Diversity of Sea Cucumber Based on the Characteristics of Habitat Sikakap Strait Water Area, Mentawai Island District, Indonesia
Languages of publication
This research was conducted to determine the species of sea cucumber and some aspects of ecology and water quality of the substrate, total organic matter, and habitat distribution patterns of sea cucumber in Sikakap strait waters. The method used in this research was survey method, by spreading the transect out as long as 50 meters with a width of 20 meters parallel shoreline. The result was obtained 4 genera which are included in one family. The highest Diversity of Index Value (H’) was found at Station 2 about 1.012, Station 3 about 0,004 and the lowest is found at Station 1 about 0. The highest Equitability of Index Value (E) was found at Station 2 about 0.271, Station 3 about 0.063 and the lowest was found at Station 1 about 0. The pattern of spread of species at Station 1 was included in the pattern of spread of the group about 1.037, Station 3 and 2 were included in the distribution pattern of uniform. Habitats of sea cucumbers in the waters of Sikakap Strait was included in the category of sand (Station 1), rocky sand (Station 2), and muddy sand (Station 3) the total organic matter (TOM) each station about 16.10 %, 14.71%, and 20,48%. The differences in each Station are caused by the differences in habitat and food sources in the waters. Parameter as temperature, salinity, pH and Dissolved Oksigen at Sikakap Strait waters linked to the quality standard of Ministry of Environment Decree No.51/2004 for marine water quality was still quite good for the existence of sea cucumbers.
-  Rizal A and Lantun PD. Using economic values to evaluate management options for fish biodiversity in the Sikakap Strait, Indonesia. Biodiversitas Journal Vol 18 (2) (2017) 586-592
-  Chen, J. Overview of seacucumber farming and sea ranching practices in China. SPC Beche-de-mer Info. Bull. 18 (2003) 18-23
-  Conand, C. (1998). Holothurians (Sea cucumbers, Class Holothuroidea). In: Species Identification Guide for Fishery Purposes, ed. K. Carpenter and V. Neim. pp. 1157–1191. Rome, Italy: FAO.
-  Conand, C. and M. Byrne. A review on recent development in the world sea cucumber fisheries. Marine Fisheries Review 55 (4) (1993) 1-13
-  Purcell, S.W. & Kirby, DS. Restocking the sea cucumber Holothuria scabra: sizing no-take zones through individual-based movement modelling. Fisheries Research, 80 (2006) 53-61
-  Purcell, S.W., Mercier, A., Conand, C., Hamel, J.F., Toral-Granda, M.V., Lovatelli, A. & Uthicke, S. Sea cucumber fisheries: global analysis of stocks, management measures and drivers of overfishing. Fish and Fisheries, 14 (2013) 34-59
-  Gujarati, DN. (2003). Basic Econometrics (Vol. 4th Ed). New York, USA: McGraw-Hill.
-  Cochran, W.G. (1963). Sampling Techniques. New York, NY, USA: J. Wiley & Sons.
-  Rochet, M.J. & Trenkel, V.M. Which community indicators can measure the impact of fishing? A review and proposals. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60 (2003) 86-99
-  Rizal A & Nurruhwati I. New Methodological Approaches for Change in Traditional Sectors: The Case of the West Java Fisheries Socio Economic System. World News of Natural Sciences 22 (2019) 41-51
-  Rizal A, Andriani Y, Kusumartono FXH, A Strategic Environmental Assessment for Southern Coastal of West Java Province, Indonesia. World Scientific News 137 (2019) 188-209
-  Seijo, JC. & Caddy, JF. Uncertainty in bio-economic reference points and indicators of marine fisheries. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61 (2000) 1307–1324
-  Sen, S. & Nielsen, J.R. Fisheries co-management: a comparative analysis. Marine Policy, 20 (1996) 405–418
-  Shepherd, S.A., Martinez, P., Toral-Granda, M.V. & Edgar, G.J. The Galapagos sea cucumber fishery: management improves as stocks decline. Environmental Conservation, 31 (2004) 102-110
-  Shiell, G.R. & Knott B. Diurnal observations of sheltering behaviour in the coral reef sea cucumber Holothuria whitmaei. Fisheries Research, 91 (2008) 112-117
-  Stefansson, G. & Rosenberg, A.A. Combining control measures for more effective management of fisheries under uncertainty: quotas, effort limitation and protected areas. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, 360 (2005) 133-146
-  Trenkel, V.M. & Rochet, M.J. Performance of indicators derived from abundance estimates for detecting the impact of fishing on a fish community. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 60 (2003) 67-85
-  Tuya, F., Hernandez, J.C. & Clemente, S. Is there a link between the type of habitat and the patterns of abundance of holothurians in shallow rocky reefs? Hydrobiologia, 571 (2006) 191-199
-  Uthicke, S., Welch, D. & Benzie, J.A.H. Slow growth and lack of recovery in overfished holothurians on the Great Barrier Reef: evidence from DNA fingerprints and repeated large-scale surveys. Conservation Biology, 18 (2004) 1395-1404
-  Uthicke, S., Schaffelke, B. & Byrne, M. A boom–bust phylum? Ecological and evolutionary consequences of density variations in echinoderms. Ecological Monographs, 79 (2009) 3-24
-  Walters, C. & Pearse, P.H. Stock information requirements for quota management systems in commercial fisheries. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, 6 (1996) 21-42
-  Willmann, R. (1999). Group and community-based fishing rigths. In: Use of Property Rights in Fisheries Management, ed. R. Shotton, pp 51-57. Rome, Italy: FAO.
-  Wilson, D.C., Ahmed, M., Siarb, S.V. & Kanagaratnamb, U. Cross-scale linkages and adaptive management: fisheries co-management in Asia. Marine Policy 30 (2006) 523-533
-  Yamamoto, T. Development of a community-based fishery management system in Japan. Marine Resource Economics 10 (1995) 21-34
-  Anderson, S.C., Flemming, J.M., Watson, R. & Lotze, H.K. Serial exploitation of global sea cucumber fisheries. Fish and Fisheries, 12 (2011) 317-339
-  Andréfouët S. Coral reef habitat mapping using remote sensing: a user vs producer perspective. Implications for research, management and capacity building. Journal of Spatial Science, 53 (2008) 113-129
-  Andréfouët, S., Friedman, K., Gilbert, A. & Remoissenet, G. A comparison of two surveys of invertebrates at Pacific Ocean islands: the giant clam at Raivavae Island, Australes Archipelago, French Polynesia. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 66 (2009) 1825-1836
-  Andréfouët, S., Gilbert, A., Yan, L., Remoissenet, G., Payri, C. & Chancerelle, Y. The remarkable population size of the endangered clam Tridacna maxima assessed in Fangatau atoll (Eastern Tuamotu, French Polynesia) using in situ and remote sensing data. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 62 (2005) 1037-1048
-  Aumeeruddy, R., Skewes, T., Dorizo, J., Carocci, F., Coeur de Lion, F., Harris, A., Henriette, C. & Cedras, M. (2005) Resource Assessment and Management of the Seychelles Sea Cucumber Fishery. Seychelles: Seychelles Fishing Authority.
-  Odum, HT. Bird populations of the Highlands Plateau in relation to plant succession and avian invasion. Ecology, 31 (1950) 587-605
-  Rizal A. Reformulation of Regional Development Strategy to Strengthen Marine Sector in West Java, Indonesia. World Scientific News, 107 (2018) 207-215
-  Andrew, N.L., Agatsuma, Y., Ballesteros, E., Bazhin, A.G., Creaser, E.P., Barnes, D.K.A., Botsford, L.W., Bradbury, A., Campbell, A., Dixon, J.D., Einarsson, S., Gerring, P.K., Hebert, K., Hunter, M., Hur, S.B., Johnson, C.R., Juinio-Menez, M.A, Kalvass, P., Miller, R.J., Moreno, C.A., Palleiro, J.S., Rivas, D., Robinson, S.M.L., Schroeter, S.C., Steneck, R.S., Vadas, R.L., Woobdy, D.A. & Xiaoqi, Z. Status and management of world sea urchin fisheries. Oceanography and Marine Biology: An Annual Review 40 (2002) 343-425
-  Aswani, S. Customary sea tenure in Oceania as a case of rightbased fishery management: does it work? Review in Fish Biology and Fisheries, 15 (2005) 285-307
-  Bellchambers, L.M., Meeuwig, J.J., Evans, S.N. & Legendre, P. Modeling habitat associations of 14 species of holothurians from an unfished coral atoll: implications for fisheries management. Aquatic Biology, 14 (2011) 57-66
-  Caddy, J.F. (1989). A perspective on the population dynamics and assessment of scallop fisheries, with special reference to the sea scallop, Placopecten magellanicus Gmelin. In: Marine Invertebrate Fisheries: Their Assessment and Management, ed. J.F. Caddy, pp. 559–589. New York, NY, USA: J. Wiley and Sons.
-  Caddy JF. Current usage of fisheries indicators and reference points, and their potential application to management of fisheries for marine invertebrates. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 61 (2004) 1307-1324
-  Caddy, J.F. & Mahon, R. (1995) Reference Points for Fisheries Management. Fisheries Technical Paper No 237, Rome, Italy: FAO.
-  Cash, D.W. & Moser, S.C. Linking global and local scales: designing dynamic assessment and management processes. Global Environmental Change, 10 (2000) 109-120
-  Castilla, JC & Defeo O. Latin American benthic shellfisheries: emphasis on co-management and experimental practices. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, 11 (2001) 1-30
-  Charles AT. Living with uncertainties in fisheries: analytical methods, management priorities and the Canadian groundfishery experience. Fisheries Research, 37 (1998) 37-50
-  Orstom & Conand C. Reproductive biology of the holothurians from the major communities of the New Caledonian lagoon. Marine Biology 116 (1993) 439-450
-  Danielsen F., Burgess N.D. Balmford A. Monitoring matters: examining the potential of locally based approaches. Biodiversity and Conservation, 14 (2005) 2507-2542
-  Rizal A. Science and policy in the coastal zone management. World News of Natural Sciences 21 (2018) 1-8
-  Junianto, Iskandar, Achmad Rizal, Windi Damayanti. The Influence of Concentration of Acetic Acid and Pepsin Enzyme in Nilem Fish Skin Collagen Extractionto the Amount of Rendement Produced. World News of Natural Sciences 21 (2018) 164-170
-  Noir P. Purba, Yudi N. Ihsan, Ibnu Faizal, Dannisa I. W. Handyman, Kattia S. Widiastuti, Putri G. Mulyani, Mikhael F. Tefa, M. Hilmi. Distribution of Macro Debris in Savu Sea Marine National Park (Kupang, Rote, and Ndana Beaches), East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. World News of Natural Sciences 21 (2018) 64-76
Publication order reference