Direct organogenesis for mass propagation of Peperomia pellucida L. an epiphytic medicinal herb
Languages of publication
The direct organogenesis from nodal meristems of Peperomia pellucida L. was reported in this study. The explants were sterilized using 0.1% mercuric chloride. Since, the plant tissues are very soft and delicate 3 min treatment is optimum for surface sterilization of the explants. The adventitious shoots were induced on MS medium augmented with 2.0 mg/L BAP. Maximum 96% explants responded on this medium combination with 12.6 ±0.74 shoots per explant (4.2 ±0.44 cm average lengths). The shoots were further multiplied on MS medium + 0.5 mg/L each of BAP and Kin, resulted in maximum shoots formation (127.2 ±0.30 shoots per explant with 7.7 ±0.30 cm in length) after 4 week. The effects of auxins were tested for induction of in vitro roots from the cut ends of the shoots. The in vitro multiplied shoots were rooted on half strength MS medium fortified with 1.5 mg/L IBA. Maximum number of roots per shoot (10.8 ±0.39 roots with 6.8 ±0.33 cm length) was induced with IBA as compared to IAA. The rooted plantlets were carefully removed from the medium, washed properly and transferred to the paper cups contained soilrite. These were kept in the greenhouse for 4-6 weeks and moistened with aqueous solution of one-fourth strength MS salts. The hardened plantlets were finally transplanted in the field under natural conditions with 100% survival rate. The developed protocol can be used for mass multiplication of this medicinal plant which can help to fulfill the gap in the demand and supply of this epiphytic medicinal plant.
-  M.P. Mishra, http://www.ecosensorium.org/2012/07/a-rare-epiphytic-medicinal-weed.html (Access date 14-11-2014).
-  B. Horwith, K. Lindsay, St. John's, Antigua, 1999.
-  J.C. Bayma, M.S. Arruda, A.H. Muller, A.C. Arruda, W.C. Canto, Phytochemistry 55 (2000) 779-782.
-  M.F. Arrigoni-Blank, E.G. Dmitrieva, E.M. Franzotti, A.R. Antoniolli, M.R. Andrade, M. Marchioro, Journal of Ethnopharmacology 91 (2004) 215-218.
-  P. Majumder, P. Abraham, V. Satya, Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences 2 (2011) 358-364.
-  A. Ghani, Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1998.
-  S. Xu, N. Li, M.M. Ning, C.H. Zhou, Q.R. Yang, M.W. Wang, Journal of Natural Products 69 (2006) 247-250.
-  D.J. Ooi, S. Iqbal, Molecules 17 (2012) 11139-11145.
-  T.G. Gini, G.J. Jothi, International Journal of Pharmacognosy Phytochemistry Research 5 (2013) 200-214.
-  L.S. Wei, W. Wee, J.Y. Siong, D.F. Syamsumir, Acta Medica Iranica 49 (2011) 670-674.
-  A. Maxia, D. Falconieri, A. Piras, S. Porcedda, B. Marongiu, M.A. Frau, M.J.Goncalves, C. Cabral, C. Cavaleiro, L. Salgueiro, Mycopathologia 174 (2012) 61-67.
-  R. Parise-Filho, M. Pastrello, C.E. Pereira Camerlingo, G.J. Silva, L. Agostinho, T. de Souza, F.M. Motter Magri, R.R. Ribeiro, C.A. Brandt, M.C. Polli, Pharmaceutical Biology 49 (2011) 1173-1179.
-  R.R. Martinez, J. Arrieta, L.C. Antonio, D.A. Baez, A.M.V. Mendez, M.E.S Mendoza, Molecules 18 (2013) 11327-11337.
-  N.H. Loc, N.H. Bach, T.G. Kim, M.S. Yang, Protein Expression and Purification 72 (2010) 82-86.
-  G.W. Staples, W.S. Kristiansen, University of Hawaii Press, 1999.
-  M. Zakaria, M.A. Mohd, Fajar Bakti, Indonesia, 1992.
-  F.V. Sussa, S.R. Damatto, M.M. Alencar, B.P. Mazzilli, P.S.C. Silva, International Nuclear Atlantic Conference -2011, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil, 2011.
-  P.I. Aziba, A. Adedeji, M. Ekor, O. Adeyemi, Fitoterapia 72 (2001) 57-58.
-  T. Murashige, F. Skoog, Physiologia Plantarum 15 (1962) 473-497.
-  M.S. Shekhawat, N. Kannan, M. Manokari, South African Journal of Botany 100 (2015) 43-50.
-  A.K. Patel, T. Agarwal, M. Phulwaria, V. Kataria, N.S. Shekhawat, Industrial Crops and Products 52 (2014) 499-505.
-  S. Sreeranjini, E.A. Siril, Indian Journal of Biotechnology 13 (2014) 121-130.
-  M. Phulwaria, N.S. Shekhawat, J.S. Rathore, R.P. Singh, Industrial Crops and Products 42 (2013) 25-29.
-  M.A Bhat, A. Mujib, A. Junaid, M. Mohamooduafar, Biologia Plantarum 54 (2010) 757-760.
-  H. Padmapriya, A.V.P. Karthikeyan, J.G. Hussain, C. Karthi, P. Velayutham, Journal of Agricultural Technology 7 (2011) 1063-1073.
-  M.S. Shekhawat, N. Kannan, M. Manokari, M.P. Ramanujam, Journal of Sustainable Forestry 33 (2014) 327-336.
-  M.S. Phulwaria, R. Kheta, P. Gahlot, N.S. Shekhawat, New Forests 42 (2011) 317-327.
-  K. Karthikeyan, C. Chandran, S. Kulothungan, Indian Journal of Biotechnology 8 (2009) 232-235.
-  M.S. Shekhawat, N.S. Shekhawat, Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 33 (2011) 1445-1450
Publication order reference