Influence of potting media on growth and development of Solanum marcocarpon L.
Languages of publication
Solanum macrocarpon L., popularly known as African eggplant is an indigenous vegetable which is highly medicinal and nutritious. This study was conducted to evaluate the effect of different potting media on the growth and development of Solanum macrocarpon. Six different potting media including topsoil (100%), river sand (100%), sawdust (100%), topsoil and river sand (50:50), topsoil and sawdust (50:50), and river sand and sawdust (50:50) were used for growing S. macrocarpon. The experiment was laid out in Complete Randomized Design (CRD) with four replicates. It was found that potting media (p>0.05) significantly affected the leaf length, leaf breadth, leaf number, stem diameter and plant height of plant. Plants grown in topsoil showed the highest performance in the leaf area, plant height, stem diameter and leaf number. These parameters observed in plants grown in topsoil were significantly different (p<0.05) from those grown in other media. The present study revealed that type of media significantly affects the growth parameters and as such selection of the appropriate medium for the cultivation of the species is necessary for optimum growth and development. Further, the growth of S. macrocarpon can be better enhanced using topsoil as the potting media.
-  Akintoye H.A., AdeOluwa O.O., Akinkunmi O.Y. 2013. Effect of different growth media on the growth and fl owering of beefsteak begonia (Begonia erythrophylla). J. Appl. Hort. 15(1): 57-61
-  Awodoyin R.O., Ogunyemi S. Ladipo D.O. 2001. Studies on some nursery management techniques for Irvingia wombulu (Syn. Exolia) ex. Okafor. Nig. J. Ecol. 3: 24-28.
-  Bhat N.R., Suleiman M.S., Thomas B., Lekha V.S., George P., Ali I.S. 2013. Growing substrate for organic lettuce production in Kuwait. World J. Agric. Sci. 9(2): 143-147.
-  Bvenura C., Afolayan A.J. 2014. Growth and physiological response of Solanum nigrum L. to organic and/or inorganic fertilizers. J. Appl. Bot. Food Qual., 87: 168-174.
-  Ekpo M.O., Sita S.K. 2010. Influence of growing media on stem diameter and ecological characteristics of Pinus patula seedlings in Switzerland. World J. Agric. Sci. 6(6): 652-659.
-  Indriyani N.L.P., Hadiati S., Soemargono, A. 2011. The effect of planting medium on the growth of pineapple seedling. J. Agric. Bio. Sci. 6(2), 43-48.
-  Nair A., Ngouajio M., Biernbaum J. 2011. Alfalfa based organic amendment in peat-compost growing medium for organic tomato transplant production. Hort. Sci. 46(2): 253- 259.
-  Neelam A., Ishtiaq M. 2001. Response of Eucalyptus camaldulensis seedlings to different soil media. Sarhad J. Agric. 17(1): 75-79.
-  Oboh G., Ekperigin, M.M., Kazeem, M.I. 2005. Nutritional and haemolytic properties of eggplants (S. macrocarpon) leaves. J. Food Compos. Anal. 18(2): 153-160.
-  Olle M., Ngouajio M. Siomos A. 2012. Vegetable productivity as influenced by growing medium: A review, Agric. 99(4): 399- 408.
-  Olosunde O.M., Fawusi M.O.A. 2003. Effect of growing media on rooting of Queen of Philippines (Mussaenda philippica A. Rich). Proceedings of the 21st Annual Conference of Horticultural Society of Nigeria. Pp 121-126.
-  Ondieki M.J., Aguyoh J.N., Opiyo A.M. 2011. Fortified compost manure improves yield and Growth of African nightshades. Int. J. Sci. Nat. 2: 231-237.
-  Okunomo, K., Oghenerhoro, E.O., Ojeifo, I.M. 2004. Effect of soil type on germination and seedling growth of Dacryodes edulis (Don. G. Lam H.J.). J. Sustain. Trop. Agric. Res 12: 46-50.
-  Okunomo K., Ogisi D.O., Bosah B.O. 2009. Effect of growth media on germination and seedling growth of Persea americana (Mill.), J. Food Agric. Env. 7(1): 111-113.
-  Peter-Onoh C.A., Obiefuna J.C., Ngwuta A.A., Onoh P.A., Ibeawuchi I.I., Ekwugha E.U., Emma-Okafor, L. C., Nze, E. O., Orji, J. O. and Onyeji, E.C. 2014. Efficacy of Five Different Growth Media on Seedling Emergence and Juvenile Phenology of Monodora myristica (African nutmeg, Ehuru) in the Nursery. IOSR J. Agric. Vet. Sci. 7(5): 60-63.
-  Riaz A., Arshad M., Younis A., Raza A., Hameed M. 2008. Effects of Different Growing Media on Growth and Flowering of Zinnia elegans cv. Blue Point. Pak. J. Bot. 40(4): 1579-1585.
-  Riffat A., Noreen F., Misbah R., Khalid M.Q., Ishfaq A., Khalid S.K. Atif K. 2011. Influence of different growth media on the fruit quality and reproductive growth parameters of strawberry (Fragaria ananassa). J. Med. Plants Res. 26: 6224-6232.
-  Saeed I.M., Abbasi R. and Kazim M. 2001. Response of maize (Zea mays) to nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization under agro-climatic condition of Rawalokol, Azad Jammu and Kaslim and Kashmir, Pak. J. Bio. Sci. 4: 949-952.
-  Saxena M.C., Singh Y. 1965. A note on leaf area estimation of intact maize leaves. Indian J. Agron. 10: 437-439.
-  Vaughn S.F., Deppe N.A., Palmquist, D.E., Berhow M.A. 2011. Extracted sweet corn tassels as renewable alternative to peat in greenhouse substrates. Ind. Crop Prod. 33(3): 514-517.
Publication order reference