Determination of Heat of Biomass Pyrolysis and Particle Residence Time under Isothermal and Non-Isothermal Heating Conditions
Languages of publication
The experimental investigations for determination of heat of pyrolysis have given quite different results due to the influence of the experimental conditions on the measured heat of pyrolysis of biomass. Consequently, a theoretical investigation into the process is required. Therefore, this paper presents analytical model for the determination of heat of biomass pyrolysis and particle residence time under isothermal and non-isothermal heating conditions. The developed analytical solutions are used to investigate the effects of heating conditions on the heat of biomass pyrolysis and particle residence time. From study, it is established that the heat of the pyrolysis first showed endothermic peaks and followed by exothermic peaks at different temperatures for the different heating rates. Also, as the heating rate increases, the particle residence time in the reactor decreases and high heating rates favoured the production of tar and gas. The length of heating and its intensity affect the rate, extent and sequence of pyrolysis reactions, and composition of the resultant products.
-  E. J. Kansa, H. E. Perlee and R. F. Chaiken, R. Mathematical model of wood pyrolysis including internal forced convection. Combustion and Flame 29 (1977) 311-324
-  C. K. Lee, R. F. Chaiken, J. M. Singer. Charring pyrolysis of wood in ores by laser simulation. In: Proceedings of the 16th Symposium (International) on Combustion. The Combustion Institute: Pittsburgh, 1976, 1459-1470.
-  J. Villermaux, B. Antoine., J. Lede, F. Soulignac. A new model for thermal volatilization of solid particles undergoing fast pyrolysis. Chemical Engineering Science 41 (1986) 151-157
-  C. Di Blasi. Analysis of convection and secondary reaction effects within porous solid fuels undergoing pyrolysis. Combustion Science and Technology 90 (1993) 315-340
-  M. C. Melaaen and M. G. Gronli. Modeling and simulation of moist wood drying and pyrolysis. In: Bridgwater, A.V., Boocock, D.B.G. (Eds.), Developments in Thermochemical Biomass Conversion. Blackie, London, 1997, 132-146.
-  R. K. Jalan and V. K. Srivastava. Studies on pyrolysis of a single biomass cylindrical pellet–kinetic and heat transfer effects. Energy Conversion and Management 40 (1999) 467-494
-  M. R. Ravi, A. Jhalani., S. Sinha and A. Ray. Development of a semi-empirical model for pyrolysis of an annular sawdust bed. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 71 (2004) 353-374
-  F. Thurner and U. Mann. Kinetic investigation of wood pyrolysis. Industrial and Engineering Chemical Process Design and Development 20 (1981) 482-488
-  N. Prakash and T. Karunanithi. Kinetic Modelling in Biomass pyrolysis – a review. Journal of Applied Sciences Research, 4(12) (2008) 1627-1636
-  A. F. Roberts. 13th Int. Symposium on Combustion. The Combustion Institute, Pitts, (1971), 893.
-  W. R. Chan, M. Kelbon and B. B. Krieger, Modeling and experimental verification of physical and chemical processes during pyrolysis of large biomass particle. Fuel 64 (1985) 1505-1513
-  F. Shafizadeh and P. P. S. Chin. Thermal deterioration of wood. ACS Symposium Series 43 (1977) 57-81
-  C. A. Koufopanos, N. Papayannakos, G. Maschio and A. Lucchesi. Modelling of the pyrolysis of biomass particles. Studies on kinetics, thermal andheat transfer e4ects. The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering 69 (1991) 907-915
-  M. G. Sobamowo, S. J. Ojolo, C. A. Osheku and A. J. Kehinde. Analysis of heat transfer in the pyrolysis of differently shaped biomass particles subjected to different boundary conditions: Integral tranform methods. Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer Research 4 (2017) 21-34
-  M. G. Sobamowo, S. J. Ojolo and C. A. Osheku (2017). Analysis of pyrolysis kinetics of biomass particle under isothermal and non-isothermal heating conditions using differential transformation method. Global Journal of Research in Engineering, Vol. 17(6)
-  M. G. Sobamowo, S. J. Ojolo, A. J. Kehinde C. A. Osheku (2016). Theoretical Investigations of the Effects of Isothermal and Non-isothermal heating conditions on the Pyrolysis Kinetics of Biomass Particle. America Journal of Biomass and Bioenergy Vol. 5(1), 1-23
-  S. J. Ojolo, C. A. Osheku, M. G. Sobamowo (2013). Analytical Investigations of Kinetic and Heat Transfer in Slow Pyrolysis of a Biomass Particle. International Journal of Renewable Energy Development 2(2), 105-115
-  S. J. Ojolo, M. G. Sobamowo, C. A. Osheku and A. J. Kehinde. Numerical Simulations of Pyrolysis Kinetics of Shrinking Biomass Particle in Downdraft Gasifier. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Engineering and Technology Research, March 26-28, 2013. Vol. 2, 274-289. ISBN: 978-2902-58-6
-  M. G. Sobamowo, S. J. Ojolo, A. J. Kehinde. Influence of Isothermal and Non-Isothermal Heating Conditions On the Pyrolysis Kinetics of Biomass Particle. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference of Mechanical Engineering, Energy Technology amd Management, IMEETM Con Engineering Research, Sept. 3-5, 2014.
Publication order reference