CHARACTERISATION AND DISSOLUTION PROPERTIES OF KETOPROFEN IN BINARY SOLID DISPERSION WITH CHITOSAN
Languages of publication
BCS class II includes drugs with low solubility and high permeability. Ketoprofen is an example of this class of drugs. The aim of the study was to investigate the effect of chitosan with average molecular weights in various formulations on the dissolution of ketoprofen incorporated into this polymer carrier. The study investigated ketoprofen in solid dispersions using a method of the solvent evaporations at the drug to polymer ratios of 1:9. 3:7, and 5:5. The highest dissolution of fenofibrate, amounting to 98.8%, was observed after 60 minutes from solid dispersions with a drug-polymer weight ratio 1:9 in the presence of chitosan B and was 32-times higher in relation to the amount of added polymer in comparison to the solubility of pure drug. DSC and IR investigations showed that ketoprofen remained in its crystalline state in solid dispersion. There was no change in the chemical structure of the drug after the incorporation of the drug onto the polymer. Chitosan has been proposed as a useful excipient for enhancing the bioavailability of poorly water-soluble compounds.
- 1. Shohin I.E., Kulinich JI, Ramenskaya GV. Abrahamsson B, Kopp S, Langguth P, Polli J E, Shah V P, Groot DW, Barends DM, Dressman JB; (2012) Monographs for immediate-release solid oral dosage forms: Ketoprofen, J. Pharm. Sci., 101, 3593-3603, DOI: 10.1002/jps.23233.
- 2. Nashwan YK, Alaa AA, Moafaq M2, Saad AH; (2011) Solubility and dissolution improvement of ketoprofen by solid dispersion in polymer and surfactant using solvent evaporation method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, 3, 431-435.
- 3. Saffoon N, Uddin R., Huda NH., Sutradhar K.B; (2011) Enhancement of oral bioavailability and solid dispersion: a review; J. Applied Pharm. Sci. 1, 13-20.
- 4. CKS Pillai, Willi P. Chandra P. Sharma; (2009) Chitin and chitosan polymers: Chemistry, solubility and fibre formation. Prog. in Polym. Sci. 34, 641-678. DOI: 10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2009.04.001.
- 5. B1 Tiţa, A Fuliaş, G Bandur, E Marian,D Tiţa;(2011) Compatibility study between ketoprofen and pharmaceutical excipients used in solid dosage forms. J. Pharm. Biomed.A nal. 56, 221-227, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpba.2011.05.017.
- 6. Czechowska-Biskup R., Jarosińska D, Rokita B, Ulański P, Rosiak JM; (2012) Determination of degree of deacetylation of chitosan -comparision of methods. Progress on Chemistry and Application of Chitin and Its Derivatives, 17, 5-20.
- 7. Polish Pharmacopoeia (2011) vol. 9, The Office for Registration of Medicinal Products, Medical Devices and Biocidal Products, Warsaw, Poland.
Publication order reference