Interstitial pneumonia during treatment with rituximab
Languages of publication
Rituximab (RTX) is a chimeric anti-CD20 antibody. It plays an important role in the treatment of B-cell lymphomas and diseases of autoaggression. RTX-induced lung disease is a rare entity, which should be considered in those patients treated with RTX who present with pulmonary disorders with no clear evidence of infection. A 37-year-old woman suffering from CD20-positive DLBCL (diffuse large B-cell lymphoma) received two cycles of the R-CHOP (RTX, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine and prednisone) regimen. After the second cycle of immunochemotherapy, symptoms of interstitial pneumonia occurred. Having excluded all the other causes, it was diagnosed as a complication associated with the administration of RTX.
- Coiffier B, Lepage E, Briere J et al. CHOP chemotherapy plus rituximab compared with CHOP alone in elderly patients with diffuse large-B-cell lymphoma. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 235-42.
- Cha SI, Choi KJ, Shin KM et al. Risk factors for rituximab-induced interstitial lung diseases in patients with malignant lymphoma. Respiration 2013; 85(2): 175.
- Nieuwenhuizen L, Verzijlbergen FJ, Wiltink E. et al. A possible role of 18F-FDG positron – emission tomography scanning in the early detection of rituximab-induced pneumonitis in patients with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Haematologica 2008; 93: 1267-69.
- Kanelli S, Ansell SM, Habermann T et al. Rituximab toxicity in patients with peripheral blood malignant B-cell lymphocytosis. Leukemia and Lymphoma 2001; 42(6): 1329-37.
- Byrd JC, Peterson BL, Morrison VA et al. Randomized phase 2 study of fludarabine, with concurrent versus sequential treatment with rituximab in symptomatic, untreated patients with B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia: results from Cancer and Leukaemia Group B 9712 (CALGB 9712). Blood 2003; 101(1): 6-14.
- Alexandrescu DT, Dutcher JP, O’Boyle K et al. Fatal intra-alveolar hemorrhage after rituximab in a patient with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Leukemia and Lymphoma 2004; 45(11): 2321-25.
- Hainsworth JD, Litchy S, Lamb MR et al. First-line treatment with brief-duration chemotherapy plus rituximab in elderly patients with intermediate-grade non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: phase II trial. Clin Lymphoma 2003; 4: 36-42.
- Burton C, Kaczmarski R, Jan-Mohamed R et al. Interstitial pneumonitis related to rituximab therapy. The New England Journal of Medicine 2003; 348(26): 2690-91.
- Julien V, Perrin C, Peyrade F et al. A case of acute respiratory failure related to rituximabtherapy. Rev Mal Respir 2004; 21: 407-10.
- Kimby E. Tolerability and safety of rituximab (MabThera). Cancer Treatment Reviews 2005; 31(6): 456-73.
Publication order reference