NEW HOMOGENEOUS BLENDS OF DIBUTYRYLCHITIN AND ALIPHATIC POLYESTERS
Languages of publication
The results of physical modification of dibutyrylchitin (DBCH) for the purpose of improvement of its imperfect mechanical properties are presented. Thus, the novel blends of DBCH and biodegradable aliphatic copolymer derived from ε-caprolactone, L-lactide and glycolide (PCLG) in various proportions were prepared and examined. DBCH/PCLG blends with PCLG contents between 6 - 50 wt% were successfully prepared in film form with the thickness in the range of 10 - 500 μm. The morphology of these blend films was studied by means of differential scanning calorimetry and infrared spectroscopy. DBCH was found to be able to form miscible blends with PCLG polyester within the whole composition range studied; revealed that blends were composed of an amorphous homogeneous phase as evidenced by the presence of a single glass transition temperature, that to decrease with increasing PCLG content in materials. Furthermore, physical modification of DBCH with polyester resulted in superior mechanical properties – the blended materials exhibited a much higher toughness and elongation at break as well as a lower value of elasticity modulus.
47 - 54
- Goosen M. F. A. (ed.): Applications of Chitin and Chitosan, Technomic Publishing AG, Basel, 1997.
- Biniaś D., Boryniec S., Biniaś W., Włochowicz A.; (2006) Alkaline treatment of dibutyrylchitin fibres spun from polymer solution in ethyl alcohol. Fibres & Textiles in Eastern Europe, Vol. 14, No. 3 (57), pp. 12-18.
- Szosland L.; (1996) Synthesis of highly substituted butyryl chitin in the presence of perchloric acid, J. Bioactive and Compatible Pol., 11, pp. 61-71.
- Schoukens G., Kiekens P., Krucinska I.; (2009) New bioactive textile dressing materials from dibutyrylchitin. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology 21, 2/3, 93-101
- Szosland L., Janowska G.; (1996) Method for preparation of dibutyrylchitin. Polish Patent, PL 169077 B1.
Publication order reference