowers to exogenous nitric oxide. Sci. Hortic. 127(3) (2011) 424-430.
-  N. Chakraborty, K. Acharya, “NO way”! Says the plant to abiotic stress. Plant Gene 11 (2017) 99-105.
-  P. Salachna, A. Zawadzińska, Ł. Wierzbiński, W. Senderek, Enhancing growth in Eucomis autumnalis (Mill.) Chitt. seedlings with exogenous application of nitric oxide. J. Hortic. Res. 24(2) (2016) 13-17.
-  P. Salachna and A. Zawadzińska, Effect of nitric oxide on growth, flowering and bulb yield of Eucomis autumnalis. Acta Hortic. 1201 (2018) 641-647.
-  N. N. Fancy, A. K. Bahlmann, G. J. Loake, Nitric oxide function in plant abiotic stress. Plant Cell Environ. 40(4) (2017) 462-472.
-  D. Badiyan, R. B. H. Wills, M. C. Bowyer, Use of a nitric oxide donor compound to extend the vase life of cut flowers. Hort Science 39(6) (2004) 1371-1372.
-  W. B. Liao, M. L. Zhang, J. H. Yu, Role of nitric oxide in delaying senescence of cut rose flowers and its interaction with ethylene. Sci. Hort. 155 (2013) 30-38.
-  L. M. Vieira, A. M. Pereira, F. L. Finger, Longevity of Epidendrum ibaguense Kunth inflorescences treated with nitric oxide. Ornam. Hortic. 22(3) (2016) 296-300.
-  S. K. Dwivedi, A. Arora, V. P.Singh, R. Sairam, R. C. Bhattacharya, Effect of sodium nitroprusside on differential activity of antioxidants and expression of SAGs in relation to vase life of gladiolus cut flowers. Sci. Hortic. 210 (2016) 158-165.
-  P. Salachna and A. Byczyńska, Effect of nitric oxide and production location on vase life of cut Eucomis ‘Sparkling Burgundy' flowers. World Scientific News 83 (2017) 229-234.
-  S. Shabanian, M. N. Esfahani, R. Karamian, L. S. P. Tran, Physiological and biochemical modifications by postharvest treatment with sodium nitroprusside extend vase life of cut flowers of two gerbera cultivars. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 137 (2018) 1-8.
-  Truter, W., Vardien, W. and Hoffman, E.W. (2018). Investigating the potential of sodium nitroprusside, a nitric oxide donor, to extend the vase life of Protea cut flower products. VII International Conference on Managing Quality in Chains (MQUIC2017) and II International Symposium on Ornamentals in association with XIII International Protea Research Symposium. Acta Horticulturae 1201, 439-446, https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2018.1201.59
-  S. Sharma, Effect of different chemicals on vase life of gladiolus varieties (Gladiolus hybridus Hort.). J. Pharmacogn. Phytochem. 6(6) (2017) 498-501.
-  A. Byczyńska, Improvement of postharvest quality of cut tulip ‘White Parrot ‘by nano silver. World Scientific News 83 (2017) 224-228.
-  A. Byczyńska and P. Salachna, Effects of colloidal silver on vase life of cut chrysanthemum. World Scientific News 69 (2017) 239-243.
-  A. H. Naing, K. Lee, M.Arun, K. B. Lim, C. K. Kim, Characterization of the role of sodium nitroprusside (SNP) involved in long vase life of different carnation cultivars. BMC Plant Biol. 17(1) (2017) 149.
-  A. H. Naing, K. Lee, K. O.Kim, T. N.Ai, C. K. Kim, Involvement of sodium nitroprusside (SNP) in the mechanism that delays stem bending of different gerbera cultivars. Front. Plant Sci. 8 (2017) 2045.
Publication order reference