Temperature dependent electrical characteristics of Nichrome/4H-SiC Schottky barrier diodes
Languages of publication
Nichrome Schottky barrier diodes have been fabricated on 4H-SiC substrates to investigate the temperature dependant electrical characteristics of the fabricated contacts. The electrical parameters such as barrier height, ideality factor and donor concentration were found from the current-voltage (I-V) and the capacitance-voltage (C-V) measurements at room temperature. Barrier Contacts showed non-ideal behaviour like lower value of barrier height and high value of ideality factor. A barrier height of 1.53eV obtained from C-V measurements and 0.79eV obtained from the I-V measurements with ideality factor of 1.96 for as-deposited diodes at room temperature. The diodes, therefore, were annealed in the temperature range from 25-400 ºC to see the effect of annealing temperature on these parameters. Schottky barrier height (SBH) and ideality factors were found temperature dependent. After rapid thermal annealing (RTA) upto 400 ºC barrier height of 1.27 eV from C-V measurements and the value of 1.13 eV were obtained from I-V measurements with ideality factor of 1.12. Since barrier height deduced from C-V measurements were consistently larger than those from I-V measurements. To remove this discrepancy we re-examined our results by including the effect of ideality factor in the expression of the saturation current. The insertion of ideality factor results in comparably good agreement between the values of barrier height derived by above two methods. We believe that the enhancement in the electrical parameters result from the improvement in the quality of interfacial layer.
-  SiC material science homepage, http://www.ifm.liu.se/matephys/new_page/research/sic/
-  Stephen E. Saddow and Anant Agarwal, Advances in Silicon Carbide Processing and Applications, Artech House, Inc. 2004.
-  Tesfaye Ayalew, SiC semiconductor devices Technology, Modelling and Simulation, Dissertation of PhD, Technical University Wien, 2004.
-  J.R. Waldrop, R.W. Grant, Schottky barrier height and interface chemistry of annealed metal contacts to alpha-6H-SiC-crystal-face dependence, Appl. Phys. Lett. 62 (1993) 2685.
-  A. Itoh, H. Matsunami, Analysis of Schottky Barrier Heights of Metal/SiC contacts and Its Possible Application to High-Voltage Rectifying Devices, Physica Status Solidi A - Applied Research 162 (1997) 389-408.
-  V.Saxena, J.N. Su, A.J. Steckl, High-voltage Ni- and Pt-SiC Schottky diodes utilizing metal fieldplate termination, IEEE transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 46, No.3, (1999) 456-464.
-  C. Raynaud, K. Isoird, M. Lazar, C.M. Johnson, N. Wright, Barrier height determination of SiC Schottky diodes by capacitance and current voltage measurements, J. Appl. Phys. 91 (2002) 9841-9847.
-  M.O. Aboelfotoh, C. Fröjdh, C.S. Petersson, Schottky barrier behaviour of metals on n-and p-typr 6H-SiC, Phys. Rev. B, 67 (2003) 075312.
-  F. Roccaforte, F. La Via, A. Baeri, F. Roccaforte, V. Raineri, L. Calcagno, F. Mangano, Structural and electrical properties of Ni/Ti Schottky contacts on silicon carbide upon thermal annealing, J. Appl. Phys., 96 (2004) 4313-4318.
-  S. Duman, S. Dogan, B. Gürbulak, A. Turut, The barrier height inhomogeneity in identically prepared Ni/n-type 6H-SiC Schottky diodes, Appl. Phys. A: Mater. Sci. Process. 91 (2008) 337-340.
-  D. Defives, O. Noblanc, C. Dua, C. Brylinski, M. Barhula, V. Aubry-Fortuna, and F. Meyer, Electrical characterization of inhomogeneous Ti/4H-SiC Schottky contacts, IEEE Transaction on Electron Devices 46, 449 (1999).
-  B. J. Skromme, E. Luckowski, K. Moore, M. Bhatnagar,C. E. Weitzel, T. Gehoski, and D. GanserElectrical Characteritics of Schottky barriers on 4H-SiC: The effects of barrier height non-uniformity, J. Electron. Mater. 29, 3, (2000), 376-383.
-  Roccaforte F, La Via F, Raineri V, Pierobon R and Zanoni, Richardson's constant in inhomogeneous silicon carbide Schottky contacts, J. Appl. Phys. 93, (2003), 9137-9144.
-  R. Perez, N. Mestres, D. Tournier, P. Godignon, J. Millan, Ni/Ti ohmic and Schottky contacts on 4H-SiC formed with a single thermal treatment, Diamond and Related Materials 14, (2005), 1146-1149.
-  D.J. Ewing, Q. Wahab, R.R. Ciechonski, M. Syvajarvi, R. Yakimova, L.M. Porter, Inhomogeneous electrical characteristics in 4H-SiC Schottky diodes, Semicond. Sci. Technol. 22 (2007) 1287.
-  A Ferhat Hamida, Z Ouennoughi, A Sellai, R Weiss and H Ryssel, Barrier inhomogeneities of tungsten Schottky diodes on 4H-SiC, Semicond. Sci. Technol. 23, (2008), 1-6.
-  Juyeon Keum, Moonkyong Na, In Ho Kang, Wook Bahng and Bonheun Koo, Electrical and Material Properties Analysis of 5kV 4H-SiC Schottky Barrier Diodes, ECS Meeting Abstract, MA (2018)-01, 1439.
-  T.P. Chow, V. Khemka, J. Fedison, N. Ramungul, K. Matocha, Y. Tang, R.J. Gutmann, SiC and GaN bipolar power devices, Solid State Electron 44, (2000), 277-301.
-  P. A. Ivanov, A. S. Potapov, and T. P. Samsonova, (2009), Analysis of Forward Current Voltage Characteristics of Non-ideal Ti/4H-SiC Schottky Barriers, Semiconductors, Vol. 43, No. 2, 185–188.
-  E.D. Luckowski, J.M. Delucca. J. R. Williams, S.E. Mohney, M.J. Bozack, T. Isaacs-Smith and J. Crofton, Improved Ohmic Contact to n-Type 4H and 6H-SiC Using Nichrome. Journal of Electronic Materials, 27, (1998), 330-334.
-  S.K. Cheung, N.M. Cheung, Extraction of Schottky diode parameters from current–voltage characteristics, Appl. Phys. Lett. 49 (1986) 85–87.
-  A.Itoh, T. Kimoto and H. Matsunami, High performance of high-voltage 4H-SiC Schottky barrier diodes. IEEE Electron Device Lett. 16, (1995), 280-282.
-  A.M. Goodman, Metal-Semiconductor Barrier Height Measurement by the Differential Capacitance Method-One Carrier System, J. Appl. Phys. 34, (1963), 329-338.
-  M.S. Tyagi, Electrical Properties of Metal-GaAs Schottky Barriers, Surface Science, 64, (1977), 323-333.
-  R.T. Tung, Electron transport at metal-semiconductor interfaces: General theory, Phys. Rev. B. 45, 13509 (1992).
-  J.P. Sullivan, R.T. Tung, M.R. Pinto, W.R. Graham, Electron transport of inhomogeneous Schottky barriers: A numerical study. J. Appl. Phys. 70, 7403 (1991).
-  Messaadi Lotfi, Dibi Zohir, Macromodeling with Spice of SiC Schottky Diode, J. Electron Devices, 15, 1209-1213, (2012).
Publication order reference