The Relationship Between Time Perspective and Career Decision-Making Self-Efficacy and Its Impact on Academic Achievement
Languages of publication
According to the importance of education in the life of each person and that each school or university student faces career decision-making during education and also considering the importance of time perspective in decision-making self-efficacy and academic achievement, the present research was done to examine the relationship between time perspective and career decision self-efficacy and its influence on the academic achievement in students of Isfahan University. This study was a descriptive-correlative one and the research population consisted of students of Isfahan University. A sample of 184 subjects was selected using cluster sampling method. To collect data, participants completed Zimbardo Time Perspective Inventory (ZTPI) and Taylor and Betz Career Decision-making Self-efficacy Inventory. Academic Achievement was measured through previous semester GPA. The data were analyzed using SPSS software, version 18, by results of correlation and regression analysis. The results indicated that the dimensions of time perspective have significant relationships with self-efficacy and career decision-making and predict them. In addition, there was not a significant relationship between career decision-making self-efficacy and academic achievement.
- Vocational Counseling, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Science, Allameh Tabatabaee University, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
- Counseling Department, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Science, Isfahan University, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
- Faculty of Educational Sciences, University of Gom, Iran
- Alzahra University, Women Research Center, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
-  A’rabian, A.; Khodapanahi, A.; Heidari, M.;and Sedghpour, B. Examining the relationship between self-efficacy beliefs and mental health and academic achievement. Journal of Psychology 32 (2004) 360-371.
-  M. Taji, A. Mokri, and A. Fotohio, Decreasing the delayed value and its correlation with time perspective in Medical Interns. Journal of Clinical Psychology and Psychiatric of Iran 84 (2010) 327-334.
-  F. Samiei, A. Baghban, M. Abedi, and S. Hosseinian, Theories of counseling in career path (The path of evolution of career choice). (2012). Isfahan: Agricultural-Jihad Publications.
-  D. Schultz, and S. Schultz, Theories of personality (Translated by Yahya Seyed-Mohammadi). Tehran: Virayesh publication, 2008.
-  J. Karimi, The effectiveness of career decision-making skills training on career decision-making self-efficacy and career indecision in Isfahan University students. Master’s Thesis in Job counseling. Isfahan University, 2008.
-  H. Mos’haf, The study of the effects of job counseling in the style of social theory and Crombolts’ job selection on attitude change and increase of entrepreneurial behavior in students of Isfahan University. Master’s Thesis in Job counseling. Isfahan University (2005).
-  N.E. Betz, Self-efficacy theory as a basic for career assessment. Journal of Career Assessment 8 (2000) 205-222.
-  B. Choi, H. Park, E. Yang, S. Lee, & Y. Lee, Understanding self-efficacy career decision: A meta-analytic approach. Journal of Career Development 17 (2011) 220-239.
-  G. Hackett, & NE. Betz, Self-efficacy approach to the career development of woman. Journal of Vocational Behavior 18 (1981) 320-339.
-  Haghighatgoo, M.; Besharat, M.A. & Zebardast, A. The relationship between hardiness and time perspective in students. Journal of Social and Behavior Sciences 30 (2011) 925-928.
-  R.W. Lent, & S.D. Brown, on conceptualizing and assessing social cognitive constructs in career research: A measurement guide. Journal of Career Assessment 14 (2006) 12-35.
-  Z.R. Mello, & F.C. Worrell, The relationship of time perspective to ago. Gender and academic achievement among academically talented adolescents. Journal for the Education of the Gifted 29 (2006) 271-289.
-  A. Presti, F. Pace, M. Monda, P. Nota Casarubia, L. Ferrari, & N.E. Betz, An examination of the structure of the career decision self-efficacy scale (short form) among Italian high school students. Journal of Career Assessment 21 (2013) 337-347.
-  B.J. Taber, Time perspective and career decision -making difficulties in adults. Journal of Career Assessment (2012) 1-10.
-  T.L. Walker, & T.J.G. Tracey, The role of future time perspective in career decision-making. Journal of Vocational Behavior 81 (2012) 150-158.
-  A. Zajacova, S.M. Lynch, & T.S. Espenshadet, Self-efficacy, stress and academic achievement in collage. Journal of Research in Higher Education 46 (2005) 170-179.
-  A. Zebardast, MA. Besharat, & M. Haghighatgoo, The relationship between self-efficacy and time perspective in students. Journal of Social and Behavior Sciences 30 (2011) 935-938.
-  P.G. Zimbardo, J.N. Boyd, Putting time in perspective: A valid reliable individual-difference metric. Journal of Personality and Psychology Social 77 (1999) 1271-1288.
-  P.G. Zimbardo, J.N. Boyd, The time paradox: The new psychology of time that will change your life. New York: Free Press, 2008.
Publication order reference