Seasonal Water Mass Transformation in Sulu and Surrounding Seas
Languages of publication
This study aims to describe and reveal ocean system dynamics in Sulu and its surrounding seas. Data were used based on historical in-situ datasets which involve their physical characteristics with temperature and salinity data downloaded from the World Ocean Database (WOD). Sea surface temperature, sea surface salinity, seasonal T-S plots, and caballing coefficient were used to distinguish water-mass types. At the same time, water column stability was analyzed based on the Brunt-Vaisala Frequency (N2). The results revealed that the three areas were influenced by a seasonal variation. The Sulu Sea affected by the SCS and the Pacific Ocean, including local waters from the Philippines. The SCS waters have lower SST (28 °C) and salinity (33.4 psu) compared to other regions. During the South-East Monsoon, the thermocline layer is thicker compared to the North-West Monsoon in the Celebes Sea. Similarly, in the same area, there is a layer that is thicker than the others. There are at least five main water masses in these waters that originate from the SCS and the Pacific Ocean. There are five water-mass types found in the three regions. The most stable area is SCS with a buoyancy value of around 12 cycl/h in a 100-meter depth, and the buoyancy during SEM is more stable than NWM. Finally, WOD updated 2018 is valuable to analyze water mass dynamics, especially using temperature and salinity.
- Department of Ocean Studies, Faculty of Fishery and Marine Science, Universitas Padjadjaran, Jl. Raya Bandung-Sumedang Km. 21 West Java, Indonesia
- Department of Marine Science, Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Sciences, Universitas Riau, Jl. Binawidya Km. 12, Pekanbaru-Riau, Indonesia
-  Sprintall J Gordon A L Flament P and Villanoy C L, 2012. Observations of exchange between the South China Sea and the Sulu Sea. J. Geophys. Res. Ocean. 117, 5, 1–18
-  Apel J R Holbrook J R Liu A K and Tsai J J, 1985. The Sulu Sea Internal Soliton Experiment. Am. Meterological Soc. 15, 1625–1651
-  Pierre F.J. Lermusiaux Patrick J. Haley Jr Wayne G. Leslie Arpit Agarwal Oleg G. Logutov and Lisa J. Burton, 2011. Multiscale Physical and Biological Dynamics in the Philippine Archipelago Oceanography 24, 1, 70–90
-  Kashino Y Firing E Hacker P Sulaiman A and Lukiyanto, 2001 Currents in the Celebes and Maluku Seas, February 1999. Geophys. Res. Lett. 28, 7, 1263–1266
-  Purba N P and Pranowo W S, 2015. Dinamika oseanografi, Deskripsi Karakteristik Massa Air dan Sirkulasi Air Laut 1st ed., October Bandung: Unpad Press.
-  Latiff N A A A Reba M N M and Siswanto E, 2014. Determining temporal and spatial variabilities of biological production in sulu sea using multi-remotely sensed data. IOP Conf. Ser. Earth Environ. Sci. 18, 1
-  Purba N P Faizal I Damanik F S Rachim F R and Mulyani P G, 2020. Overview of Oceanic Eddies in Indonesia Seas Based on the Sea Surface Temperature and Sea Surface Height. World Scientific News 147, 166–178
-  Cai S He Y Wang S and Long X, 2009. Seasonal upper circulation in the Sulu Sea from satellite altimetry data and a numerical model. J. Geophys. Res. Ocean. 114, 3, 14
-  Yu Z McCreary J P Yaremchuk M and Furue R, 2008. Subsurface salinity balance in the South China Sea. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 38, 2, 527–539
-  Wyrtki K, 1961. Physical Oceanography of the Southeast Asian Waters. Naga Report Volume 2. Scientific Results of Marine Investigation of the South China Sea and the Gulf of Thailand 1959-1961. Phys. Oceanogr. Southeast Asian Waters. Naga Rep. Vol. 2. Sci. Results Mar. Investig. South China Sea Gulf Thail. 1959-1961 p. 195.
-  Gordon A L et al. 2010. The Indonesian throughflow during 2004-2006 as observed by the INSTANT program. Dyn. Atmos. Ocean. 50, 2, 115–128
-  Tozuka T Qu T Masumoto Y and Yamagata T, 2009. Impacts of the South China Sea Throughflow on seasonal and interannual variations of the Indonesian Throughflow. Dyn. Atmos. Ocean. 47, 1–3, 73–85
-  Boyer T P et al. 2018. NOAA Atlas NESDIS 87. World Ocean Database 2018.
-  Schlitzer R, 2020, Ocean Data View. [Online]. Available: https://odv.awi.de
-  Johari A and Akhir M F, 2019. Exploring Thermocline and Water Masses Variability in Southern South Cina Sea From The World Ocean Datbase (WOD). Acta Oceanol. Sin. 38, 1 p. 38–47.
-  IOC SCOR and IAPSO, 2010. The international thermodynamic equation of seawater – 2010: Calculation and use of thermodynamic properties Intergov. Oceanogr. Comm. Manuals Guid. No. 56 June p. 196.
-  Daryabor F Ooi S H Samah A A and Akbari A, 2016. Dynamics of the water circulations in the Southern South China Sea and its seasonal transports. PLoS One 11, 7, 1–20
-  Purba N P Kelvin J Widiarti R and Syadiah N, 2014. Inner Water Characteristics of Anambas Island, Riau Province-Indonesia. Int. J. Sci. Res. 3, 6, 889–893
-  Tessler Z D Gordon A L Pratt L J and Sprintall J, 2010. Transport and dynamics of the Panay sill overflow in the Philippine seas. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 40, 12, 2679–2695
-  Gordon A L Susanto R D Ffield A Huber B A Pranowo W and Wirasantosa S, 2008. Makassar Strait throughflow, 2004 to 2006. Geophys. Res. Lett. 35, 24, 3–7
-  Devantier L Surveys F and Turak E, 2016. DeVantier , L . M ., Alcala , A ., Wilkinson , C . R . (2004). The Sulu-Sulawesi Sea: Review of environmental and socio-economic status , future prognosis and ameliorative policy options. Ambi ... Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences 01, January 2004.
-  Li L and Gan Z, 2014. Ventilation of the Sulu Sea retrieved from historical data Acta Oceanol. Sin. 33, 9, 1–11
-  Talley L D and Yun J Y, 2001. The role of cabbeling and double diffusion in setting the density of the North Pacific Intermediate Water salinity minimum. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 31, 6, 1538–1549
-  Kasajima Y and Johannessen T, 2008. Role of cabbeling in water densification in the Greenland Basin. Ocean Sci. Discuss. 5, 3, 507–543
-  Qu T Song Y T and Yamagata T, 2009. An introduction to the South China Sea throughflow: Its dynamics, variability, and application for climate. Dyn. Atmos. Ocean. 47, 1–3, 3–14
-  Han W et al., 2009. Seasonal surface ocean circulation and dynamics in the Philippine Archipelago region during 2004-2008. Dyn. Atmos. Ocean. 47, 1–3, 114–137
-  Koch-Larrouy, A., Madec, G., Blanke, B. et al. Water mass transformation along the Indonesian throughflow in an OGCM. Ocean Dynamics 58, 289–309 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10236-008-0155-4
-  Noir P. Purba, Yudi N. Ihsan, Ibnu Faizal, Dannisa I. W. Handyman, Kattia S. Widiastuti, Putri G. Mulyani, Mikhael F. Tefa, M. Hilmi, 2018. Distribution of Macro Debris in Savu Sea Marine National Park (Kupang, Rote, and Ndana Beaches), East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. World News of Natural Sciences 21, 64-76
Publication order reference