Plant extract as biodegradable inhibitor for zinc in dilute solution of sulphuric acid
Languages of publication
The inhibitive action of the ethanol extract of oil from Picralima nitida leaf, towards acid corrosion of zinc, is tested using weight loss, and thermometry methods. It was found that the extract acted as a good corrosion inhibitor for zinc corrosion in 0.5 M H2SO4 solution. The inhibitive action of the extract was discussed in view of Langmuir adsorption isotherm. It was revealed that the adsorption of the extract on zinc surface is governed by spontaneous process. The inhibition efficiency (IE) increases in line with corresponding increase in extract concentration. The temperature effect of the corrosion inhibition on the IE was studied. Revelation from the studies indicates that the presence of extract increases the activation energy of the corrosion reaction. Furthermore, from the calculated thermodynamic parameters, it was observed that Picralima nitida extract provides a good protection to zinc against pitting corrosion in chloride ion containing solutions.
-  Abdel Rehim, S.S., Omar, A.H., Amin A.M., & Khaled, F.K. (2008). The corrosion inhibition of low carbon steel in concentrated sulphuric acid solutions. Part1: Chemical and electrochemical (AC & DC) studies. Corrosion Science, 50, 2258-2271
-  Abdel-Rehim, S.S., Khaled, K.F. & Al-Mobarak N.A. (2011). Corrosion Inhibition of Iron in Hydrochloric acid using pyrazole. Arabian Journal of Chemistry 4, 333-337.
-  Akalezi, C.O., Oguzie, E.E., Ogukwe, C.E. & Ejele, A.E. (2015). Rothmannia Longiflora extract as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acidic media. Int. J. Ind. Chem. 6, 273-284.
-  Al-Otaibi, M.S., Al-Mayouf, A.M., Khan, M. & Mousa, A.A. (2014). Corrosion Inhibitory action of some plant extracts on the corrosion of mild steel in acidic media. Arabian Journal of Chemistry 7, 340-346.
-  Ameer, M.A., & Fekry A.M., (2011). Corrosion Inhibition of mild steel by natural product compound. Progress in Organic Coating, 71, 343-349,
-  Aprael, S.Y., Anees A.K. & Rafal K.W (2013). Apricot juice as green corrosion inhibitor of mild steel in phosphoric acid. Alexandria Engineering Journal 52, 129-135.
-  Ating, E.I., Umoren S.A., Udousoro, I.I., Ebenso, E.E. & Udoh, A.P. (2010). Leaves extract of Ananas Sativum as green corrosion inhibitor for aluminium in hydrochloric acid solutions. Green Chemistry Letters & Reviews 3, 61-68.
-  Ayati, N.S., Khandandel, S., Momeni M., Moayed, M.H., Davoodi, A. & Rahimizadeh M. (2011). Inhibitive effect of synthesized 2-(3-pyridyl)-3,4-dihydro-4-quinazolinone as a corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in hydrochloric acid. Material Scence & Physics 126, 873-879.
-  El-Etre, A.Y. (2003). Inhibition of Aluminium corrosion using Opuntia extract. Corrosion Science 45, 2485-2495.
-  Fouda, A.S., Shalabi, K. & Idress., A.A (2015). Ceratonia siliqua extract as a green corrosion inhibitor for copper and brass in nitric acid solutions. Green Chemistry Letters & Reviews, 8, 3-4, 17-29.
-  Gerengi, H., Katarzyna, S & Sahin, H.I. Corrosion-inhibiting effects of Mimosa extract on brass-MM55 corrosion in 0.5 M H2SO4 acidic media. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Volume 18, Issue 6, 25 November 2012, Pages 2204-2210
-  Ihebrodike, M.M., Nwandu, M.C., Okeoma, K.B., Nnanna, L.A., Chidiebere, M.A., Eze, F.C & Emeka. (2012). Experimental & theoretical assessment of the inhibiting action of Aspilia Africana extract on corrosion of aluminium alloy AA3003 in hydrochloric acid. J. Materials Science 47, 2559-2572.
-  Khaled, K.F. (2008). Adsorption and inhibitive properties of a new synthesized guanidine derivative on corrosion of copper in 0.5M H2SO4 . Applied Surface Science, 255, 1811-1818,
-  Khaled, K.F. (2010). Corosion control of copper in nitric acid solutions using some amino acids – A combined experimental and theoretical study. Corrosion Science, 52, 3225-3234,
-  Khaled, K.F. (2010). Studies of Iron corrosion Inhibition using Chemical, electrochemical & computer simulation techniques. Electrochimica Acta, 55, 6523-6532,
-  Matjaz, F. & Jennifer J. (2014). Application of Corrosion Inhibitors for steels in acidic media for the oil and gas industry: A review. Corrosion Science 86, 17-41.
-  Migahed, M.A., Abdul-Raheim, Atta, A.M. & Brostow W. (2010). Synthesis & evaluation of a new water soluble corrosion inhibitor from recycled poly(ethylene terphethalate). Material Chemistry and Physics, 121, 208-214.
-  Murthy, Z.V.P. & Vijayaragavan, K. (2014). Mild steel corrosion inhibition by acid extract of leaves of Hibiscus Sabdariffa as a green corrosion inhibitor and sorption behavior. Green Chemistry Letters & Reviews 7, 209-219,
-  Narayana, H., Praveen, B.M., Prasanna, B.M., Venkatesha T.V., & Abd Hamid, S.B. (2014). Anthranilic Acid as corrosion Inhibitor for mild steel in Hydrochloric Acid. Media. Procedia Material Science, 5, 712-718.
-  Nnabuko, O.E., Momoh-Yaya, H.& Oguzie, E.E (2015). Theoretical & experimental studies on the corrosion inhibition potentials of some Purines for aluminium in 0.1 M HCl. Journal of Advance Research 6, 203-217.
-  Oguzie, E.E. (2008) Evaluation of the Inhibitive effect of some plant extracts on the acid corrosion of mild steel. Corrosion Science 50, 2993-2998,
-  Oguzie, E.E., Iheabunike, Z.O., Oguzie, K.L., Ogukwe, C.E., Chidiebere, M.A., Enenebeaku, C.K. & Akalezi C.O. (2013). Corrosion Inhibiting effect of Aframomum melegueta Extracts & Adsorption Characteristics of the active Constituents on Mild Steel in Acidic Media. Journal of Dispersion Science & Technology 34, 516-527.
-  Patchaiah, K., Subbiah C., Seeni P. & Gopalan S. (2010). Artemisia pallens as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in HCL medium. Materials Chemistry & Physics 120, 643-648.
-  Quartarone, G., Ronchin, L., Vavasori A., Tortato, C. & Bonaldo L. (2012). Inhibitive action of gramine towards corrosion of mild steel in deaerated 1.0M hydrochloric acid solutions. Corrosion Science 64, 82-89.
-  T. O. Magu, V. M. Bassey, B. E. Nyong, O. E. Obono, N. A. Nzeata-Ibe, O. U. Akakuru. Inhibition studies of Spondias mombin L. in 0.1 HCl solution on mild steel and verification of a new temperature coefficient of inhibition efficiency equation for adsorption mechanism elucidation. World News of Natural Sciences 8 (2017) 15-26
-  M. E. Ikpi, F. E. Abeng, O. E. Obono. Adsorption and Thermodynamic Studies for Corrosion Inhibition of API 5L X-52 Steel in 2 M HCl Solution by Moxifloxacin. World News of Natural Sciences 9 (2017) 52-61
-  M. E. Ikpi, F. E. Abeng, B. O. Okonkwo. Experimental and computational study of levofloxacin as corrosion inhibitor for carbon steel in acidic media. World News of Natural Sciences 9 (2017) 79-90
-  F. E. Abeng, V. D. Idim, P. J. Nna. Kinetics and Thermodynamic Studies of Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel Using Methanolic Extract of Erigeron floribundus (Kunth) in 2 M HCl Solution. World News of Natural Sciences 10 (2017) 26-38
-  H. Louis, J. Japari, A. Sadia, M. Philip, A. Bamanga. Photochemical screening and corrosion inhibition of Poupartia birrea back extracts as a potential green inhibitor for mild steel in 0.5 M H2SO4 medium. World News of Natural Sciences 10 (2017) 95-100
-  B. Adindu Chinonso, E. Oguzie Emeka. Investigating the extract constituents and corrosion inhibiting ability of Sida acuta leaves. World News of Natural Sciences 13 (2017) 63-81
-  Maduabuchi A. Chidiebere, Simeon Nwanonenyi, Demian Njoku, Nkem B. Iroha, Emeka E. Oguzie, Ying Li, Experimental study on the inhibitive effect of phytic acid as a corrosion inhibitor for Q235 mild steel in 1 M HCl environment. World News of Natural Sciences 15 (2017) 1-19
-  J. N. O. Ezeugo, O. D. Onukwuli, M. Omotioma, Optimization of corrosion inhibition of Picralima nitida leaves extract as green corrosion inhibitor for zinc in 1.0 M HCl. World News of Natural Sciences 15 (2017) 139-161
Publication order reference