CHITOSAN AND CHITOSAN-POLYETHYLENIMINE MICROSPHERES PREPARED BY MEMBRANE EMULSIFICATION AND THEIR APPLICATION FOR DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEMS
Languages of publication
The aim of this paper was to prepare chitosan microspheres characterised by a narrow dispersion of dimensions, suitable for application for drug delivery systems (DDS). The materials, unmodified as well as functionalised using polyethyleneimine were then used for encapsulation of drug-mimicking dyes. The polymeric beads were prepared by one stage process of membrane emulsification. The encapsulation and then evaluation of the release of an active component was carried out using two cytostatics-mimicking dyes: methyl orange and Congo red. The efficiency of encapsulation changed with a type of microspheres and the type of a dye. The highest sorption towards dyes was revealed by PEI-modified chitosan microspheres. Methyl orange was released with the better efficiency than Congo red from all types of microspheres.
220 - 235
- V. P. Torchilin, Nanoparticulates as drug carriers, Imperial College Press, London 2006.
- G.A. Hughes, Nanostructure-mediated drug delivery,Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, 1 (2005) 22–30.
- C. Vauthier, C. Dubernet, E. Fattal, H. Pinto-Alphandary, P. Couvreur, Poly(alkylcyanoacrylates) as biodegradable materials for biomedical applications, Advance Drug Delivery, 55 (2003) 519–548.
- Y. Wang, J. Wang, Z. Yuan, H. Han, T. Li, L. Li, X. Guo, Chitosan cross-linked poly(acrylic acid) hydrogels: Drug release control and mechanism, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 152 (2017) 252–259.
- X.Z. Schu, K. J. Zhu, Chitosan/gelation microspheres prepared by modified emulsification and ionotropic gelation, Journal of Microencapsulation, 18 (2011) 237–245.
- L.-Y. Wang, G.-H. Ma, Z.-G. Su, Preparation of uniform sized chitosan microspheres by membrane emulsification technique and application as a carrier of protein drug,Journal of Controlled Release, 106(2005) 62–75.
- V. R. Sinha, A.K. Singla, S. Wadhawan, R. Kaushik, R. Kumria,K. Bansal, S. Dhawan, Chitosan microspheres as a potential carrier for drugs, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 274 (2004) 1–33.
- M.-S. Chiou, P.-Y. Ho, H.-Y. Li, Adsorption of anionic dyes in acid solutions using chemically cross-linked chitosan beads, Dyes and Pigments, 60 (2004) 69–84.
- Y. Jing, H. Gao, Ch.-Y. Yang, Chitosan microspheres modified with poly(ethylenimine) enhance the adsorption of methyl orange from aqueous solutions, Asia-Pacific Journal of Chemical Engineering, 11 (2016) 428–436.
- H. A. Shawky, Synthesis of ion-imprinting chitosan/PVA crosslinked membrane for selective removal of Ag(I), Biomaterials, 23 (2002) 2641–2648.
- M. Zhang, X. H. Li, Y. D. Gong, N. M. Zhao, X. F. Zhang, Properties and biocompatibility of chitosan films modified by blending with PEG, Biomaterials, 23 (2002) 2641–2648.
- J. Wolska, M. Bryjak, Preparation of poly(styrene-co-divinylbenzene) microspheres by membrane emulsification, Desalination, 241 (2009) 331–336.
- J. Wolska, M. Bryjak, Preparation of polymeric microspheres for removal of boron by means of sorption-membrane filtration hybrid, Desalination, 283 (2011) 193–197.
- S. M. Joscelyne, G. Trägårdh, Membrane emulsification—a literature review, Journal of Membrane Science, 169 (2000) 107–117.
- J. Wolska, Chitosan microspheres prepared by membrane emulsification for chromium removal from aqueous solutions, Progress on Chemistry and Application of Chitin and its Derivatives, 21 (2006) 203–216.
- Kosvintsev, G. Gasparini, R.G. Holdich, I.W. Cumming, M.T. Stillwell, Liquid–liquid membrane dispersion in a stirred cell with and without controlled shear. Industrial & Engineering. Chemistry Research, 44(2005) 9323–9330
- J. Wolska, Thermoresponsive molecularly imprinted polymer for rapid sorption and desorption of diethyl phthalate, Separation Science and Technology, 51 (2016) 2547–2553.
- D. Jermakowicz-Bartkowiak, P. Cyganowski, Effect of microwave radiation on the synthesis of ion exchange resins: a comparative study, Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange, 33 (2015) 510–521.
- D. A. Spivak, Optimization, evaluation, and characterization of molecularly imprinted polymers. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 57 (2005) 1779–1794.
- N. Kabay, S. Sarp, M. Yuksel, O. Arar, M. Bryjak, Removal of boron from seawater by selective ion exchange resins, Reactive and Functional Polymers,67 (2007) 1643–1650.
- R.-S. Juang, S.-H. Lin, K.-H. Tsao, Mechanism of sorption of phenols from aqueous solutions onto surfactant-modified montmorillonite, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 254 (2002) 234–241.
Publication order reference