Effect of Growth Drivers on Cooperative Societies
Languages of publication
A cooperative society has remained a major concern especially in the developing countries like Nigeria. This study was born out of necessity to provide answers to fundamental questions raised on cooperatives societies. The objectives of this research was to ascertain the significant relationship between growth drivers and cooperative societies and to investigate significant relationship between cooperative societies and growth drivers such as interest rate, savings plan and to determine if amount borrowed has assisted to increase welfare and satisfaction of members. The primary data was gathered using structured questionnaire. The survey method was used and a cross-sectional design was adopted. The two institution chosen are the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB), and Covenant University (CU). Total population of the selected cooperative society in FUNAAB is 573 and the total population of the selected cooperative society in CU is 697. The data was analysed using statistical package for the social sciences, (SPSS). It also made use of analysis of variance (ANOVA), Simple linear regression analysis was used to test hypotheses one and correlation analysis was employed to test hypothesis two. The study indicate that interest rate of cooperative societies is a significant predictor of patronage of the cooperative, it was revealed that there exist a relationship between loan repayment periods, savings plan and the satisfaction of members of the cooperative The study recommended the need for the improvement in the performance of the cooperative societies.
- Department of Business and Entrepreneurship, Kwara State University, Malete, Nigeria
- Department of Business Administration, Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria
- Department of Accounting, Babcock University, Ogun State, Nigeria
-  Aini, Y. M., Hafizah, H. A. K., & Zuraini, Y. (2012). Factors Affecting Cooperatives’ Performance in Relation to Strategic Planning and Members’ Participation. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 65, 100-105.
-  Amini, A. M., & Ramezani, M. (2008). Investigating the Success Factors of Poultry Growers' Cooperatives in Iran's Western Provinces. World Applied Sci. J, 5, 81-87.
-  Barton, D.G. (1989). What is a Cooperative? In D. Cobia (Ed.), Co-operatives in agriculture. New Jersey USA: Prentice-Hall,
-  Bello, D. A. (2005). The Role of Cooperative Societies in Economic Development. The Nigerian Journal of Administrative Studies, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 1-12.
-  Bidin, Y. H. (2007). Positioning knowledge management as key success factor in the growth of Co-operatives in Malaysia. Asian Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 12, No. 1, 69-82
-  Bruynis, C., Goldsmith, P., Hahn, D. E., & Taylor, W. J. (2001). Key success factors for emerging agricultural marketing Co-operatives. Journal of Co-operatives, 16, 14-24.
-  Cornforth, C. (2004). The governance of Co-operatives and mutual associations: a paradox perspective. Annals of Public an Cooperative Economics, 75(1), 11-32.
-  Franken, J. R., & Cook, M. L. (2013). Impact of Board Structure and Process on Cooperative Performance. In 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, DC (No.149420). Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
-  Harun, M. Z. M. B., & Mahmood, R. B. (2012). The Relationship between Group Cohesiveness and Performance: An Empirical Study of Co-operatives Movement in Malaysia. International Journal of Cooperative Studies, 1(1), 15-20.
-  Huang, C. J. (2010). Corporate governance, corporate social responsibility and corporate Performance. Journal of Management & Organization, 16(5), 641-655.
-  Martin Lopez, V.M. and Ruiz Guerra, I. (2011). Strategic Management for the Internationalization of Cooperative Markets. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 24, 769- 780.
-  Österberg, P., & Nilsson, J. (2009). Members' perception of their participation in the governance of Co-operatives: the key to trust and commitment in agricultural Co- operatives. Agribusiness, 25(2), 181-197.
-  Othman, A., Kari, F., Jani, R., & Hamdan, R. (2012). Factors Influencing Cooperative Membership and Share Increment: An Application of the Logistic Regression Analysis in the Malaysian Co-operatives. World Review of Business Research, 2(5), 24-35.
-  Rajaratnam, S. D., Noordin, N., Said, M. S. A., Juhan, R., Hanif, F. M. (2010). Success factors of co-operatives in Malaysia: An exploratory investigation. Malaysian Journal of Co-operative Studies, 6, 1-17.
-  Rohana Othman, Roshayani Arshad, Nooraslinda Abdul Aris and Siti Maznah Mohd Arif. (2015). Organizational Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage of Cooperative Organizations in Malaysia. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 170, 120-127.
-  Sarif, S.M., & Ismail, Y. (2010). Managerial roles and the training of Malaysian Co-operatives’ Managers. Malaysian Journal of Co-operative Studies, 6, 49-62.
-  Zaridis, A.D. and Mousiolis, D.T. (2014). Entrepreneurship and SME’s Organizational Structure – Elements of a Successful Business. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 148, 463-467
Publication order reference