Evolutionary Analysis of GSM, UMTS and LTE Mobile Network Architectures
Languages of publication
The Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) which is a standard for 2G (second generation) cellular networks has created an avenue for the development of 3G (third generation) and 4G (fourth Generation) cellular network standards such as Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) and long term evolution (LTE). With the deployment of new technologies still on the way, the era beyond 3G and 4G requires that cellular and radio technologies need to work together forming highly heterogeneous networks, therefore this paper analyses already existing cellular network technologies such as LTE, GSM and UMTS in order to give a general understanding of their architectures, functional and evolutional dependencies and also to provide an evolutionary trend and a clear overview of the support provided for other telecommunications infrastructure.
-  S. Assawaboonmee, ‘Roamer Direct Dialing (RDD)’, 2004 IEEE Region 10 Conference TENCON 2004, 3 (2004) 41-43.
-  V. Britvic, ‘Steps in UMTS Network Design’, Proceedings of the 12th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference, 2004. MELECON 2004, 2 (2004) 461-464.
-  P. Chitrapu, B. Aghili, ‘Evoluton of GSM into the Next Generation Wireless World’, in IEEE Long Island Applications and Technology Conference, 2007. LISAT 2007, 2007, 1-10.
-  D. Erik, P. Stefan, S. Johan, 4G_LTE_LTE-Advanced (Oxford: Elsevier, 2011)
-  L. Fuentelsaz, J.P. Maícas, Y. Polo, ‘The Evolution of Mobile Communications in Europe: The Transition from the Second to the Third Generation’, Telecommunications Policy, 32 (2008) 436-449.
-  S. Gold, ‘Cracking GSM’, Network Security, 2011, 12-15.
-  G. Gu, G. Peng, ‘The Survey of GSM Wireless Communication System’, 2010 International Conference on Computer and Information Application (ICCIA), 2010, 121-124.
-  M. Mustaqim, K. Khan, M. Usman, ‘LTE-Advanced: Requirements and Technical Challenges for 4G Cellular Network’, Journal of Emerging Trends in Computing and Information Sciences, 3 (2012) 665-671.
-  M. Neruda, R. Bestak, ‘Evolution of 3GPP Core Network’, in 15th International Conference on Systems, Signals and Image Processing, 2008. IWSSIP 2008, 2008, 25–28.
-  Y. Ouyang, M. Fallah, ‘A Study on Evolving the Architecture of Circuit Switched Domain in UMTS Core Networks’, in Wireless Telecommunications Symposium (WTS), 2010, 1-11.
-  I. Poole, Cellular Communications Explained: From Basics to 3G (Oxford: Elsevier, 2006)
-  A. Qureshi, M. Usman, ‘An Optimal Mutual Authentication Scheme in GSM Networks’, Information and Communication Technologies (ICICT), 2011, 1-5
-  M. Rinne, O. Tirkkonen, ‘LTE, the Radio Technology Path towards 4G’, Computer Communications, 33 (2010) 1894-1906.
-  Sauter, M, From GSM to LTE (West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2010).
-  H. Setiawan, H. Ochi, ‘Study Feasibility of Common Wireless Communication Services Recognition for GSM, UMTS and LTE’, 2009 International Conference on Advanced Technologies for Communications, 2009, 253-256.
Publication order reference