Sprouting Exert Significant Influence on the Antioxidant Activity in Selected Pulses (Black Gram, Cowpea, Desi Chickpea and Yellow Mustard)
Languages of publication
Pulses are a vital source of plant-based proteins and amino acids for people around the globe and should be eaten as part of a healthy diet to address obesity, as well as to prevent and help manage chronic diseases such as diabetes, coronary conditions and cancer; they are also an important source of plant-based protein for animals. Pulses provide protein and fibre, as well as a significant source of vitamins and minerals, such as iron, zinc, folate, and magnesium, and consuming half a cup of beans or peas per day can enhance diet quality by increasing intakes of these nutrients. The present attempt deals with comparison antioxidant activities of various sprouts of selected pulses. The β-carotene, ascorbic acid, total antioxidant activity, total phenol and flavonoid content of black gram (Vigna mungo), cowpea (Vigna unguiculata), desi chickpea (Cicer arietinum), and yellow mustard (Brassica alba) seeds and their sprouts (48 h) were determined. The parameters selected reflect the antioxidant capacity with respect to the dietary antioxidants (β-carotene, ascorbic acid) which were noted to be highest in chickpea sprouts and black gram sprouts respectively. The highest antioxidant activity in terms of % DPPH inhibition (49.837 ± 0.61 % ) and flavonoid content ( 211.06 ± 8.17 mg/100g ) was observed in cowpea sprouts. The highest total phenol content was noted in yellow mustard sprouts (58.45 ±6.67 mg/100g). Inclusion of pulses in the diet is a healthy way to meet dietary recommendations and is associated with reduced risk of several chronic diseases including cancer. Long-term randomized controlled trials are needed to demonstrate the direct effects of pulses on the cancer like diseases.
-  Abner EL, Schmitt FA, Mendiondo MS, Marcum JL, Kryscio RJ (Jul 2011). "Vitamin E and all-cause mortality: a meta-analysis". Current Aging Science 4(2): 158-70. doi:10.2174/1874609811104020158. PMC 4030744.PMID 21235492.
-  Agte V., Tarwadi K., The importance of nutrition in the prevention of ocular disease with special reference to cataract, Ophthalmic Res., 44: 166-172 (2010).
-  Amal B.E., Aurang Z. and Nizakat B., Impact of germination time and type of illumination on carotenoid content, protein solubility and in vitro protein digestibility of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) sprouts, J Food Chem., 109: 797-801 (2008).
-  Babita M. Sakdeo and Vitthalrao B. Khyade ( 2013): EFFECT OF MORACIN ON DMBA – TPA INDUCED SKIN TUMOR FORMATION IN THE MICE. 2013. International Journal of Advanced Biological Research, 3(4): 576-583.
-  Bibi N., Aurang Z., Amal B.K., Mohammad S.K., Effect of germination time and type of illumination on proximate composition of chickpea seed (Cicer arietinum L.) Am. J. Food Technol. ,3: 24-32 (2008).
-  Bjelakovic G, Nikolova D, Gluud C (2013). "Meta-regression analyses, meta-analyses, and trial sequential analyses of the effects of supplementation with beta-carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E singly or in different combinations on all-cause mortality: do we have evidence for lack of harm?". PloS One 8(9): e74558.Bibcode:2013PLoSO...874558B. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0074558. PMC 3765487.PMID 24040282.
-  Braca.A., Sortino.C.. Politi.M.,. Morelli.I.. Mendez.J., Antioxidant activity of Flavonoids from Licania licaniaeflora, J Ethnopharmacol., 79: 379-381 (2002).
-  Carlo.R., Riccardo.A., Sridhar.D., Petriziz.P., Carla.M.. Raffaela.T., Florence.B., Bilal.C.,Giovanni., Metabolic engineering of β-carotene and lycopene content in tomato fruit, Plant J. 24(3): 413-419 (2000).
-  Cortés-Jofré M, Rueda JR, Corsini-Muñoz G, Fonseca-Cortés C, Caraballoso M, Bonfill Cosp X (2012). "Drugs for preventing lung cancer in healthy people". The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 10: CD002141. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD002141.pub2.PMID 23076895.
-  Dabelstein W, Reglitzky A, Schütze A, Reders K (2007). "Automotive Fuels". Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry. doi:10.1002/14356007.a16_719.pub2. ISBN 3-527-30673-0.
-  Inyang, C.U. and U.M. Zakari, (2008). Effect of germination and fermentation of pearl millet on proximate, chemical and sensory properties of instant Fura: A Nigerian cereal food. Pak. J. Nutr., 7: 9-12.
-  Jian Zhao., Nutraceuticals, Nutritional Therapy, Phytonutrients, and Phytotherapy for Improvement of Human Health: A perspective on Plant Biotechnology Application, Recent Patents on Biotechnology, 1: 75-97 (2007).
-  Jiang L., Yang K.H., Tian JH, Guan QL, Yao N, Cao N, Mi DH, Wu J, Ma B, Yang SH (2010). "Efficacy of antioxidant vitamins and selenium supplement in prostate cancer prevention: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials". Nutrition and Cancer 62(6): 719-27. doi:10.1080/01635581.2010.494335. PMID 20661819.
-  Lasekan, O.O., 1996. Effect of germination on α-amylase activities and rheological properties of sorghum (Sorghum bicolour) and acha (Digiteria exilis) grains. J. Food Sci. Technol., 33: 329-331.
-  Lorenz, K., 1980. Cereal sprouts: Composition, nutritive value, food applications. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr., 13: 353-385, PubMed.
-  Lowry, O.H., N.J. Rosebrough, A.L. Farr and R.J. Randall, 1951. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem., 193: 265-275.
-  Mangels A.R., Holden J.M.., Beecher G.R.., Forman.M., Lanza.E., Carotenoid content of fruits and vegetables: an evaluation of analytic data, J Am Diet Assoc., 93: 284-296 (1993).
-  Mao J.J., Dong J.F., Zhu M.Y., Effect of germination conditions on ascorbic acid level and yield of soybean sprout, J. Sci. Food Agr. 85: 943-947 (2005).
-  Mubarak, A.E., 2005. Nutritional composition and antinutritional factors of mung bean seeds (Phaseolus aureus) as affected by some home traditional processes. Food Chem., 89: 489-495.
-  Nidaye, C., S.Y. Xu, P.M. Ngom and A.S. Ndoye, 2008. Malting germination effect on rheological properties and cooking time of millet (P. typhoides) and Sorghum (S. bicolor) flours and rolled flour products (Arraw). Am. J. Food Technol., 3: 373-383.
-  Nishino H., Cancer prevention by carotenoids. Mutation Research, 402,159-163 (1998).
-  Norman, T. J. and Baily (1995). Statistical Methods In Biology. Third edition, Cambridge University Press.
-  Oke J.M., Hamburger M.O., Screening of Some Nigerian Medicinal Plants for antioxidant activity using 2, 2, Diphenyl- Picryl-Hydrazyl Radical, Afr J Biol Res., 5: 77-79 (2002).
-  Onwuka, C.F., C.C. Ikewuchi, C.J. Ikewuchi and O.E. Ayalogu, 2009. Investigation on the effect of germination on the proximate composition of African Yam bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa Hochst ex A Rich) and fluted Pumpkin (Telferia occidentalis). J. Applied Sci. Environ. Manage., 13: 59-61.
-  Osborne D.R., and Boogt.P., The analysis of nutrients in food. Academic Press: New York. (1978).
-  Paul Insel., R. Elaine Turner and Don Ross., Textbook of Nutrition. London, United Kingdom: Jones and Bartlett Publishers International (1952).
-  Rees K, Hartley L, Day C, Flowers N, Clarke A, Stranges S (2013). "Selenium supplementation for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease". The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 1: CD009671. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD009671.pub2.PMID 23440843.
-  Shekelle PG, Morton SC, Jungvig LK, Udani J, Spar M, Tu W, J Suttorp M, Coulter I, Newberry SJ, Hardy M (Apr 2004). "Effect of supplemental vitamin E for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease". Journal of General Internal Medicine 19(4): 380-9. doi:10.1111/j.1525-1497.2004.30090.x.PMC 1492195. PMID 15061748.
-  Singleton V.L., Rossi J.A., Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic- phosphotungstic acid reagents, Am. J. Enol. Vitic., 16: 144-158 (1965).
-  Stanner SA, Hughes J, Kelly CN, Buttriss J (May 2004). "A review of the epidemiological evidence for the 'antioxidant hypothesis'". Public Health Nutrition 7(3): 407-22. doi:10.1079/PHN2003543. PMID 15153272.
-  Tapas A.R., Sakarkar D.M., Kakde R.B., Flavonoids as Nutraceuticals: A review, Trop J Pharm Res., 7(3): 1089-1099 (2008).
-  Vanderstoep, J., (1981). Effect of germination on the nutritive value of legumes. Food Technol., 38: 83-85.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade; Vivekanand V. Khyade and Sunanda V. Khyade ( 2013): Use of Moracin in preventing the cancer. Journal Of Environmental Science, Toxicology And Food Technology 4(5), 96-104.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade and Ujwala D. Lonkar. Effect of Moracin on DMBA – TPA induced cancer in mice, Mus musculus (L). 2013. Annals of Plant Science 2(10), (2013) 412-419.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade ; Vivekanand V. Khyade ; Sunanda V. Khyade and May-Britt Moser (2014). Influence of Moracin on DMBA-TPA induced skin tumerigenesis in the mouse. International Journal of Bioassays 3(11): 3510-3516.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade and Rhidim Jiwan P. Sarwade (2014). Influence of Moracin on DMBA – TPA induced cancer in the skin of mice, Mus musculus (L). Recent Trends in Zoology (Pages: 113-133). Editor: Dr. R. K. Kasar ; Publisher: Dr. L. S. Matkar (Principal, New Arts, Commerce and Science College, Shevgaon Dist. Ahmednagar – 414502 (M.S.) India. ISBN: 978-93-84916-68-8.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade ; Suryakant M. Mundhe and Shakir Ali Syed (2015). Influence of Ethanolic Extractives of Leaves of Mulberry, Morus alba (L) On 7, 12-Dimethylbenz (A) Anthracene (DMBA) Induced Buccal Pouch Carcinoma in Syrian Hamster, Mesocricetus auratus (L). IOSR Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences, 10(1)IV: 69-75
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade and Sadhana D. Deshpande (2015). CHEMOPREVENTIVE EFFICACY OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACTIVES OF LEAVES OF MULBERRY, MORUS ALBA (L) ON 7, 12-DIMETHYLBENZ(A) ANTHRACENE (DMBA)INDUCED BUCCAL POUCH CARCINOMA IN SYRIAN HAMSTER, MESOCRICETUS AURATUS (L). International Journal of Recent Scientific Research, 6(3) 3156-3161, 2015.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade and Aziz Sancer. Treating the 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene (DMBA) induced buccal pouch carcinoma in Syrian hamster, Mesocricetus auratus (L) with ethanolic extractives of leaves of mulberry, Morus alba (L). World Scientific News 30 (2016) 1-13.
-  Yang.F., Basu T.K., Ooraikul.B., Studies on germination conditions and antioxidant contents of legumes, Int J Food Sci Nutr., 52(4): 319-330 (2001).
Publication order reference