Corporate Social Responsibility and Organizational Performance in Guinness Nigeria Plc, Benin City
Languages of publication
This study examined the effect of corporate social responsibility on organizational performance in Guinness Nigeria Plc, Benin City using survey research method. A sample of 312 respondents was drawn from the 857 employees using accidental sampling technique. Data collected were analyzed using correlation and regression analysis. The results of the study revealed that there is a positive and significant relationship between corporate social responsibility and organizational performance. The results also showed that corporate social responsibility do have a significant effect on organizational performance in Guinness Nigeria Plc, Benin City. Thus, this study recommends among others that the management of Guinness Nigeria Plc should make effort to sustained and improved social responsibility activities such as community projects and environmental protection in order to enhance peaceful and cordial relationship with inhabitants and achieved maximum organizational performance and competitive advantage.
-  A. Carroll, & K. Shabana, The business case for corporate social responsibility: A review of concepts, research and practice. International Journal of Management Review, 12(1) (2010) 85-105
-  R. Bernardi, & V. Threadgill, Women directors and corporate social responsibility electronic. Journal of Business Ethics and Organization Studies 113(2) (2010) 185-197
-  D. Jamali, M.S. Asem, & M. Rabbath, Corporate governance and corporate social responsibility synergies and interrelationships. Journal Compilation of Blackwell, 16(5) (2008) 443-459
-  T. Nasieku, O.R. Togun, & E.M. Olubunmi, Corporate social responsibility and organizational performance: A theoretical review. International Journal of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education, 1(12) (2014) 106-114
-  I. Abiola, Corporate social responsibility in Nigerian banking industry: When will the lip-service game end? Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, 5(22) (2014) 21-26
-  S. Brammer, A. Millington, & S. Pavelin, Corporate reputation and women on the board. British Journal of Management, 20 (1) (2009) 17-29
-  M. Porter, & M. Kramer, Strategy and society. The link between competitive advantage and corporate social responsibility. Harvard Business Review, 84 (12) (2006) 78-92
-  T. Forsyth, Environmental responsibility and business regulation: The case of sustainable tourism. Geographical Journal, 163 (1997) 270-280
-  European Union, Green paper: Promoting a European framework for corporate social responsibility. Brussels: EU Commission 2001.
-  C.O. Omodero, & J.U. Ihendinihu, Impact of environmental and corporate social responsibility accounting on organizational financial performance: Evidence from selected listed firms in Nigeria stock exchange. Journal of Emerging Trends in Economics and Management Sciences, 7(5) (2016) 291-306
-  A.B. Carroll, The pyramid of corporate social responsibility: Towards the moral management of organizational stakeholders. Journal of Business Horizons, 34 (4) (1991) 39-48
-  S.L. McShane, & V. Glinow, Organizational behaviour. New York: McGraw. Hill 2003.
-  H. Osisiomi, H. Nzewi, & P. Nwoye, Corporate social responsibility and performance of selected firms in Nigeria. International Journal of Research in Business Management, 3(3) (2015) 57-68
-  T.A. Odetayo, A.Z. Adeyemi, & A.S. Sajuyigbe, Impact of corporate social responsibility on profitability of Nigerian banks. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 4 (8) (2014) 252-263
-  F.S. Olajide, Corporate social responsibility practices and stakeholders expectation: The Nigerian perspectives. Research in Business and Management, 1(2) (2014) 13-31
-  E. Yaroson, & G. Giwa, women as directors and corporate social responsibility in Nigeria. International Review of Management and Business Review, 5(1) (2016) 97-105
-  D. Crowther, & G. Aras, Corporate social responsibility. Retrieved from http://mdos.silfiles/defining-corporate-social-responsibility.pdf 2008
-  M. Armstrong, Armstrong’s handbook of human resource management practice. London: Kogan page 2009.
-  Y. Yi, A. Critical review of customer satisfaction. Chicago: American Marketing Association 1990.
-  R.I. Akindele, Corporate social responsibility: An organization tool for survival in Nigeria. Retrieved from www.readperiodicals.com 2011.
-  R.K. Mittal, N. Sinha, & A. Singh, An analysis of linkage between economic value added and corporate social responsibility, Management Decision, 46(9) (2008) 1437-1443
-  O. Anyafufu, Corporate social responsibility in Nigeria. International Journal of Business Research and Development, 3(1) (2010) 86-98
-  L. Garay, & X. Font, Doing good to do well? Corporate social responsibility reasons, practices and impacts in small and medium accommodation enterprises. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 31 (2011) 329-337
-  M. Skare, & T. Goja, Corporate social responsibility and corporate financial performance- Is there a link? Economic Research – Ekonomska Istrazivanja, 25 (1) (2012) 215-242
-  J.M.S. Filho, L.S.O. Wanderley, C.P. Gomez, & F. Farache, strategic corporate social responsibility management for competitive advantage. Brazilian Administrative Review, 7(3) (2010) 294-309
-  C. Barnard, The functions of the executive. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press 1938.
-  R.E. Freeman, Strategic management: A stakeholder perspective. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall 1984.
Publication order reference