Green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in 2 M HCl solution: Flavonoid extract of Erigeron floribundus
Languages of publication
The potential of flavonoid extract of Erigeron floribundus as green inhibitor for the corrosion of mild steel in 2 M HCl solution was studied using gasometric method. The results obtained, indicated that the extract is an adsorption inhibitor for the corrosion of mild steel. The inhibition efficiency of the inhibitor was found to increased with increase in concentration of the inhibitor. From the observed trend for the variation of inhibition efficiency with temperature and the range of value obtained from activation energy (16.16-3.02 KJmol-1), enthalpy (13.5-38.84 KJmol-1), entropy (-22.67 to 88.44 KJmol-1) and free energy (-4.23 to -2.61 KJmol-1), a chemical and physical adsorption mechanism is propose for the adsorption of the inhibitor on the mild steel surface. In addition, the adsorption is endothermic, spontaneous and is best described by Langmuir adsorption isotherm.
-  Ulaeto, S. B., Ekpe, U. J., Chidiebere, M. A. & Oguzie, E. E. (2012). Corrosion inhibition of mild steel in hydrochloric acid by acid extracts of Eichhornia crassipes. International journal of material chemistry, 2(4): 158-164.
-  Abeng, F. E., Idim, V. D. & Nna, P.J. Kinetic and thermodynamic studies of corrosion inhibition of mild steel using methanolic extract of Erigeron floribundus (Kunth) in 2 M HCl solution. World News of Natural Sciences 10 (2017) 26-38.
-  Abeng, F. E., Idim, V. D., Obono, O.E. & Magu, T. O. Adsorption and adsorption isotherm: application to corrosion inhibition studies of mild steel in 2 M HCl. World Scientific News 77(2) (2017) 298-313.
-  Abeng, F. E., Ekpe, U. J., Ikeuba, A. I., Ugi, B. U., & Nna, P. J. (2013). Inhibitive action of Alkaloid and non Alkaloid fractions of the ethanolic extracts of Phyllanthus amarus on the corrosion of mild steel in HCl solution. Global journal of pure and applied science, 19, 107-117.
-  Okafor, P. C., Ebenso, E. E.& Ekpe, U. J. Azadirachta indica extracts as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acid medium. International journal of electrochemical science 5 (2010) 978-993.
-  Eddy, N. O. & Mamza, P. A. (2009). Inhibitive and adsorption properties of ethanol extract of seeds and leaves of Azadirachta indica on the corrosion of mild steel in H2SO4 Portugaliae Electro-Chemical Acta, 27 (4), 443-456.
-  Eddy, N. O., Odoemelam S. A. & Ama, I. N. (2010). Ethanol extract of ocimum gratissimum as a green corrosion inhabitor for the corrosion of mild steel in H2SO4. Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews, 3(3), 165-172.
-  Eddy, N. O. & Ebenso, E. E. (2010). Corrosion inhibition and adsorption properties of ethanol extract of Gongronema latifoliumon mild steel in H2SO4. Pigment and Resin, 39 (2), 77-83.
-  Akalezi, C. O., Oguzie, E. E., Ogukwe, C. E. & Ejele, E. A. (2015). Rothmannia longiflora extract as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acidic media. International Journal of Industrial chemistry, D0110.1007/S40090-015-0050
-  Trabi, F. H., Kone, M. W & Koname, N. F. (2008). Antifungal activity of Erigeron floribundus. Tropical journal of pharmaceutical Research, 7(2): 975-979
-  Hubert, G. Y., Julieume, N., Charles, D. D., Daniel, F., Sandrive, P. T., Romain, F. F. & Henry, A. Z. (2013). Antifungal potential and phytochemical analysis of extracts from seven Cameroonian plants against late blight pathogen phytophthora intestans. International journal of curriculum microbiology of applied science, 2(5): 140-154.
-  Ikeuba, A. I., Ita, B. I., Etiuma, R. A., Bassey, V. M., Ugi, B. U. & Kporokpo, E. B. (2015). Green corrosion inhibitors for mild steel in H2SO4 solution: Flavonoids of Gongronema latifolium. Chemical and process engineering research, 34, 1-10.
-  Ikpi, M. E. & Abeng, F. E. (2017). Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy and gravimetric study of the corrosion inhibition of API 5L X-52 steel in HCl medium by levofloxacin. International journal of science and research, 6(6): 623- 628
-  Ugi, B. U & Abeng, F. E. Corrosion inhibition effects and adsorption characteristics of ethanol extract of king bitter root (Andrographis paniculata) on mild steel in 1.0 M HCl and H2SO4 acidmedia. Fountain Journal of natural and applied science, 2 (2013) 10-21.
-  T. O. Magu, V. M. Bassey, B. E. Nyong, O. E. Obono, N. A. Nzeata-Ibe, O. U. Akakuru. Inhibition studies of Spondias mombin L. in 0.1 HCl solution on mild steel and verification of a new temperature coefficient of inhibition efficiency equation for adsorption mechanism elucidation. World News of Natural Sciences 8 (2017) 15-26
-  M. E. Ikpi, F. E. Abeng, O. E. Obono. Adsorption and Thermodynamic Studies for Corrosion Inhibition of API 5L X-52 Steel in 2 M HCl Solution by Moxifloxacin. World News of Natural Sciences 9 (2017) 52-61
-  M. E. Ikpi, F. E. Abeng, B. O. Okonkwo. Experimental and computational study of levofloxacin as corrosion inhibitor for carbon steel in acidic media. World News of Natural Sciences 9 (2017) 79-90
-  H. Louis, J. Japari, A. Sadia, M. Philip, A. Bamanga. Photochemical screening and corrosion inhibition of Poupartia birrea back extracts as a potential green inhibitor for mild steel in 0.5 M H2SO4 medium. World News of Natural Sciences 10 (2017) 95-100
-  B. Adindu Chinonso, E. Oguzie Emeka. Investigating the extract constituents and corrosion inhibiting ability of Sida acuta leaves. World News of Natural Sciences 13 (2017) 63-81
-  Maduabuchi A. Chidiebere, Simeon Nwanonenyi, Demian Njoku, Nkem B. Iroha, Emeka E. Oguzie, Ying Li, Experimental study on the inhibitive effect of phytic acid as a corrosion inhibitor for Q235 mild steel in 1 M HCl environment. World News of Natural Sciences 15 (2017) 1-19
-  J. N. O. Ezeugo, O. D. Onukwuli, M. Omotioma, Optimization of corrosion inhibition of Picralima nitida leaves extract as green corrosion inhibitor for zinc in 1.0 M HCl. World News of Natural Sciences 15 (2017) 139-161
Publication order reference