Staycation as a way of spending free time by city dwellers: examples of tourism products created by Local Action Groups in Lesser Poland Voivodeship in response to a new trend in tourism
Languages of publication
Social and economic changes contribute to changes in the lifestyle of modern society, including as well the method of spending free time. City dwellers who, because of economic reasons, have to altogether resign from package holidays or just reduce expenses, are searching for an opportunity to relax in the countryside and towns located near their home. Therefore a phenomenon called staycation, which consists of visiting one's own city or its closest neighbourhood, is becoming more and more popular. Tourism products aimed at different groups of visitors are created in response to the changing needs and expectations of people. Local Action Groups are especially active in this field and in recent years they have run many projects concerning the creation of places attractive for a visit, relaxation and recreation. The purpose of the article was to present examples of tourism products created by these associations in Lesser Poland Voivodeship. The products presented in this article can be connected with the phenomenon of staycation and the current needs of dwellers concerning spending free time. Local cultural heritage and natural environment are becoming the basis for supralocal tourism products which allow promoting rural areas, little towns and outskirts of urban agglomerations.
-  G. Arabatzis, S. Aggelopoulos, S. Tsiantikoudis, Rural development and LEADER + in Greece: Evaluation of Local Action Groups, Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment 8(1) (2010) 302-307.
-  S. Bergmann, The beauty of speed or the discovery of slowness – why do we need to rethink mobility? In: S. Bergmann, T. Sager (Eds.), The ethics of mobilities: Rethinking place, exclusion, freedom and environment, Aldershot, UK: Ashgate (2008) 13-24.
-  F. Bronner, R. de Hoog, Economizing strategies during an economic crisis, Annals of Tourism Research 39(2) (2012) 1048-1069.
-  F. Bronner, R. de Hoog, Vacationers and the economic “double dip” in Europe, Tourism Management 40(1) (2014) 330-337.
-  R. Dodds, Questioning Slow as sustainable, Tourism Recreation Research 37(1) (2012) 81-83.
-  D. Guzal-Dec, Supporting development of tourism by local municipal self-governments within the naturally valuable areas of the Lubelskie Voivodship, Regional Barometer 12(3) (2014) 111-120.
-  K.H. Lee, A.C. Alexander, D.Y. Kim, A study of geographical distance groups on length of visitors’ stay at local food festival destinations, Journal of Vacation Marketing 20(2) (2014) 125–136.
-  X.Y. Lehto, S. Choi, Y.C. Lin, S.M. MacDermid, Vacation and family functioning, Annals of Tourism Research 36(3) (2009) 459-479.
-  J. G. Molz, Representing pace in tourism mobilities: Staycations, slow travel and the amazing race, Journal of Tourism and Cultural Change, 7(4) (2009) 270-286.
-  A. Papatheodorou, J. Rosselló, H. Xiao, Global economic crisis and tourism: Consequences and perspectives, Journal of Travel Research 49(1) (2010) 39-45.
-  S. Pyke, H. Hartwell, A. Blake, A. Hemingway, Exploring well-being as a tourism product resource, Tourism Management 55 (2016) 94-105.
-  Research Highlights. The Newsletter of the European Travel Commission Research Group, No. 3 (2006), ETC. Avaiable at: www.etc-corporate.org/market-intelligence/reports-and-studies (19.05.2016).
-  E. Smeral, The impact of the financial and economic crisis on European tourism, Journal of Travel Research 48(1) (2009) 3-13.
-  J.L. Nicolau, F.J. Ma´s, The influence of distance and prices on the choice of tourist destinations: The moderating role of motivations, Tourism Management 27(5) (2016) 982-996.
-  D. Webber, T. Buccellato, S. White, The global recession and its impact on tourists' spending in the UK, Economic and Labour Market Review 4(8) (2010) 65-73.
-  J. Wiechoczek, Transformacja koncepcji marketingowych przedsiębiorstw turystycznych pod wpływem zmian w zachowaniach konsumentów, Studia Ekonomiczne. Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Katowicach 215 (2015) 104-118.
-  M. Wixon, The great American staycation: How to make a vacation at home fun for the whole family (and your wallet!). Avon, MA: Adams Media (2009) 3-24.
-  K. Zajda, Cooperation between Local Action Groups. Comparison of networks created by organisations from the Lubuskie and Małopolskie Voivodeships, Journal of Agribusiness and Rural Development 1(27) (2013) 233-247.
Publication order reference