Removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution by adsorption onto activated carbon prepared from animal bone and corncob – an agricultural waste
Languages of publication
Synthetic dyes are widely used in the rubber, textiles, plastics, paper and cosmetics industries to color their products. The effectiveness of adsorption for dye removal from wastewater has made it an ideal alternative to other expensive treatment methods. This study investigates the physicochemical properties of animal-bone- (AB) and corncob- (CC) derived activated carbon on the removal of methylene blue dye. The effects of condition variables such as initial dye concentration, adsorbent dose, pH and contact time were studied. The results show that animal-bone-derived activated carbon has better potential for dye removal than does the corn cob-derived equivalent. AB revealed a higher adsorption capacity of intensity (2.40) and is of higher surface area - 500 m2g–1, while CC has adsorptive capacity of 1.25, intensity of 2.80 and surface area of 420 m2/g–1. What is more, the removal efficiency increases as adsorbent dose increases. This makes it an interesting option for dye removal from aqueous solutions of dye.
-  Goddon McKay. Basic dye adsorption on activated carbon, water, air, and soil pollution. J. App. Sci. Env. Sci. 12 (1979) 307 – 317
-  S.S. Azhar, Liew A.G., Suhardy, D., Hafiz, K.F., and Hafim M.D.I. Dye removal from aqueous solution by using adsorption on treated sugarcane bagasse, AM Applied Sci 2, 111 (2005) 499–1503.
-  M.M. Abd El – Lati F.I., Amal, M. Ibrahim2, M.F., EL – Kadyl, Adsorption Equilibrium, Kinetics and Thermodynamic of methylene blue from aqueous solutions using biopolymer oak saw dust composite. Journal of American Science. 6 (2010) 267–283.
-  A. Kan delbauer, Bioremediation for the Decolorization of Textile Dyes – A Review, world. Journal of Microbial Biotechnology, 37 (2006) 474, 2011.
-  R. Somasekhara, M.C. Removal of direct dye from aqueous solutions with an adsorbent made from tarrarind fruit shell, an agricultural solid water. J ScI. Ind. Res 65 (2006) 443–444.
-  M. Sujatha, A. Geetha, P. Sivakumar, and P.N. Palanisamy. Orthophosphoric Acid activated Babul seed Cotton as an Adsorbent for the Removal of Methylene Blue, EJ Chem. 5 4 (2008) 742–753.
-  T. Robinson, Chandran B, Sathya Naidu G and Nigam P. Studies on the removal of dyes from a synthetic textile effluent using barley hust in static – batch mode and in a continous flow, packed – bed reactor. Biores Technol 85 (2002) 43–49.
-  Gang, Sun and Xu. Xiangjing. Sunflower Stalks as adsorbents for color removal from textile wastewater. Ind Eng Chem Res 6 (1997) 808–812.
-  S. Thirumalisamys, and Subbaian, M. Removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution by activated carbon prepared from the peel of cucumis sativa fruit by adsorption. Bioresources 5 (2010) 419–437.
-  N. Kanan, Meenakshisun daram M and Johnson R. Removal of Azure A from Aqueous solution by CAC and New Activated carbon from orange peel and lemon peel. EJEAFche 8 (2009) 574–583.
-  U.V. Ladhe, S.K. Wankhede, V.T. Patil and P.R. Patil. Adsorption of Erichrome black I from aqueous solutions on activated carbon prepared from mosambi peel, J. Appli Sci. Env. San. 6 (2011) 149–154.
-  U.V. Ladhe, S.K. Wankhede, V.T. Patil and P.R. Patil. Removal of Erichrome Black I from synthetic waste water by cotton waste. E.J. chem.., 8 (2011) 803 – 808.
-  U.V. Ladhe, S.K. Wankhede, V.T. Patil and P.R. Patil. Removal of Erichrome Black I from synthetic waste water by activated Nilgiril leaves. J. Chem and Pharm. Res. 3 (2011) 760–675.
-  G. Dursun and Ozer. Removal of Methylene Blue from Aqueous solution by dehydrated wheat brain carbon. Journal of Hazardous Materials 146 (2007) 262–269.
-  F.A. Pavan, A.C. Mazzocato, Y. Gushikem. Removal of Methylene Blue dye from aqueous solutions by adsorption using yellow passion fruit peel as adsorbent, Bioresources Technology 99 (2008) 3162–3165.
-  S.D. Rhattri and Singh M.K. Colour removal from synthetic dye wastewater, using a bioadsorbent water, Air and soil pollution. 120 (2000) 283–294.
-  H. Mas Rosemal. Mas Haris and Kathiresan Sathasivam. The removal of methyl red from aqueous solutions using banana pseudostem fibers, Am J Applied Sci 6 (2009) 1690–1700.
-  Joseph N.O. Ezeugo. Development of Adsorbents from local Raw Materials, M. Eng Thesis. (2012) 23-31
-  C. Namasivayam, Radhika, R., Suba, S. Waste Manage. 21 (2001) 381.
-  McKay, G.J. Chem, Tech. Biotechnol. 32 (1982) 759.
-  Arient, J. Prehled Barvivi, SNTL Prague 12 (1968) 24-69
-  Agboinghale, F and Ugbesia, O.S. Adsorption of lead and nickel ion on orange peels. J. Chem Soc. Nigeria 12 (2005) 54–55.
Publication order reference