RHEOLOGICAL AND MECHANICAL STUDIES OF CHITOSAN BLENDS WITH THE ADDITION OF AN IONIC LIQUID
Languages of publication
In the present paper, results from rheological measurements and tensile tests of polymer blends containing chitosan and poly(vinyl alcohol) with different additions of an ionic liquid are presented. Flow measurements were carried out using solutions of pure polymers and their blends with and without the addition of an ionic liquid. It has been observed that the polymer solutions and their blends exhibited non-Newtonian behaviour. Rheological parameters from the power law and activation energy of viscous flow were determined and discussed. Mechanical properties, such as the tensile strength and ultimate percentage of elongation of films, have been determined and compared. This study thus shows that the addition of an ionic liquid is an effective method for improving the flexibility of chitosan blends.
119 - 126
-  Rinaudo M; (2008) Review Main properties and current applications of some polysaccharides as biomaterials. Polym Int 57, 397-430. DOI: 10.1002/pi.2378
-  Rafique A., Zia K.M., Zuber M., Tabasum S., Rehman S.; (2016) Chitosan functionalized poly(vinyl alcohol) for prospects biomedical and industrial applications: A review. Int J Biol Macromol 87, 141-154. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2016.02.035
-  Muxika A., Etxabide A., Uranga J., Guerrero P., de la Caba K.; (2017) Chitosan as a bioactive polymer: Processing, properties and applications. Int J Biol Macromol 105, 1358-1368. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.07.087
-  Boesel L.F.; (2015) Effect of plasticizers on the barrier and mechanical properties of biomimetic composites of chitosan and clay. Carbohydr Polym 115, 356-363. DOI: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2014.08.064
-  Thorat G.B., Gupta S., Murthy Z.V.P.; (2017) Synthesis, characterization and application of PVA/ionic liquid mixed matrix membranes for pervaporation dehydration of isopropanol. Chin J Chem Eng 25, 1402-1411. DOI: 10.1016/j.cjche.2017.02.011
-  Chen M., Runge T., Wang L., Li R., Feng J., Shu X.L., Shi Q.S.; (2018) Hydrogen bonding impact on chitosan plasticization. Carbohydr Polym 200, 115-121. DOI: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2018.07.062
-  Sazanova T.S., Otvagina K.V., Vorotyntsev I.V.; (2018) The contributions of supramolecular organization to mechanical properties of chitosan and chitosan copolymers with synthetic polymers according to atomic force microscopy. Polym Test 68, 350-358. DOI: 10.1016/j.polymertesting.2018.04.031
-  Bohdanckỳ M., Kováŕ I; (1982) Viscosity of Polymer Solution. vol. 2, In A.D. Jenkins ed., Elsevier Science, Amsterdam.
-  Roberts G.A.F., Domoszy J.G.; (1982) Determination of the viscometric constants for chitosan. Int J Biol Macromol 4, 374-377. DOI: 10.1016/0141-8130(82)90074-5
-  Beresniewicz A.; (1959) The relations between intrinsic viscosity and molecular weight for partially alcoholized polyvinyl acetates J Polym Sci 39, 63-79. DOI:10.1002/pol.1959.1203913506
-  Trzciński S., Szulc D., Staszewska D.U.; (2000) Application and verification of the first derivative UV-spectrophotometry (1DUV) method of chitosan deacetylation degree determination. Progress on Chemistry and Application of Chitin and Its Derivatives VI, 15-20.
-  Finch C.A.; (1973) Poly(vinyl alcohol). Wiley, New York.
-  Lewandowska K.; (2012) Rheological properties of chitosan blends with partially hydrolyzed polyacrylamide in different solvents. Progress on Chemistry and Application of Chitin and Its Derivatives XVII, 53-58.
-  Lewandowska K.; (2015) Influence of molecular weight on structure and rheological properties of microcrystalline chitosan mixtures. Int J Biol Macromol 79, 583-586. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2015.05.026
-  Polish Norm PN-81/C-89034 (ISO 527-1 i 527-2).
-  Mucha M.; (1998) Rheological properties of chitosan blends with poly(ethylene oxide) and poly(vinyl alcohol) in solution. React Funct Polym 38, 19-25.
Publication order reference