Effective treatment of severe hypertensive crisis in 2-year-old child with neuroblastoma
Languages of publication
We describe a case of a 2-year-old boy with neuroblastoma and high catecholamine levels which developed a severe hypertensive crisis. An oral propranolol and oral angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor were used with a mild short transient benefit. However, an intravenous labetalol and oral doxazosin used for over 3 weeks resulted in successful blood pressure control. This report highlights the prolonged use of α and β-adrenergic antagonist therapy in children with neuroblastoma with refractory catecholamine-induced hypertension.
- Webb TN, Shatat IF, Miyashita Y. Therapy of acute hypertension in hospitalized children and adolescents. Curr Hypertens Rep 2014; 16(4): 425.
- Skrzypczyk P, Roszkowska-Blaim M, Daniel M. Hypertensive crisis in children and adolescents. Pol Merkur Lekarski 2013; 35(210): 379-384.
- Baracco R, Mattoo TK. Pediatric hypertensive emergencies. Curr Hypertens Rep 2014; 16(8): 456.
- Chandar J, Zilleruelo G. Hypertensive crisis in children. Pediatr Nephrol 2012; 27(5): 741-751.
- Pankai H, Aditi S. Hypertensive emergencies in children. Indian J Pediatr 2011; 78(5): 569-575.
- Singh D, Akingbola O, Yosypiv I, El-Dahr S. Emergency management of hypertension in children. Int J Nephrol 2012; 2012: 420247.
- Thomas CA. Drug treatment of hypertensive crisis in children. Paediatr Drugs 2011; 13(5): 281-290.
- Hernandez MR, Shamberger RC, Seefelder C. Catecholamine-secreting neuroblastoma in a 4-month-old infant: perioperative management. J Clin Anesth 2009; 21(1): 54-56.
- Pappas L, Shamberger RC, Seefelder C. Giant, dopamine secreting thoracoabdominal neuroblastoma in a 2-year-old: rapid preoperative blockade with labetalol. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2010; 32(2): 163-166.
- Thomas CA, Moffett BS, Wagner JL et al. Safety and efficacy of intravenous labetalol for hypertensive crisis in infants and small children. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2011; 12(1): 28-32.
- Mazza A, Armigliato M, Marzola MC et al. Anti-hypertensive treatment in pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma: current management and therapeutic features. Endocrine 2014; 45(3): 469-478.
- Park SH, Lee YS, Min TJ et al. Anesthetic management of hypertensive crisis in a three-year-old patient with undiagnosed severe renal artery stenosis: a case report. Korean J Anesthesiol. 2014; 67(4): 275-278.
Publication order reference