Phenotypic characterization of indigenous chicken population in Gwer-West, Benue State, Nigeria
Languages of publication
This study was carried out to characterize native chickens of Gwer-West Local Government Area of Benue State, Nigeria, based on some phenotypic traits. A total of seven thousand and ninety-one (7091), 4624 females and 243 males, mature native chickens were randomly sampled from the study area. The study covered eleven (11) council wards (North Bank I, Wadata, Modern Market, Wala-mayo, Central South Mission, Bar, Fiidi, Agan, Clerk Mission, Mbalagh and North Bank II). The study was conducted between June and August 2012. Parameters examined include live body weight, body length, feather types, head shape, plumage colour, shank colour, beak colour, comb type ear-lobe colour and wattle colour. Majority of the chickens sampled are female (65.21%). The most predominant feather type, head shape, plumage colour, shank colour, beak colour, comb type, ear-lobe colour and wattle colour were normal (88.49%), plain (92.42%), complete brown (29.01%), white (41.19%), single (88.49%), white (79.37%) and white (68.02%) respectively. Mean live body weight of males (1.38 kg ±0.20) was significantly (p<0.05) heavier than the mean live body weight of females (1.23 kg ±0.19). Males were also superior to females in terms of body length (53.77 cm ±6.01 and 49.05 cm ±5.40 respectively). The study revealed that most of the parameters measured revealed distinctive variations, providing the basis for further characterization of native birds breeds, therefore future study can be concentrated on selection for qualitative traits of interest.
- Department of Animal Production and Health, Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State, Nigeria
- Department of Animal Breeding and Physiology, University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria
- Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Sciences, Ondo State University, Okitipupa, Nigeria
-  Adebambo, O. A., C. O. N Ikeobi, M. O. Ozoje, J. A. Adenowo and O. A. Osinowo, (1999). Colour variations and performance characteristics of the Indigenous chickens of South West Nigeria. Nig. J. Anim. Prod., 26: 15-22.
-  Adebambo, O., Ikeobi, C. O. N., Ozoje, M. O., Adenow, J. A., and Osinowo, O. A. (1999). Colour variation and Performance Characteristics of the indigenous Chickens of South Western Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Animal production. 26: 15-22.
-  Ajayi, F. O and Agaviezor, B. O. (2009). Phonotypic Characteristic of Indigenous Chicken in Selected Local Government Areas in Bayelsa State, Nigeria International Poultry Summit Feb. 22-26, Abeokuta. Pp: 75-78.
-  Ajayi, F. O. (2010). Nigerian Indigenous Chicken: A value Genetic Resources for Meat and Egg Production. Asian journal of poultry science. 4: 164-172.
-  Angel, L. Lambio (2010). Trends and Opportunity in Organic Poultry Production. http//www.searca.orgs/webladss/2010/handouts/sslambio21jun2010.pdf
-  Apuno, A. A., Mbap, S. T. and Ibrahim, T. (2011). Characterization of local chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus) in Shelleng and Song Local Government Areas of Adamawa State, Nigeria. Agriculture and Biology Journal of North America. 2(1): 6-14.
-  Atlas.com
-  Atteh J. O. (2004). Theory and Practice of Poultry Production.
-  Atteh, J. O. (1990). Rural poultry production in Western Middle-Belt-Region of Nigeria. In: Rural poultry production in Africa. Ed. Sonaiya, E. B. Proceedings of an international workshop on Rural poultry in Africa. Ile-Ife, Nigeria, 13-16 Nov. 1989, pp: 211-217.
-  Badubi, S. S., Rakereng, M. and Marumo, M. (2006). Morphological Characteristics and Feed Resources Available for Indigenous Chickens in Botswana. Livestock Research for Rural Development. 16(7).
-  Bogale, K. (2008). In Situ Characterization of Local Chicken Eco-type for Functional Traits and Production System in Fogera Woreda, Amhara Regional State. Haramaya University, Ethiopia, pp. 123. http://mahider.ilri.org/bistream/handle/10568/679/ThesisBongal
-  Daikwo, I. S., Okpe, A. A and J. O. Ocheja, J. O. (2011). Phenotypic Characterization of Local Chickens in Dekina. International Journal of Poultry Science 10(6): 444-447.
-  Duguma, R. (2006). Phenotypic characterization of some indigenous chicken ecotypes of Ethiopia. Livestock Rese. Rural Dev., 18: 2006.
-  Egahi, J. O., Dim, N. I., Momoh, O. M. and Gwaza, D. S. (2010). Variations in Qualitative Traits in the Nigeria Local Chicken. International Journal of Poultry Science. 9: 978-979.
-  Emuron N., Magala H., Kuginza D. R., Kyazxe F. B. and Kyyarisuma C. C. (2010). Factors influencing the trade of local chickens. Livestock Research Rural Development. 22(4): http//www.lordorg/irrd22/4/
-  FAOSTAT 2007. Food and Agriculture Organization statistical database. CDROM. http://www.whatman.com
-  Fayeye, T. R., Ayorinde, K. L., Ojo, V. and Adesina, O. M. (2006). Frequency and Influence of some Major Genes on Body Weight and body size Parameters of Nigerian Local Chickens. Livestock Research Rural Development. Vol. 18.
-  Gueye, E. F. (2003). Production and Consumption Trend in Africa. World poultry science. 19:12-14.
-  Halima, H. M. (2007). Phenotypic and Genetic Characterization of Indigenous Chicken Populations in Northwest Ethiopia. Ph.D Thesis, University of Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa.
-  Horst, P. (1989). Native Fowl as Reservoir for Genomes and Major Genes with Direct and Indirect Effects on Adaptability and their Potential for Tropical oriented breeding plans. Arch. Fur Guflugelk. 53: 93-101.
-  Idris, D. Y., Omar, T. U., Hassan, A., Karabonde, A. U., Barau, B., Dahiru, M. I., Mani, I. A and Yusuf, A. (2014). Morphometric Measurement of Fulani Domestic Fowl in Dogwa L.G.A, Kano State. Proceeding of the 47th Annual Conference of Agricultural Society of Nigeria (ASN). Nov. 4 - 8, Federal College of Animal Health and Production Technology, Moor Plantation, Ibadan. Pp: 1060-1063.
-  Ige, A. O., Salako, A. E., Yakubu, A. and Adeyemi, S. A. (2012). Qualitative Traits Characterization of Yoruba and Fulani Ecotype Indigenous Chickens in Derived Savannah Zone of Nigeria. International Journal of Poultry Science 11(10): 616-620.
-  Mancha, Y. P. (2004). Characterization of local chickens in Northern part of the Jos Plateau. A PhD Thesis, Animal Production Programme, School of Agriculture, ATBU, Bauchi.
-  Momoh, O. M., Ehiobu, N. G. and Nwosu, C. C. (2007). Egg production of two Nigerian Local Chicken Ecotype Under Improved Management. Proceedings 32nd Annual Conference of Nigerian Society for Animal Production, March 18-22, University of Calabar, Nigeria. pp. 278-281.
-  Morathop, S., S. Trimance, A. Leotargul and Mahakanta, (20070. Phenotypic characteristics, body weights and body conformation of decoy chicken in upper North Thailand, 4: 112-118.
-  Nesheim, C. M., Austic, E. R. and Card, E. L. (1979). Poultry Production Lea and Febiger Philadelphia 12th Edition; pp: 58-92.
-  Nwosu, C. C. (1979). Characterization of the Local Chicken in Nigeria and its Potential for Egg and Meat Production. Proceeding of the 1st National Seminar on poultry production. Dec. 11 - 13, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. Pp: 187 210.
-  Odubote, I. K. (1994). Influence of qualitative traits on performance of West Africa dwarf goats. Nig. J. Anim. Prod., 21: 25-28.
-  Ohwojakpor, O., Olowofeso, O., Adebambo, O. A and Onagbesan, O. M. (2012). Genetic diversity of chicken populations in south-south region of Nigeria using microsatellite markers. Egypt. Poult. Sci. Vol. (32) (II): 263-271.
-  Olawunmi, O. O., Salako, A. E. and Afuwape, A. A. (2008). Morphometric Differentiation and Assessment Function of the Fulani and Yoruba Ecotype Indigenous Chickens of Nigeria. Int. J. Morphol. 26: 975-980.
-  Orheruata, M.A., M. Okpeku and I.G. Imumorin, (2004). Phenotypic and Body Measurement Characteristics in Native and Some Exotic Chickens in Edo State. Proc. of the 29th Ann. Conf. of the Nig. Soc. for Anim. Prod. Vol., 29: 17-21.
-  Ozoje, M. O., Ikeobi, C. O. N., Adebambo, O. A. and Adenowo, J. A. (1999). Occurring patterns and frequencies of Colour genes in some indigenous poultry species in Nigeria. Trop. J. Anim. Sci., 2: 151-162.
-  RIM (Resources Inventory and Management Ltd). (1992). Nigeria National Livestock Survey. Federal Department of Livestock and Pest Control Services, Abuja, Nigeria. Pp: 287.
-  Roberts, J. A. (1995). Assessing the scavenging feed resource base for sustainable Smallholder poultry development. Proceedings ANRPD workshop, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Pp 40-52.
-  Sonaiya, E. B. (1990). The context and prospects for development of Small holder rural poultry production in Africa. Proceedings CTA International Seminar on small holder Rural Poultry Production. Thessaloniki, Greece, 1: 35-52.
-  Sonaiya, E. B. (2003). Producing local livestock-Improving rural livelihoods. Proceedings of 28th Annual Conference of the Nigerian Society for Animal Production, Volume, 28: 462.
-  Sonaiya, E. B. and Olori, V. E. (1990). Village poultry production in southwestern Nigeria. In: E. B. Sonaiya, ed. Rural Poultry in Africa: Proc. of Int. Workshop held in Ile-Ife, Nigeria, November 13-16, pp. 243-247.
-  Sonaiya, E. B., Odubote, L. K., Badman, R., Demey, F., Wimmers, K., Valle-Zarate, A. and Horn, P. (1998). Evaluation of the Nigerian local poultry ecotypes for genetic variation, disease resistance and productivity. In: Animal Agriculture in West Africa: The sustainability Question (Ed: Oduguwa, O.O., Fanimo, A.O. and Osinowo, O.A). Proceedings of the Silver Anniversary conference of the Nigerian society for Animal production, 21-26 March, Abeokuta, pp: 316.
-  SPSS, 2000. Statistical Package for Social Sciences. www.release7.5.1.standard version.
-  Vietmeyer, N. D. (1991). Micro livestock: Little-known Small Animals with a Promising Economic Future. National Academy Press, Washington, D. C. Mbap, S. T. and Zakar, H. (2000). Characterization of local chickens in Yobe state, Nigeria. In: The Role of Agriculture in poultry in poverty Alleviation. Abubakar, M. M., Adegbola, T. A. and Butswat, I. S. R. (Ed). Proceedings of the 34th Annual Conference of Agricultural society of Nigeria. 15-19 Oct, Bauchi, pp: 126-131.
-  Williamson, G. and W. J. A. Payne, (1982). An Introduction to Animal Husbandry in the Tropics. ELBS/Longman, pp: 755.
Publication order reference