Assessment of some heavy metals in the selected freshwater fish species collected from Veeranam Lake Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu, India
Languages of publication
The present study was conducted to assessment the some heavy metals, chromium, cadmium, copper, lead, iron, zinc and manganese concentrations in gill, liver, kidney, intestine and muscle of the selected freshwater fish Tilapia mossambica, Claris batrachus, Labeo rohita, Mystus vittatus and Cyprinus carpio communis of the Veeranam Lake Cuddalore district, Tamilnadu, India collected between January 2010- December 2010. Heavy metals concentrations varied in significantly depending upon the type of fish tissues and locations. In the selected freshwater fish, liver tissues appeared to have significantly highest level of chromium followed by Cd, Cu, Pb, Fe, Zn and Mn. The maximum level of chromium in liver tissue followed by the gill, kidney and intestine was found in the of Tilapia mossambica, Claris batrachus, Labeo rohita, Mystus vittatus and Cyprinus carpio communis while the minimum level of manganese was observed in the muscle tissue of Tilapia mossambica, Claris batrachus, Labeo rohita, Mystus vittatus and Cyprinus carpio communis. These levels of metals higher in the fish tissue may be due to increased fertilizers, agricultural wastes, industrial effluents and some anthropogenic activities high in the investigated area.
-  Ebrahimpour M and Mushrifah I. Variation and correlations of selected heavy metals in sediment and aquatic plants in Tasik Chini, Malaysia. Environ. Geol. 2009, 5, 823-831
-  Alam M.G, Tanaka A, Allinson G, Laurenson L.B, Stagnitti F and Snow E. A comparison of trace element concentrations in cultured and wild carp (Cyprinus carpio) of Lake Kasumigaura, Japan. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 2002; 53: 348-355
-  Abdul Aziz H, Omran A and Zakaria W.R. H2O2 Oxidation of pre-coagulated semi aerobic leachate. Int J Environ Res. 2010; 4 (2): 209-216
-  auf A and Javed M. Copper toxicity of water and plankton in the River Ravi, Pakistan. Int J Agri Biol 2007; 9: 771-774
-  Vosyliene M.Z. and Jankaite A. k: Effect of heavy metals model mixture on rainbow trout biological parameters. Ekologija. 2006: 4: 12-17
-  Van der Oost R, Beyer J and Vermeulen N.P.E. Fish bioaccumulation and biomarkers in environmental risk assessment: a review. Environ Toxicol Phar. 2003; 13: 57-149
-  Oence L, Keles Y. and Ustun A.S. Interactive effects of temperature and heavy metal stress on the growth and some biochemical compounds in wheat seedlings. Environ. Pollut 2000; 107: 315-320
-  Storelli M.M, Barone G, Storelli A and Marcotrigiano G.O. Trace metals in tissues of Mugilids (Mugil auratus, Mugil capito and Mugil labrosus) from the Mediterranean Sea. Bull Environ Contam. Toxicol 2006; 77: 43-50
-  Canli, M and Atli G. The relationships between heavy metal (Cd, Cr, Cu, Fe, Pb, and Zn) levels and the size of six Mediterranean fish species. Environ Pollut 2003; 12: 129-136
-  Iwegbue C.M.A, Nwajei G.E. and Arimoro F.O. Assessment of contamination by heavy metals in sediments of Ase River, Niger Delta, Nigeria. Res. J Environ Scien. 2007; 15, 220-228.
-  Heath A. G. Pollution and Fish Physiology. Lewis Publishers. Boca Raton, Florida, USA. 1991, 359.
-  Malik N, Biswas A.K, Qureshi T.A, Borana K. and Virha R.. Bioaccumulation of heavy metals in fish tissues of a freshwater lake of Bhopal. Environ. Monit Assess. 2010; 160: 267-267
-  Gupta A, Rai D.K, Pandey R.S and Sharma B. Analysis of some heavy metals in the riverine water, sediments and fish from river Ganges at Allahabad. Environ Monit Assess. 2009; 157: 449-458
-  Vindothini R and Narayanan M. Bioaccumulation of heavy metal in organs of fresh water fish Cyprinus carpio (common carp). In. J Environ Sc. Tech 2008; 52: 178-182
-  Day F: Today and Tomorrows book Agency New Delhi Volume II, 1978.
-  Yilmaz A.B. Levels of heavy metals (Fe, Cu, Ni, Cr, Pb and Zn) in the Mugil cephalus and Trachurus mediterraneus from Iskenderun Bay. Turkey. Environ. Res. 2003; 92, 277-281.
-  Carpene E, Gmiero B, Fedrizzi G. and Serra R. Trace metals (Zn, Cu and Cd) in fish form rearing ponds of Emilia- Romagna region (Italy). Sci. Total. Environ. 1994; 141: 139-146
-  Bendell – Young, L.I and Harvey H.H. Uptake and tissue distribution of manganese in the white sucker (Catostomus commersoni) under conditions of low pH. Hydrobiol 1986; 113: 117-125
-  Romeo M, Siau Y, Sidoumou Z and Gnassia- Barelli M. Heavy metal distribution in different fish species from the Mauritania coast. Sci Total Environ. 1999; 232: 169-175
-  Saglamtimur B, Cicik B Erde C. Effects of different concentrations of copper alone and copper ± cadmium mixtures on the accumulation of copper in the gill, liver, kidney and muscle tissues of Oreochromis niloticus (L). Turk J Vet Anim Sci 2003; 27: 813-820
-  Karadede- Akin H. and Unlu E: Heavy metals concentrations in water, sediment, fish and some benthic organisms from Tigris River. Turkey Environ Monit Assess. 2007; 131: 323-337
-  Beata Draszawka-Bołzan. Heavy Metals in Soils. World News of Natural Sciences 2 (2015) 20-37
-  Magelsir Hassan Mohamed Ihmed. Heavy metal toxicity – metabolism, absorption, distribution, excretion and mechanism of toxicity for each of the metals. World News of Natural Sciences 4 (2016) 20-32
-  K. Anbarasu, G. Anbuselvan. Physico-chemical parameter analysis of water in Musiri Taluk, Tamil Nadu, India. World News of Natural Sciences 6 (2017) 36-43
-  Sanjukta Battacharyya, Amartya Tenuv. Soil Properties Affecting Adsorption. World News of Natural Sciences 9 (2017) 19-34
-  Tomas U. Ganiron Jr. Performance of Community Water Supply Management towards Designing Water Safety Plan. World News of Natural Sciences 10 (2017) 10-25
-  Verla Andrew Wirnkor, Verla Evelyn Ngozi. Risk associated with heavy metals in children playground soils of Owerri metropolis, Imo State, Nigeria. World News of Natural Sciences 10 (2017) 49-69
-  A. Mohamed Ibraheem, S. M. Mazhar Nazeeb Khan. Assessment of Heavy Metal Concentration of Groundwater in Veppanthattai Block, Perambalur District, Tamil Nadu. World News of Natural Sciences 12 (2017) 21-26
-  Raghavendra S. Kulkarni, Sex differences in the blood biochemical parameters of the fresh water fish, Notopterus notopterus (Pallas, 1789). World News of Natural Sciences 6 (2017) 44-51
Publication order reference