Application of different organic manures in optimizing optimum yield for wheat in calcareous soil
Languages of publication
A field experiment was conducted during winter season of 2014-2015 at a farm field located in Swabi Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan with the main aim to evaluate the influence of different organic manures on wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) production. The experiment was laid out in a randomized complete block design (RCBD), with four replications. The treatments were: T1 (control, no manure), T2 (Cattle manure), T3 (Poultry manure) and T4 (Sheep manure). All the organic manures were applied at the rate of 10 t ha-1. At maturity, plant height (cm), number of grains per spike, grain yield and biological yield were recorded. Results led to the conclusion that T3 (poultry manure) gave the best results, as compared to other treatments. The values of plant height, biological yield and grain yield were 87 cm, 13.66 t ha-1 and 5.750 t ha-1, respectively, for poultry manure treatment. Results for number of grains per spike and 1000-grain weight were found non-significant in the prevailing soil condition.
-  Walton, P.D., 1969. World crops. J. Inter. Agric. 21: 188-190.
-  Ahmad M, Afzal M, Ahmad A, Ahmad AUH, Azeem MI (2013) Role of organic and inorganic nutrient sources in improving wheat crop production. Cercetari Agronomic in Moldova 1: 15-20.
-  Abbas, G., Khattak, J. Z. K., Mir, A., Ishaque, M., Hussain, M., Wahedi, H. M., ... & Ullah, A. (2012). Effect of organic manures with recommended dose of NPK on the performance of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). J. Anim. Plant. Sci 22(3), 683-687.
-  Alam SM, Shah SA, Ali S, Iqbal MM (2003) Effect of integrated use of industrial wastes and chemical fertilizers on phosphorus upatake and crop yields. Pak J Soil Sci 22: 81-86.
-  Azad, M. I. and M. V. Yousaf (1982). Recycling of organic matter to improve the soil productivity. Pak.istan J. Agric. Research 22: 15-18.
-  Channabasanagowda, N. K., B. Patil, B. N. Patil, J. S. Awaknavar, B. T. Ninganurn and R. Hunje (2008). Effect of organic manures on growth, seed yield and quality of wheat. Karnataka J. Agric. Sci. 21(3): 366-368.
-  Ahmad, R., G. Jilani, M. Arshad, Z. A. Zahir and A. Khalid. (2007). Bio-conversion of organic wastes for their recycling in agriculture: An overview of perspectives and prospects. Annals of Microbiology 57(4): 471-479.
-  Pong, X.P and J. laty (2000). Organic farming :challenge of timing N availability to crop N requirements. Soil Sci. Soc 247-253.
-  Khaliq, A., M. K. Abbasi and T. Hussain (2006). Effects of integrated use of organic and inorganic nutrient sources with effective microorganisms (EM) on seed cotton yield in Pakistan. Bioresource Tech. 7(8): 967-972.
-  Jamal, A., & Jamal, H. (2018). Assessment and Distribution of Macro and Micro Nutrients in Different Soil Series of District Swabi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. Journal of Horticulture and Plant Research, 23.
-  Sarwar, G., Hussain, N., Schmeisky, H., Muhammad, S., Ibrahim, M., & Safdar, E. (2007). Use of compost an environment friendly technology for enhancing rice-wheat production in Pakistan. Pak. J. Bot, 39(5), 1553-1558.
-  Tahir, M., Ayub, M., Javeed, H. M. R., Naeem, M., Rehman, H., Waseem, M., & Ali, M. (2011). Effect of different organic matter on growth and yield of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Pak. J. Life Soc. Sci 9(1), 63-66.
-  Jamil, M., M. Qasim, and M. Umer (2006). Utilization of sewage sludge as organic fertilizer in sustainable agriculture. J. App. Sci. 6(3): 531-535.
-  Sharma, V. K., S. K. Thakar, S. S. Vaish, M. Shafiand A. A. Mir (2005). Effect of farm yard manure and phosphorus on growth and yield of spring wheat under cold arid region, Leh (Ladakh). Agricultural Science Digest. 25(3): 204-206.
-  Gowda, C., Biradar Patil, N. K., Patil, B. N., Awaknavar, J. S., Ninganur, B. T., & Hunje, R. (2010). Effect of organic manures on growth, seed yield and quality of wheat. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 21(3).
-  Hossain, S.M.A., A.M.A. Kamal, M. R. Islam and M. A.Mannan. 2002. Effects of different levels of chemical and organic fertilizers on growth, yield and protein content of wheat. J. Biol. Sci. 2:304-306.
-  Rehman, S., Khalil, S. K., Rehman, A., & Saljoqi, A. U. R. (2008). Organic and inorganic fertilizers increase wheat yield components and biomass under rainfed condition. Emergence, 1000, 2.
-  Ghosh, P. K., P. Ramesh, K. K. Bandyopadhyay, A. K. Tripathi, K. M. Hati, A. K. Misra, C. L. and Acharya (2004). Comparative effectiveness of cattle manure, poultry manure, phosphocompost and fertilizer-NPK on three cropping systems in vertisols of semi-arid tropics. I. Crop yields and system performance. Bioresour. Technol. 95: 77-83.
-  Matsi, T.A., S. Lithourgidis and A.A. Gagianas. 2003. Effectof injected liquid cattle manure on growth and yield of winter wheat and soil characteristics. Agron. J. 95: 592-596.
-  Bodruzzaman, M., Meisner, C. A., Sadat, M. A., & Hossain, M. I. (2010, August). Long-term effects of applied organic manures and inorganic fertilizers on yield and soil fertility in a wheat-rice cropping pattern. In Proceedings of the 19th World Congress of Soil Science, Brisbane, Australia, pp. 142-145.
-  Farhad, W., Saleem, M. F., Cheema, M. A., & Hammad, H. M. (2009). Effect of poultry manure levels on the productivity of spring maize (Zea mays L.). J. Anim. Plant Sci 19(3), 122-125.
-  Patil, V. S. and Bhilare, R. L., 2000. Effect of vermicompost prepared from different organic sources on growth and yield of wheat. J. Maharashtra Agric. Uni. 25: 305-306.
-  Boateng, S., A. J. Zickermann and M. Kornaharens (2006). Effect of poultry manure on growth and yield of maize. West Africa J. App. Eco. 9: 1-11.
Publication order reference