An updated review on Cissus vitiginea L. (Family: Vitaceae) - An important medicinal climber
Languages of publication
Cissus vitiginea L. is a perennial climber with potent medicinal values and used in Indian traditional systems of medicines to cure wounds, diabetes, cardiovascular illness, cancers, particularly bone diseases and arthritis. This plant is kept under rare category in certain parts of India due to its imprudent harvesting from the wild. Assortment of literature on phytochemical studies of this plant shows the presence of alkaloids, flavonoids, triterpenoids, steroids, glycosides, coumarin, tannins, sugar, proteins etc. The reported secondary metabolites have been reviewed to possess immense biological activities in living systems. In the present review, we have summarized the information concerning the botanical description, phytochemistry, toxicology, pharmacology and the traditional medicinal uses of C. vitiginea. It has been concluded that this plant has not been well explored for its various biological activities and the alternate methods of propagation to increase its natural population in the wild.
-  Fernandes G, Banu J. Medicinal properties of plants from the genus Cissus: A review. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research 6 (2012) 3080-3086.
-  Sudmoon R, Chaveerach A, Tanee T. Analysis of genetics and chemical contents relation compared to commonly used Cissus quadrangularis L. and barcode markers of some Thailand Cissus species. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 29 (2016) 65-75.
-  Siddiqua A, Mittapally S. A review on Cissus quadrangularis. The Pharma Innovation, Journal 6 (2017) 329-334.
-  Shetty BV, Singh V. Vitaceae. In: Singh NP, Vohra JN, Hajra PK, Singh DK (Eds). Flora of India. Vol. V. Botanical Survey of India, Kolkatta, India, (2000) 246-324,
-  Charles M, Ganthi SA, Kumar PS. Pharmacognostical studies on Cissus vitiginea L. (Vitaceae). International Journal of Plant Sciences, 4 (2009) 172-175.
-  Pullaiah T, Ramakrishnainh V, Rani RS, Rao PN. Flora of Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh, India. Regency Publications, New Delhi, India, (2000) 417.
-  Pullaiah T, Muralidharan D, Ramamurthy S. Flora of Eastern Ghats: Hill Range if south east India, Vol. I. Regency Publications, New Delhi, India, (2002) 346.
-  Khanna KK, Kumar A, Dixit RD, Singh NP. Supplement to the flora of Madhya Pradesh. Botanical Survey of India, Kolkatta, (2001) 587.
-  Meena KL. Cissus vitiginea L.: a new addition to the flora of Madhya Pradesh, India. Check List, 12 (2016) 1870.
-  Kavitha K, Kavitha T, Fathima KR. Preparation and evaluation of herbal gel formulation of Cissus vitiginea leaf. Journal of Pharma Research, 7 (2018) 179-181.
-  Gamble JS. Flora of presidency of madras, botanical survey of India, Calcutta, India, (1967).
-  Pratap GP, Sudarsanam G, Prasad GP, Sekhar J. Microscopical observations on Cissus vitiginea L. International Journal of Ayurveda and Pharma Research, 2 (2014) 47-58.
-   Balasubramanian P, Rajasekaran A, Prasad SN. Folk medicine of the Irulas of Coimbatore Forests. Ancient Science of Life, 16 (1997) 222-226.
-  Gnanasundaram I, Balakrishnan K. A study on phytochemical analysis in Cissus vitiginea leaves using HPLC, UV-Vis and FTIR techniques. International Journal of Scientific Research, 7 (2018) 432-444.
-  Kurian P, Gafur AKA, Shirin VSA, Vijayakumar B. Preliminary phytochemical and in vitro anti-inflammatory activity total ethanolic extract of stem and leaf of Cissus vitiginea. Journal of Pharmaceutical Biology, 8 (2018) 17-21.
-  Sofowora A. Medicinal Plants and Traditional Medicine in Africa. John Wiley and Son Ltd. (1993) 150-153.
-  Singaravadivel C, Santhanaraj JK. Gas chromatography and mass spectroscopic determination of phytocompounds in Cissus vitiginea leaf. Der Pharmacia Lettre, 8 (2016) 292-297.
-  Selvan SP, Velavan S. Analysis of bioactive compounds in methanol extract of Cissus vitiginea leaf using GC-MS technique. RASAYAN Journal of Chemiestry, 8 (2015) 443-447.
-  Rosy AB, Rosakutty PJ. GC-MS analysis of methanol wild plant and callus extracts from three Cissus species, Family Vitaceae. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 4 (2012) 3420-3426.
-  Subramanian V, Kamaraj M, Ramachandran B, Jerome Jeyakumar J. Screening of phyto chemical constituents, trace metals and antimicrobial efficiency of Cissus vitiginea. Internaltional Journal of Phytopharmacy, 4 (2014) 96-98.
-  Balasundram N, Sundram K, Samman S. Analytical, nutritional and clinical phenolic compounds in plants and agri-industrial by-products: Antioxidant activity, occurrence, and potential uses. Food Chemistry, 99 (2006) 191-203.
-  Reddy G, Vijayakumar R, Reddy KM. A short review of medicinal plants with their families. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 3 (2014) 1-5.
-  Kumar RB, Suryanarayana B. Antimicrobial screening of some selected tribal medicinal plants from Sriharikota Island, Andhra Pradesh, India. Ethnobotanical Leaflets, 12 (2008) 1269- 1282.
-  Gnanasundaram I, Balakrishnan K. In vitro antioxidant activity of Cissus vitiginea leaves and its silver nanoparticles. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 7 (2018) 997-1006.
-  Selvan SP, Velavan S. Determination of in vitro antioxidant efficacy of Cissusvitiginea leaf extract. International Journal of Institutional Pharmacy and Life Sciences, 6 (2016) 16-27.
-  Parimala S, Selvan TA. Anticancer and antioxidant activity of Cissus pallida and Cissus vitiginea. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 6 (2017) 1521-1526.
-  Selvarani K, Bai VSGK. Toxicity evaluation of ethanolic extract of Cissus vitiginea leaves. International Journal of Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 4 (2014) 12-16.
-  Gnanasundaram I, Balakrishnan K. Synthesis and evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of silver nanoparticles from Cissus vitiginea leaf extract. Journal of Nanoscience and Technology, 3 (2017) 266-269.
-  Gritto JM, Nandagopalan V, Doss A. Ethnobotanical survey of medicinal plants used by traditional healers in Shobanapuram village of Pachamalai Hill, Tamil Nadu. Advances in Applied Science Research, 6 (2015) 157-164.
-  Saheb ST. A study on medicinal climbers of Nallamalais, Andhra Pradesh. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development, 1 (2014) 172-176.
-  Bokhad MN, Rothe SP. An overview of medicinally important lianas from dry deciduous forest of West Vidarbha region (M.S) India. Bioscience Discovery, 6 (2015) 117-120.
Publication order reference