ADSORPTION OF CADMIUM IONS ON CHITOSAN MEMBRANES: KINETICS AND EQUILIBRIUM STUDIES
Languages of publication
The presence of toxic heavy metals in industrial wastewater is a serious pollution problem. The ability of chitosan membranes as an adsorbent for cadmium ions in aqueous solution was studied. Experiments were carried out as function of contact time and concentration of cadmium ions. This study has shown that chitosan is capable of removing cadmium from aqueous solution. The removal efficiency depends on reaction time and concentration of cadmium. The Langmuir and Freundlich adsorption models were applied to describe the isotherms and isotherm constants. Equilibrium data agreed very well with the Langmuir model. The maximum adsorption capacity of the Langmuir isotherm equation was 94 mg/g and the Langmuir adsorption equilibrium constant was 1.6 × 10-3 dm3/mg at 25 °C.
73 - 78
- Dzul Erosa M. S., Saucedo Madina T. I., Navarro Mandoza R., Avila Rodriguez M., Guibal E.; (2001) Cadmium sorption on chitosan sorbents: kinetic and equilibrium studies. Hydrometallurgy 61, pp. 157-167.
- Hasan S., Krishnaiah A., Ghosh T. K., Viswanath D. S., Boddu V. M., Smith E. D.; (2006) Adsorption of Divalent Cadmium (Cd(II)) from Aqueous Solutions onto Chitosan-Coated Perlite Beads. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 45, pp. 5066-5077.
- Navarro R., Guzmán J., Saucedo I., Revilla J., Guibal E.; (2003) Recovery of Metal Ions by Chitosan: Sorption Mechanisms and Influence of Metal Speciation. Macromol. Biosci. 3, pp. 52-561.
- Llorens J., Pujolà M., Sabaté J.; (2004) Separation of cadmium from aqueous streams by polymer enhanced ultrafiltration: a two-phase model for complexation binding. Journal of Membrane Science 239, pp. 173-181.
- 5. Nomanbhay S. M, Palanisamy K.; (2005) Removal of heavy metal from industrial wastewater using chitosan coated oil palm shell charcoal. Electronic Journal of Biotechnology 8, pp. 43-53.
Publication order reference