The issue of children in promotional message in computer game
Languages of publication
The growing ranks of enterprises decided to make use of various type of in game promotions in their marketing strategy. Vast part of this promotional message is geared toward children and adolescent. There are a two important issue to bring up. Firstly, how children understand the promotional message featured in game environment and whether it is really effective marketing tool. Secondly, what are current ethical and legal problems and concerns about this new means of marketing communications targeting children. The analysis of literature review indicates that there is a real dilemma how to create a successful promotion in compliance with ethics and legal framework.
-  S. An, S. Stern, Mitigating the effects of advergames on children, Journal of Advertising, 2011, 40(1), 43-56.
-  O. B. Büttner, A. Florack, B. G. Serfas, A dual-step and dual-process model of advertising effects: Implications for reducing the negative impact of advertising on children's consumption behavior, Journal of Consumer Policy, 2014, 37(2), 161-182.
-  I. Dudzik-Lewicka, M. Hofman-Kohlmeyer, Effective on-line advertisement of an enterprise - directions of changes [in:] Current problems in management, ed. A. Barcik, H. Howaniec, Z. Malara, University of Bielsko-Biała, Bielsko-Biała 2015, p. 241-254.
-  J. L. Harris, S. E. Speers, M. B. Schwartz, K. D. Brownell, US food company branded advergames on the internet: children's exposure and effects on snack consumption, Journal of Children and Media, 2012, 6(1), 51-68.
-  B. Kelly, S. Vandevijvere, B. Freeman, G. Jenkin, New media but same old tricks: food marketing to children in the digital age, Current obesity reports 2015, 4(1), 37-45.
-  V. Kiran, K. Kishore, Subliminal Messages in Advertising: A Concept not to be Ignored, Asia Pacific Journal of Management & Entrepreneurship Research, 2013, 2(3), 37-45.
-  D. N. Lascu, A. K. Manrai, L. A. Manrai, F. Brookman Amissah, Online marketing of food products to children: The effects of national consumer policies in high-income countries, Young Consumers, 2013, 14(1), 19-40.
-  J. Laskowska-Witek, M. Mitręga, Brand Promotion Throught Computer Games on the Example of Second Life, Studia Ekonomiczne, 2014, 205, 34-48.
-  V. Mallinckrodt, D. Mizerski, The effects of playing an advergame on young children's perceptions, preferences, and requests, Journal of Advertising, 2007, 36(2), 87-100.
-  M. Mitręga, Advergaming jako rozwijająca się forma komunikacji marketingowej, Studia Ekonomiczne, 2013, (140), 133-143.
-  A. Nairn, C. Fine, Who’s messing with my mind? The implications of dual-process models for the ethics of advertising to children, International Journal of Advertising, 2008, 27(3), 447-470.
-  H. J. Paek, E. Taylor Quilliam, S. J. Kim, L. J. Weatherspoon, N. Rifon, M. Lee, Characteristics of food advergames that reach children and the nutrient quality of the foods they advertise, Internet Research, 2014, 24(1), 63-81.
-  S. Peters, G. Leshner, Get in the game: The effects of game-product congruity and product placement proximity on game players’ processing of brands embedded in advergames, Journal of Advertising, 2013, 42(2-3), 113-130.
-  I. Redondo, The effectiveness of casual advergames on adolescents' brand attitudes, European Journal of Marketing, 2012, 46(11/12), 1671-1688.
-  E. A. Van Reijmersdal, J. Jansz, O. Peters, G. Van Noort, The effects of interactive brand placements in online games on children’s cognitive, affective, and conative brand responses, Computers in Human Behavior, 2010, 26(6), 1787-1794.
-  R. Rosado, L. Agante, The Effectiveness of Advergames in Enhancing Children's Brand Recall Image, and Preference/a EficÁCia Dos Jogos PublicitÁRios Para Potenciar a Notoriedade, PreferÊNcia E Imagem Da Marca Nas CrianÇAs, Revista Portuguesa de Marketing, 2011, 14(27), 34-45.
-  E. Rozendaal, N. Slot, E. A. Reijmersdal, M. Buijzen, Children’s Responses to Advertising in Social Gamesp, Journal of Advertising, 2013, 42(2-3), p. 142-154.
-  R. Terlutter, M. L. Capella, The gamification of advertising: analysis and research directions of in-game advertising, advergames, and advertising in social network games, Journal of Advertising, 2013, 42(2-3), 95-112.
-  E. A. Van Reijmersdal, E. Rozendaal, M. Buijzen, Effects of prominence, involvement, and persuasion knowledge on children's cognitive and affective responses to advergames, Journal of Interactive Marketing, 2012, 26(1), 33-42.
-  D. Vashisht, Effects of brand placement strength, prior game playing experience and game involvement on brand recall in advergames, Journal of Indian Business Research, 2015, 7(3), 292-312.
Publication order reference