Suitability Assessment of Groundwater for Irrigation Purpose in Veppanthattai Block, Perambalur District, Tamil Nadu
Languages of publication
Groundwater is a major water source for agricultural irrigation in Veppanthattai block. Forty-five groundwater samples were collected at various standard locations from the study area in the year of 2015 at pre-monsoon, post monsoon and monsoon seasons periodically. The concentrations of physicochemical parameters like pH, Electrical Conductivity (EC), total dissolved solid (TDS), Total Hardness (TH), Ca2+, Mg2+, Na+, K+, HCO3ˉ, SO42-, Clˉ, NO3ˉ and PO43- were analyzed. The results of the concentrations were interpreted and compared with different irrigation standards namely EC, Percent Sodium (%Na), Sodium Adsorption Ratio (SAR), Residual Sodium Carbonate (RSC), Permeability Index (PI), Kelly’s Ratio (KR), Ion Exchange as chloro-alkaline indices (CAI-I and CAI-II), Chloride classification and Magnesium ratio.
-  Michael A. M. (1990). Irrigation:theory of practice. Vikash Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, pp. 801
-  Kavidha R. (2012). Groundwater potential evaluation In erode district, tamilnadu, using Gis and remote sensing. Thesis, 86
-  Richards L. A. (1954). Diagnostics and improvement of saline and alkaline soils. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture hand book no. 60. U.S. Salinity Laboratory, Washington, DC
-  Wilcox L.V. (1948). The quality of water for irrigation use. US Department of Agricultural Technical Bulletin 1962, Washington.
-  Ragunath H. M. (1987). Groundwater. Wiley Eastern, New Delhi. pp. 563.
-  Kelley W. P. (1951). Alkali Soils: their formation properties and reclamations. Reinhold, New York.
-  Wilcox L. V. (1955). Classification and use of irrigationwaters, p. 16. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Circular No. 696, Washington, DC
-  Hem J. D. (1985). Study and interpretation of the chemical characteristics of natural water, 3rd Edn, p. 2254. Scientific Publishers, Jodhpur
-  Schoeller. H. (1967). Qualitative evaluation of groundwater resources. In: Methods and techniques of groundwater investigation and development. Water Research Series 33, 44-52
-  Marghade D., Malpe D. B., Zade A. B. (2012). Major ion chemistry of shallow groundwater of a fast growing city of Central India. Environ Monit Assess 184, 2405-2418, doi:10.1007/s10661-011-2126-3
-  Chidambaram S., Anandhan P., Prasanna M. V., Srinivasamoorthy K., Vasanthavigar M. (2012). Major ion chemistry and identification of hydrogeochemical processes controlling groundwater in and around Neyveli Lignite Mines, Tamil Nadu, South India. Arab J Geosci. doi: 10.1007/s12517-012-0589-3
-  Tank D. K., Chandel C. P. S. (2009). A hydrochemical elucidation of the groundwater composition under domestic and irrigated land in Jaipur city. Environ Monit Assess. doi:10.1007/s10661-009-0985-7
-  Stuyfzand P. J. (1989). Nonpoint source of trace element in potable groundwater in Netherland. In: Proceedings of the 18th TWSA Water Working, Testing and Research Institute. KIWA, Nieuwegein
-  Beata Draszawka-Bołzan. Heavy Metals in Soils. World News of Natural Sciences 2 (2015) 20-37
-  Magelsir Hassan Mohamed Ihmed. Heavy metal toxicity – metabolism, absorption, distribution, excretion and mechanism of toxicity for each of the metals. World News of Natural Sciences 4 (2016) 20-32
-  K. Anbarasu, G. Anbuselvan. Physico-chemical parameter analysis of water in Musiri Taluk, Tamil Nadu, India. World News of Natural Sciences 6 (2017) 36-43
-  Sanjukta Battacharyya, Amartya Tenuv. Soil Properties Affecting Adsorption. World News of Natural Sciences 9 (2017) 19-34
-  Tomas U. Ganiron Jr. Performance of Community Water Supply Management towards Designing Water Safety Plan. World News of Natural Sciences 10 (2017) 10-25
-  Verla Andrew Wirnkor, Verla Evelyn Ngozi. Risk associated with heavy metals in children playground soils of Owerri metropolis, Imo State, Nigeria. World News of Natural Sciences 10 (2017) 49-69
-  A. Mohamed Ibraheem, S. M. Mazhar Nazeeb Khan. Assessment of Heavy Metal Concentration of Groundwater in Veppanthattai Block, Perambalur District, Tamil Nadu. World News of Natural Sciences 12 (2017) 21-26
Publication order reference