Effects of Two 12-week Strengthening Programmes on Functional Mobility, Strength and Balance of Older Adults: Comparison between TRX Suspension Training versus an Elastic Band Resistance Training
Languages of publication
No study has compared sling exercise training with elastic band resistance training in healthy older adults. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to determine whether different effects on functional mobility, strength and balance ability were produced by using different devices (sling trainer and elastic bands). Twenty-four participants were assigned to two different training groups, INT (TRX-OldAge) and CON (elastic bands). Participants trained three times per week for 30 minutes for 12 weeks. The Multisurface Obstacle Test for Older Adults (MSOT) and the 1-repetition maximum test using the chest press and the leg press were performed to assess functional mobility and dynamic strength, respectively. To examine balance ability, data of body-worn sensors and a force plate measured during different standing positions have been investigated. A main time effect occurred for functional mobility (p = 0.009) with a significant improvement within INT (p = 0.044), and for the chest press (p = 0.017) with a significant improvement within INT (p = 0.019). However, there was no group-by-time interaction in any of the measured parameters. Compared to elastic band resistance training, TRX-OldAge induced similar effects on the functional mobility, strength and balance ability of healthy older adults.
- Ainsworth, B.E., Haskell, W.L., Whitt, M.C., Irwin, M.L., Swartz, A.M., Strath, S.J., Leon, A.S. (2000). Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 32 (9 Suppl), 498–504. DOI: 10.1097/00005768-200009001-00009.
- Bae, C.H., Jung, Y.W., Lee, D.W., Cho, S.H. (2014). The effect of sling exercise on muscular strength and range of motion in female patients who received total knee replacement. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 15 (7), 4395–4403. DOI: 10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4395.
- Barnett, A., Smith, B., Lord, S.R., Williams, M., Baumand, A. (2003). Community-based group exercise improves balance and reduces falls in at-risk older people: a randomised controlled trial. Age and Ageing, 32 (4), 407–414. DOI: 10.1093/ageing/32.4.407.
- Choi, Y.R., Kim, J.W., Hwang, B.J. (2011). The effect of lumbar muscle strengthening exercise types on balance and walking ability of elderly. Journal of International Academy of Physical Therapy Research, 2 (2), 267–343. DOI: 10.5854/JIAPTR.2011.2.2.329.
- Clemson, L., Fiatarone Singh, M.A., Bundy, A., Cumming, R.G., Manollaras, K., O’Loughlin, P., Black, D. (2012). Integration of balance and strength training into daily life activity to reduce rate of falls in older people (the LiFE study): randomised parallel trial. BMJ (Clinical research ed.), 345, e4547. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.e4547.
- Dannelly, B.D., Otey, S.C., Croy, T., Harrison, B., Rynders, C.A., Hertel, J.N., Weltman, A. (2011). The effectiveness of traditional and sling exercise strength training in women. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 25 (2), 464–471. DOI: 10.1519/ JSC.0b013e318202e473.
- Fahlman, M.M., McNevin, N., Boardley, D., Morgan, A., Topp, R. (2011). Effects of resistance training on functional ability in elderly individuals. American Journal of Health Promotion, 25 (4), 237–243. DOI: 10.4278/ajhp.081125-QUAN-292.
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A.G., Buchner, A. (2007). G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39 (2), 175–191. DOI: 10.3758/BF03193146.
- Gaedtke, A., Morat, T. (2015). TRX suspension training: A new functional training approach for older adults – development, training control and feasibility. International Journal of Exercise Science, 8 (3), 224–233.
- Gießing, J. (2003). Trainingsplanung und -steuerung beim Muskelaufbautraining: Das Konzept vom individuellen hypothetischen Maximalgewicht (h1RM) als methodische Alternative. Leistungssport, 33 (4), 26–31.
- Granacher, U., Gollhofer, A., Hortobágyi, T., Kressig, R.W., Muehlbauer, T. (2013). The importance of trunk muscle strength for balance, functional performance, and fall prevention in seniors: a systematic review. Sports Medicine, 43 (7), 627–641. DOI: 10.1007/ s40279-013-0041-1.
- Henwood, T.R., Taaffe, D.R. (2006). Short-term resistance training and the older adult: the effect of varied programmes for the enhancement of muscle strength and functional performance. Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging, 26 (5), 305–313. DOI: 10.1111/j.1475-097X.2006.00695.x.
- Huy, C., Schneider, S. (2008). Instrument für die Erfassung der physischen Aktivität bei Personen im mittleren und höheren Erwachsenenalter. Zeitschrift für Gerontologie und Geriatrie, 41 (3), 208–216. DOI: 10.1007/s00391-007-0474-y.
- Irez, G.B., Ozdemir, R.A., Evin, R., Irez, S.G., Korkusuz, F. (2011). Integrating pilates exercise into an exercise program for 65+ year-old women to reduce falls. Journal of Sports Science & Medicine, 10 (1), 105–111.
- Kaesler, D.S., Mellifont, R., Kelly, P.S., Taaffe, D.R. (2007). A novel balance exercise program for postural stability in older adults: A pilot study. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 11, 37–43. DOI :10.1016/j.jbmt.2006.05.003.
- Kim, J.H., Kim, Y.E., Bae, S.H., Kim, K.Y. (2013). The effect of the neurac sling exercise on postural balance adjustment and muscular response patterns in chronic low back pain patients. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 25 (8), 1015–1019. DOI: 10.1589/ jpts.25.1015.
- Krebs, D.E., Scarborough, D.M., McGibbon, C.A. (2007). Functional vs. strength training in disabled elderly outpatients. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 86 (2), 93–103. DOI: 10.1097/PHM.0b013e31802ede64.
- Lee, J.S., Lee, H.G. (2014). Effects of sling exercise therapy on trunk muscle activation and balance in chronic hemiplegic patients. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 26 (5), 655–659. DOI: 10.1589/jpts.26.655.
- Lohne-Seiler, H., Torstveit, M.K., Anderssen, S.A. (2013). Traditional versus functional strength training: effects on muscle strength and power in the elderly. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 21 (1), 51–70.
- Maté-Muñoz, J.L., Monroy, A.J. A., Jodra Jiménez, P., Garnacho-Castaño, M.V. (2014). Effects of instability versus traditional resistance training on strength, power and velocity in untrained men. Journal of Sports Science & Medicine, 13 (3), 460–468.
- Morat, T., Kroeger, D., Mechling, H. (2013). The Multisurface Obstacle Test for older adults (MSOT): development and reliability of a novel test for older adults. European Review of Aging and Physical Activity, 10 (2), 117–125. DOI: 10.1007/s11556-013-0121-0.
- O’Shea, S.D., Taylor, N.F., Paratz, J.D. (2007). A predominantly home-based progressive resistance exercise program increases knee extensor strength in the short-term in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomised controlled trial. The Australian Journal of Physiotherapy, 53 (4), 229–237. DOI: 10.1016/S0004-9514(07)70003-X.
- Park, J.H., Hwangbo, G. (2014). The effect of trunk stabilization exercises using a sling on the balance of patients with hemiplegia. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 26(2), 219–221. DOI:10.1589/jpts.26.219.
- Prokopy, M.P., Ingersoll, C.D., Nordenschild, E., Katch, F.I., Glenn, A.G., Weltman, A. (2008). Closed-kinetic chain upper-body training improves throwing performance of NCAA division I softball players. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 22 (6), 1790–1798. DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e318185f637.
- Ribeiro, F., Teixeira, F., Brochado, G., Oliveira, J. (2009). Impact of low cost strength training of dorsi- and plantar flexors on balance and functional mobility in institutionalized elderly people. Geriatrics & Gerontology International, 9 (1), 75–80. DOI: 10.1111/j.1447-0594.2008.00500.x.
- Robertson, R.J., Goss, F.L., Rutkowski, J., Lenz, B., Dixon, C., Timmer, J., Andreacci, J. (2003). Concurrent validation of the OMNI perceived exertion scale for resistance exercise. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 35 (2), 333–341. DOI: 10.1249/01. MSS.0000048831.15016.2A.
- Schroeder, G., Knauerhase, A., Kundt, G., Schober, H.C. (2012). Effects of physical therapy on quality of life in osteoporosis patients – a randomized clinical trial. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 10 (1), 101. DOI: 10.1186/1477-7525-10-101.
- Schroeder, G., Knauerhase, A., Kundt, G., Schober, H.C. (2014). Trunk stabilization with sling training in osteoporosis patients. European Review of Aging and Physical Activity, 11 (1), 61–68. DOI: 10.1007/s11556-013-0128-6.
- Sherrington, C., Tiedemann, A., Fairhall, N., Close, J.C.T., Lord S.R. (2011). Exercise to prevent falls in older adults: an updated metaanalysis and best practice recommendations. New South Wales Public Health Bulletin, 22 (4), 78–83. DOI: 10.1071/NB10056.
- Solberg, P.A., Kvamme, N.H., Raastad, T., Ommundsen, Y., Tomten, S. E., Halvari, H., Hallén, J. (2013). Effects of different types of exercise on muscle mass, strength, function and well-being in elderly. European Journal of Sport Science, 13 (1), 112–125. DOI: 10.1080/17461391.2011.617391.
- Spring, T., Franklin B., .de Jong A. (2010). Muscular fitness and assessment. In: American College of Sports Medicine (ed.), ACSM’s Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription (pp. 332–348). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Stray-Pedersen, J.I., Magnussen, R., Kuffel, E., Seiler, S., Katch, F. (2006). Sling exercise training improves balance, kicking velocity, and torso stabilization strength in elite soccer players. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 38 (5), S243.
- Taylor, D., Hale, L., Schluter, P., Waters, D.L., Binns, E.E., McCracken, H., Wolf, S.L. (2012). Effectiveness of tai chi as a communitybased falls prevention intervention: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 60 (5), 841–848. DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.03928.x.
- Tsauo, J.Y., Cheng, P.F., Yang, R.S. (2008). The effects of sensorimotor training on knee proprioception and function for patients with knee osteoarthritis: a preliminary report. Clinical Rehabilitation, 22 (5), 448–457. DOI: 10.1177/0269215507084597.
- Vandervoort, A.A. (2002). Aging of the human neuromuscular system. Muscle & Nerve, 25 (1), 17–25. DOI: 10.1002/mus.1215.
Publication order reference