Impact of Exchange Rate on Economic Growth in Sri Lanka
Languages of publication
Exchange rate is identified as a factor for turning vector of the economic growth of countries which was empirically confirmed by several related studies. But in Sri Lankan context it was not confirmed. Therefore, the objective of this study was to test the impact of exchange rate on the economic growth in Sri Lanka. To achieve this objective, the annual time series data from 1970 to 2015 were used and the variables such as gross domestic product, exchange rate, inflation rate, and interest rate were considered and the multiple regressions model using Ordinary Least squared method was employed. Based on the outcome of the multiple regression model, this study confirmed that the exchange rate positively influenced on the economic growth in Sri Lanka at one percent significant level.
-  A. Ahmad, N. Ahmad, S. Ali, Exchange rate and Economic growth in Pakistan, Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, 3:8 (2013) 740-746.
-  B.A. Azeez, F.T. Kolapo, L.B. Ajayi, Effect of exchange rate volatility on macroeconomic performance in Nigeria, Interdisciplinary journal of contemporary research in business, 4:1 (2012) 149-155.
-  David, Umeh, Ameh, The effect of exchange rate fluctuations on Nigeria manufacturing sector, African journal of business management 4:14 (2010) 2994-2998
-  G. Jayachndran, Impact of exchange rate on trade GDP for India: A study of last four decades, International journal of marketing, financial & management research, 2:9 (2013) 154-170.
-  J.O Adeniran, S.A. Yusuf, A.A. Olatoke, The impact of exchange rate fluctuation on the Nigerian economic growth: An Empirical Investigation, 4:8 (2014) 224-233.
-  M.A. Adebiyi, R.O.S. Dauda. The liberalization policy and industrialization growth performance in Nigeria: An error correction mechanism technique, Economic review, the Central Bank of Nigeria, (2009).
-  M. Kogid, R. Asid, J. Lily, D. Mulok, N. Loganathan, The effect of exchange rates on economic growth: Empirical testing on norminal versus real, the IUP journal of financial economics, X (2012) 7-17.
-  O.J. Asher, The impact of exchange rate fluctuation on the Nigeria economic growth, Caritas University Emene, Enugu State, Nigeria.
-  P.P. Aghion, R. Ranciere, K.Rogoff, Exchange rate volatility and productivity growth: The role of financial development, Journal of monetary economics, 56:4 (2008) 494-513.
-  S.A.J. Obansa, O.K.D. Okoroafor, O.O. Aluko, M. Eze, Percieved relationship between exchange rate, interest rate and economic growth in Nigeria, American journal of humanities and social sciences, 1:3 (2013) 116-124.
-  T. Islam and Md.T. Hossain, Exchange rates and Economic Growth in Bangladesh: An Econometric Analysis, Trade and Development Review, 2:2 (2014) 79-92.
Publication order reference