Prolongation of seed viability under storage
Languages of publication
Keeping in mind the problem of seed storing in tropical and subtropical countries where high temperature and high relative humidity (RH) greatly accelerate seed ageing phenomenon causing consequent deterioration and non-viability of seeds, an investigation was carried out on maintenance of storage potentiation of a green gram species by using selected plant extract. Pretreatment of green gram (Phaseolous mungo L.) seeds with aqueous solution of leaf extract of neem (Melia azadarch) 50g in 500 ml distilled water for 2 hours and then dried back to the original dry weight of the seeds before accelerated ageing treatment (99.1% RH and 32±2 ºC) for different durations (0 to 30 days) slowed down the rapid loss of germination and reduced the time (h) required for 50% seed germination (T50) of the seeds. The plant extract also significantly arrested the reduction of protein, insoluble carbohydrate, DNA and RNA levels as well as activity of catalase enzyme of seed kernels during forced ageing period. Ageing-induced stimulation of the activity of amylase enzyme was also alleviated by the seed pretreating agent.
-  Copeland, LO and McDonald, MB. In Principles of Seed Science and Technology (3rd Edn.) Chapman and Hall, New York, 1995.
-  Pati, CK. Seed invigouration, plant potentiation and yield augmentation of two promising pulse crops (Lathurus sativus L. and Vinna mungo (L.) Hepper) by chemical manipulation. Ph.D. thesis, Vidyasagar University, West Bengal, India, 2007.
-  Pati, CK and Bhattacharjee, A. Prolongation of seed vigour of maize species under stressful storage environment using selected chemicals. Indian Journal of Research in Multidisciplinary Studies 2014; 1(1): 16-22
-  Aditya, M, Pati, CK and Bhattacharjee, A. Seed Invigouration and Potentiation of Maize (Zea mays) by Chemical Manipulation. Science and Culture 2014; 80 (5-6): 169-172
-  Pati, CK and Bhattacharjee, A. Retention of seed vigour and enhancement of plantpotential of a safflower species by chemical manipulation. Research Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Management, 2015; 4(6): 274-277.
-  Heydecker, W. Vigour in Viability of Seeds (ed. E.H. Roberts), Chapmann and Hall Ltd., London, 1972; pp. 209-252.
-  Chhetri, DR, Rai, AS and Bhattacharjee, A. Chemical manipulation of seed longevity of four crop species in an unfavourable storage environment. Seed Science and Technology, 1993; 21: 31-44
-  Basu, RN. An appraisal of research on wet and dry physiological seed treatments and their applicability with special reference to tropical and sub-tropical countries. Seed Science and Technology. 1994; 22: 107-126.
-  Pati, CK, Mishra, VK and Bhattacharjee, A. Problem of seed storage of grass pea and black gram cultivars under stressful storage environment. Journal of Science and Technology, 2004; Vol. XVI (A): 11-17.
-  Zakaria M. Sawan. Direct and residual effects of plant nutrition’s and plant growth retardants, on cottonseed. Agricultural Sciences, Vol. 4 No. 12A, December 25, 2013
-  Coolbear, P., Francis, A. and Grierson, D. The effect of low temperature pre-sowing treatment on the germination performance and membrane integrity of artificially aged tomato seeds. Journal of Experimental Botany, 1984; 35: 1609-1617
-  McCready, RM, Guggloz, J, Silvirea, V and Ownes, HS. Determination of starch and amylase in vegetables. Analytical Chemistry.1950; 22: 1156-1158
-  Lowry, OH, Rosebrough, NJ, Farr, AL and Randall, RJ. Protein measurement with the Folin-phenol reagent. Journal of Biological Chemistry.1951; 193: 265-275
-  Cherry, JH. Nucleic acid determination to storage tissue of higher plants. Plant Physiology. 1962; 37: 670-678
-  Markham, R. Nucleic acids, their compounds and related compound. In Modern Methods of Analysis (ed. K. Paech and M.V. Tracey). Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1955, pp. 246-304.
-  Choudhury, M.A. and Chatterjee, S.K. Seasonal changes in the levels of some cellular components in the abscission zone of Coleus leaves of different ages. Annals of Botany, 1970; 34: 275-287
-  Snell, FD and Snell, CT. Colorimetric methods of analysis, Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York, 1971; Vol. 4AAA: 7-145.
-  Biswas, AK and Choudhuri, MA. Differential behaviour of the flag leaf of intact rice plant during ageing. Biochemie. und Physiologie der Pflanzen,1978; 173: 220-228.
-  Khan, AA and Faust, MA. Effect of growth retardants on -amylase production in germinating barley seeds. Physiologia Plantarum. 1967; 20: 673-681.
-  Fick, NG. and Qualset, CO. Genetic control of endosperm amylase activity and gibberellin responses in standard height and short statured wheat. Proceedings of National Academy of Science. USA, 1975; 72: 892-895.
-  Panse, VG and Sukhatme, PT.Statistical methods for agricultural workers. Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, 1967; 2nd Edn.: 150-157.
-  Biswas, AK. and Ghosh, AK. Regulation of senescence in various plants, Emkey publications. Delhi, India, 1999.
-  Leopold, AC. and Kriedemann, P.E. Plant growth and development. McGraw Hill, USA,1975.
-  Leopold, AC. Ageing and senscence in plant development, K.V. Thiman editor, Senescence in Plants, CRC Press, Florida, USA,1980; pp. 1-12.
-  Modarresi, R., Rucker, M. and TeKrony, DM. Accelerated ageing test for comparing wheat seed vigour. Seed Science and Technology, 2002; 30: 683-687
-  Neto, MNB., Cutodio, CC. and Takaki, M.Evaluation of naturally and artificially aged seed of Phaseolus vulgaris L., Seed Science and Technology, 2001; 29: 137-149.
-  Powell, AA. and Matthews, S. Deteriorative changes in pea seeds stored in humid or dry conditions. Journal of Experimental Botany, 1977; 28: 225-234
-  Perl, M., Luria, I. and Gelmond, H.Biochemical changes in sorghum seeds affected by accelerated ageing. Journal of Experimental Botany, 1978; 29: 497-509
-  Pernollet, JC.Protein bodies of seeds. Ultrastructure, biochemistry, biosynthesis and degradation, Phytochemistry, 1978; 17: 1473-1480
-  Kamalakkannan, N and Stanely, MZP. Effect of Aegle marmelos Correa (Bael) fruit extract on tissue antioxidants in streptozotocin diabetic rats. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2003; 41: 1285-1288
-  Ponnachan, PTC, Paulose, CS and Panikkan, KR.Effect of leaf extracts of Aegle marmelose in diabetic rat. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 1993; 31: 345
-  Powell, AA and Matthews, S.Deteriorative changes in pea seeds stored in humid or dry conditions. Journal of Experimental Botany 1977; 28: 225-234
-  Pati, CK and Bhattacharjee, A. Retention of seed storage potential of pea and green gram cultivars using selected chemicals. Indian Agric.2008; 52: (3&4 ): 113-116
-  Pati, CK and Bhattacharjee, A. Seed potentiation of a horse-gram cultivar by herbal manipulation. International Journal of Medicinal Plants Research 2013; 2(1): 152-155
-  Simon, EW. Phospholipids and plant membrane permeability. New Phytologis. 1974; 73: 377-420
-  Abdul-Baki, AA and Anderson, JD. Physiological and biochemical deterioration of seeds. In Seed Biology (ed. T.T. Kozlowski), Academic Press, New York, 1972; 2:283-315.
-  Pati, CK. Seed potentition and enhancement of plant potential of a mungbean species using plant extracts, World Scientific News, 2019; 131: 268-271
Publication order reference