Assessment of Air Quality and Meteorological Variables in Lower Stubbs Creek, Qua Iboe River Estuary, Nigeria
Languages of publication
The assessment of air quality and meteorological variables in Lower Stubbs Creek, Qua Iboe River Estuary, Nigeria was carried out using portable hand held gas monitors for atmospheric gases and hygrometer, thermometer, anemometer and digital compass for relative humidity, temperature, wind speed and wind direction. Parameters measured were SO2, NO2, H2S, CO, NH3, Cl2, HCN, PM2.5, PM10, relative humidity, temperature, wind speed and wind direction. The results for the atmospheric gases followed this decreasing magnitude; PM10 (110.35 µ/m3) > PM2.5 (55.66 µ/m3) > CO (19.00 ppm) > NH3 (5.86 ppm) > HCN (1.41 ppm) > H2S (0.77 ppm) > Cl2 (0.47 ppm) > NO2 (0.28 ppm) > SO2 (0.26 ppm). For the meteorological variables, the mean values for temperature, relative humidity and wind speed were 25.86 ºC, 67.71 % and 1.17 m/s. The predominant wind direction was the North Easterly winds. The result for the air quality using 5 criteria pollutants showed that NO2, SO2 had Air Quality Index (AQI) values of 0 each, while CO, PM2.5 and PM10 had AQI values of 224, 151 and 78, respectively. Based on the air quality ratings, the average concentrations of NO2, and SO2 in the atmosphere were good while the concentrations of CO, PM2.5 and PM10 were very unhealthy, unhealthy and moderate, respectively. This study shows that this region is polluted with CO and particulate matters, hence requires prompt intervention plans and consistent monitoring.
-  Akpoghelie, J. O., Irerhievwie, G. O. Agbaire, P. O. and Orisaremi, A. (2016). An Assessment of Air Quality in Sub – Urban Cities in Isoko, Delta State Nigeria. Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering and Applied Sciences, 7(4): 179-185
-  Akuro, A. (2012). Air Quality Survey of some locations in the Niger Delta Area. Journal of Applied Sciences and Environmental Management, 16 (1): 125-134
-  AndalibMoghadam, S. H. (2007). 1st Professional Iranian Environmental Conference, Environmental Department of Tehran University, Tehran, Iran. Paper, 76-82.
-  Antai, R. E. (2016). An Investigative Approach on the Effects of Air and Noise Pollution in Uyo Metropolis, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, 3(6): 356-365
-  Cao, G., Zhang, X. and Zheng, F. (2006). Inventory of black carbon and organic carbon emissions from China. Atmospheric Environment, 40: 6516-6527
-  Giwa, S. O., Adama, O. O. Akinyemi, O. O. (2014). Baseline black carbon emissions for gas flaring in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 20: 373-379
-  Igweze, A. H., Amagoh, M. N. and Ashinze, A. N. (2014). Analysis of rainfall variations in the Niger Delta Region of Nigeria. IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology, 8(1): 25-30
-  Jo, P. D. and Herman, R. V. L. (2006). Effect of hydrocarbon on the environment. Environmental Science and Technology, 36(5):1130-1135
-  John, K. S. and Feyisayo, K. (2013). Air Pollution by Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisonous Gas in Lagos Area Southwestern Nigeria. Atmospheric and Climate Sciences, 3: 510-514
-  Khan, R. R. and Siddiqui, M. J. A. (2014). Review on effects of particulates; sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide on Human Health. International Research Journal of Environment Sciences, 3(4): 70-73
-  Kim, J. Yoon, S. Cho, S. Yu, J. Kim, H. Lim, G. and Kim, J. (2014). Acute health effects of accidental chlorine gas exposure. Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 26 (29): 1-11
-  Magaji, J. Y. and Hassan S. M. (2015). An assessment of air quality in and around Gwagwalada abattoir, Gwagwalada, Abuja, FCT. Journal of Environment and Earth Science, 5 (1): 87-92
-  Mohanty, C. R., Adapalaa, S. and Meikap, B. C. (2009). Removal of hazardous gaseous pollutants from industrialflue gases by a novel multi-staged fluidized bed desulfurizer. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 165: 427-434
-  Nsikak U. Benson, Adebusayo E. Adedapo, Omowunmi H. Fred-Ahmadu, Akan B. Williams, Essien D. Udosen, Olusegun O. Ayejuyo, Abass A. Olajire. (2018). New ecological risk indices for evaluating heavy metals contamination in aquatic sediment: A case study of the Gulf of Guinea. Regional Studies in Marine Science 18, 44-56
-  Onunugbo, P. O., Avwiri, G. O. and Chad-Umoren, Y. E. (2011). Impact of gas exploration on the Environmental radioactivity of Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Area, Nigeria. Energy and Environment, 22(8): 1017-1028
-  Osaiyuwu, R. C. and Ugbebor, J. N. (2019). Air quality assessment of some oil facilities host communities in Rivers State. Nigerian Journal of Technology, 38 (1): 242-252.
-  Seyyednejad, S. M., Majdian, K. Koochak, H. and Niknejad, M. (2011). Air pollution tolerance indices of some plants around industrial zone in south Iran. Asian Journal of Biological Science, 4(3): 300-305
-  Ugbebor, J. N. and Yorkor, B. (2018). Assessment of Ambient Air Quality and Noise Levels around Selected Oil and Gas Facilities in Nigeria. Journal of Scientific Research & Reports, 18(6): 1-11
Publication order reference