Assessment of Water Footprint in Paper & Pulp Industry & its Impact on Sustainability
Languages of publication
Unsustainable utilization of water assets conveys challenges these days identified with the generation periods of water devouring products, for example, pulp & paper. This industry is portrayed by noteworthy water utilization at every procedure venture of creation. This study concentrates on the water footprint appraisal of paper and pulp generation at a medium measured paper and pulp industry in Uttar Pradesh, India. Here, the evaluation depended on the creation chain outline. A framework limit was proposed to evaluate the water footprint at different procedure stages from the source to the last item and additionally the natural contacts with extraordinary spotlight on maintainability. Through this study water footprint accounting has been done and the outcomes were utilized to break down the supportability as far as, Blue water footprint, Grey water footprint and Green water impression for Kraft & White paper. Also, recommendations for reasonable practices have been touched upon.
-  Aldaya, M. M., Martínez-Santos, P. & Llamas, M. R. 2010. Incorporating the water footprint and virtual water into policy: Reflections from the Mancha Occidental Region, Spain. Water Resources Management, 24, 941-958.
-  Berger, M. & Finkbeiner, M. 2010. Water footprinting: How to address water use in life cycle assessment? Sustainability, 2, 919-944.
-  Chapagain, A. K., Hoekstra, A., Savenije, H. & Gautam, R. 2006. The water footprint of cotton consumption: An assessment of the impact of worldwide consumption of cotton products on the water resources in the cotton producing countries. Ecological economics, 60, 186-203.
-  Chapagain, A. K. & Hoekstra, A. Y. 2008. The global component of freshwater demand and supply: an assessment of virtual water flows between nations as a result of trade in agricultural and industrial products. Water international, 33, 19-32.
-  Chooyok, P., Pumijumnog, N. & UssawarujikulchaI, A. 2013. The water footprint assessment of ethanol production from molasses in Kanchanaburi and Supanburi province of Thailand. APCBEE Procedia, 5, 283-287.
-  Clothier, B. Green, blue and grey waters: Minimising the footprint using soil physics. 19th World Congress of Soil Science, Soil Solutions for a Changing World, 2010. 1-6.
-  Ene, S. A., Teodosiu, C., Robu, B. & Volf, I. 2013. Water footprint assessment in the winemaking industry: a case study for a Romanian medium size production plant. Journal of Cleaner Production, 43, 122-135.
-  Ercin, A. E., Aldaya, M. M. & Hoekstra, A. Y. 2011. Corporate water footprint accounting and impact assessment: the case of the water footprint of a sugar-containing carbonated beverage. Water Resources Management, 25, 721-741.
-  Gu, Y., Xu, J., Keller, A. A., Yuan, D., LI, Y., Zhang, B., Weng, Q., Zhang, X., Deng, P. & Wang, H. 2015. Calculation of water footprint of the iron and steel industry: a case study in Eastern China. Journal of Cleaner Production, 92, 274-281.
-  Hajkowicz, S. & Higgins, A. 2008. A comparison of multiple criteria analysis techniques for water resource management. European journal of operational research, 184, 255-265.
-  Jefferies, D., Muñoz, I., Hodges, J., King, V. J., Aldaya, M., Ercin, A. E., I Canals, L. M. & Hoekstra, A. Y. 2012. Water footprint and life cycle assessment as approaches to assess potential impacts of products on water consumption. Key learning points from pilot studies on tea and margarine. Journal of Cleaner Production, 33, 155-166.
-  Manzardo, A., Ren, J., Piantella, A., Mazzi, A., Fedele, A. & Scipioni, A. 2014. Integration of water footprint accounting and costs for optimal chemical pulp supply mix in paper industry. Journal of Cleaner Production, 72, 167-173.
-  Mcdevitt, J. E., Love, S. R., Seadon, J. K. & Allison, R. W. 2012. An evaluation of alternative water footprint methodologies using an indicative tissue paper supply chain. Appita Journal, 65, 159.
-  Mekonnen, M. & Hoekstra, A. 2012. The blue water footprint of electricity from hydropower. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 16, 179-187.
-  Morera, S., Corominas, L., Poch, M., Aldaya, M. & Comas, J. 2016. Water footprint assessment in wastewater treatment plants. Journal of Cleaner Production, 112, 4741-4748.
-  Ridoutt, B. G. & Pfister, S. 2010. A revised approach to water footprinting to make transparent the impacts of consumption and production on global freshwater scarcity. Global Environmental Change, 20, 113-120.
-  Ridoutt, B. G. & Pfister, S. 2013. A new water footprint calculation method integrating consumptive and degradative water use into a single stand-alone weighted indicator. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 18, 204-207.
-  Spiess, W. 2014. Virtual Water and Water Footprint of Food Production and Processing. Encyclopedia of Agriculture and Food Systems, 333-355.
-  Thompson, G., Swain, J., Kay, M. & Forster, C. 2001. The treatment of pulp and paper mill effluent: a review. Bioresource technology, 77, 275-286.
-  Wang, Y., Liu, J., Hansson, L., Zhang, K. & Wang, R. 2011. Implementing stricter environmental regulation to enhance eco-efficiency and sustainability: a case study of Shandong Province’s pulp and paper industry, China. Journal of Cleaner Production, 19, 303-310.
-  Zhang, G., Hoekstra, A. & Mathews, R. 2013. Water Footprint Assessment (WFA) for better water governance and sustainable development, editorial. Water resources and industry, 1, 1-6.
Publication order reference