Naira devaluation and trade balance in Nigeria
Languages of publication
This paper examines the effects of Naira devaluation on trade balance in Nigeria. Annual time’s series data over the period ranging from 1986 to 2017 was used with Engle-Granger cointegration test used to test the existence of a long run relationship. The results of the estimation show that Naira devaluation had no significant influence on change in trade balance in the long-run in Nigeria in the periods under study. The result also suggests that Naira devaluation exerts no significant impact on trade balance in Nigeria over the study periods. The paper recommend that Nigerian currency should be allowed to depreciate freely through market forces and efficient money market system, official devaluation should be discouraged.
-  Agbola, F. W. (2004). Does Devaluation Improve Trade Balance of Ghana? A Paperpresented at the International Conference on Ghana’s Economy at the Half Century, M-Plaza Hotel, Accra, Ghana, July 18-20.
-  Alawattage, U. P. (2009). Exchange Rate, Competitiveness and Balance of Payment Performance, Central Bank of Sri Lanka, Staff Studies, 34, (1), 63-91
-  Alemu, A. M. & Jin-sang, L. (2014). Examining the Effects of Currency Depreciation on Trade Balance in Selected Asian Economies, International Journal of Global Business, 7 (1), 59-76
-  Alexander, S.S. (1952). The Effect of a Devaluation on a Trade Balance. I.M.F. Staff Papers, 2, (2), 263-278.
-  Alhanom, E. (2016). Determinants of Trade Balance in Jordan, NG - Journal of Social Development, 5, 2. 24-34
-  Andersson, A. & Styf, S. (2010). How Does a Depreciation in the Exchange Rate Affect Trade Over Time? Bachelor’s thesis within Economics, Jonkopin International Business School, Jonkopin University.
-  Anoke, C. I., Odo, S. I. & Ogbonna, B. C. (2016). Effect of Exchange Rate Depreciation on Trade Balance in Nigeria, Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 21, (3).72-81. doi: 10.9790/0837-2103047281
-  Bahmani-Oskooee, M. & Bolhassani, M. (2012). Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Trade between the United States and Canada: Evidence from 152 Industries, The Economic Society of Australia, 31, (2), 286-301. doi: 10.1111/j.1759-3441.2012.00162.x
-  Bahmani-Oskooee, M. & Xu, J. (2012). Is there evidence of the j-curve in commodity trade between the USA and Hong Kong? The Manchester School, 80, (3), 295-320. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9957.2011.02242.x
-  Baye, F. M. (2011). The Role of Bilateral Real Exchange Rates in Demand for Real Money Balances in Cameroon, Modern Economy, 2, 287-300. doi: 10.4236/me.2011.23032
-  Bickerdike, C. F. (1920). The Instability of Foreign Exchange. The Economic Journal, Volume 30, Issue 117, 1 March 1920, Pages 118–122, https://doi.org/10.2307/2223208
-  Buluswar, M. D., Thompson, H. & Upadhyaya, K. P. (1996). Devaluation and Trade Balance in India: Stationary and Cointegration, Applied Economics 28: 429-432
-  Central Bank of Nigeria (2017). Statistical bulletin (Volume 28). Abuja: Central Bank of Nigeria.
-  Chowdhury, M., Khanom, S., Emu, S., Uddin, S. & Farhana, P. (2014). Relationship between the Exchange Rate and Trade Balance in Bangladesh from Year 1973 to 2011: An Econometric Analysis, International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, 11, (11), 1-26
-  Dornbush, R. (1976). Expectations and exchange rate dynamics, Journal of Political Economy, 84, 1161-1176
-  Fleming, J. M. (1962). Domestic Financial Policies Under Fixed and Floating Exchange rates, IMF Staff Papers, 9, 369-379, doi: 10.2307/3866091
-  Iyoboyi, M. & Mufutau, O. (2014). Impact of exchange rate depreciation on the balance of payments: Empirical evidence from Nigeria, Cogent Economics & Finance 2: 1-23, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23322039.2014.923323
-  Kruger, A. O. (1983). Exchange Rate Determination. London, Cambridge University Press.
-  Lerner, A. P. (1944). The Economics of Control – Principles of Welfare Economics. New York: The MacMillian Company.
-  Lotto, M. A. (2011). Does devaluation improve the trade balance of Nigeria? (A test of the Marshall-Lerner condition), Journal of Economics and International Finance, 3, (11), 624-633
-  Magee, S. P. (1973). Currency Contracts, Pass-through, and Devaluation. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 1, 303-325
-  Marshall, A. (1923). Money Credit and Commerce. London: MacMillian & Co. Ltd.
-  Meade, E. E, (1988). Exchange Rate Adjustments and the J-Curve. Federal Reserve Bulletin, October, 633-644.
-  Metzler, L. (1948) The theory of international trade. In Howard, S. E. (1984). Ed. I. A Survey of Contemporary Economics. Philadelphia: Blakiston.
-  Momodu, A. A., & Akani, F. N. (2016). Impact of Currency Devaluation on Economic Growth of Nigeria. International Journal of Arts and Humanities Bahir Dar - Ethiopia 5 (1), 16, 151-163. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/ijah.v5i1.12
-  Mundell, R. A. (1963). Capital mobility and stabilization policy under fixed and flexible exchange rates. Canadian Journal of Economic and Political Science, 29 (4), 475–485. doi:10.2307/139336
-  Odili, O. (2014). Exchange Rate and Balance of Payment: An Autoregressive Distributed Lag (Ardl) Econometric Investigation on Nigeria, IOSR Journal of Economics and Finance, 4, (6), 21-30
-  Ogbonna, B. C. (2010) Trade Balance Effect of Exchange Rate Devaluation in Benin Republic: The Empirical Evidence. International Journal of Social Science, 2, (5), 138-151
-  Ogundipe, A. A., Ojeaga, P. & Ogundipe O. M., (2013). Estimating the Long run Effects of Exchange rate Devaluation on Trade Balance of Nigeria, European Scientific Journal September edition 9, (25). 233-249
-  Okaro, C. S. (2017). Currency Devaluation and Nigerian Economic Growth (2000-2017). NG - Journal of Social Development, 6, (1), 25-37.
-  Oladipupo, M. O. & Onotaniyohuwo, F. O. (2011). Impact of Exchange Rate on Balance of Payment in Nigeria. African Research Review, 5, (4), 21. 73-88
-  Olugbon, B. S., Omotosho, O. & Babalola, B. H. (2017). Devaluation and Trade Balance in Nigeria: A Test of Marshall-Lerner Condition, European Journal of Business and Management, 9, (4), 78-93
-  Onafowora, D. A. (2003). Exchange rate and Trade Balance in East Asia: is There J-curve? Economic Bulletin, 5, 1-3
-  Osundina, K. C. & Osundina, J. A. (2016). Effectiveness of Naira Devaluation on Economic Growth in Nigeria. International Journal of Science and Research 5 (3), 1944-1948
-  Robinson, J. (1947). The foreign exchanges, essays in the theory of employment, 24, 53-68. Oxford, Blackwell.
-  Salasevicius, R. & Vaicius, P. (2003). Exchange Rate Relationship: Test the Marshall-Lerner Condition in the Baltic States. SSE Riga Working Papers, 2003: 13(48) Stockholm School of Economics in Riga.
-  Samuel, U. E., Udo, B. E. & Imolemen, K. I., (2018). The Implication of Naira Devaluation to the Nigeria’s Economic Development. Business and Economics Journal 9: 343. doi:10.4172/2151-6219.1000343
-  Umoru, D. & Oseme, A. (2013). Trade Flows and Exchange Rate Shocks in Nigeria: An Empirical Result, Asian Economic and Financial Review, 3(7): 948-977
-  Wong, C. T. (2011). Bilateral Trade Balances: Evidence from Malaysia, Asian Economic Journal, 25 (2), 227-244. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8381.2011.02055.x
-  Zeeshan, K., Asghar, A. & Shahid, A, (2016). Impact of Devaluation on Balance of Trade: A Case Study of Pakistan Economy. Asian Journal of Economic Modelling, 4(2): 90-94. doi:10.18488/journal.8/2016.4.2/184.108.40.206
-  Zhang, W. B. (2008). International trade theory- Capital, knowledge, economic, structure, money and prices over time. Berlin: Heidelberg, Springer.
Publication order reference