Supportiveness of university physical environment on undergraduate students’ participation in leisure-time physical activity in south-west Nigeria
Languages of publication
Participation in Leisure-Time Physical Activity (LTPA) has declined among university undergraduate students in Nigeria. Studies have identified the physical environment of universities as a potential cause of the decline; however, this claim has not been verified. Therefore, this study evaluates the role of the physical environment in universities in inducing student participation in LTPA. This study is necessary, as previous research has shown the involvement in LTPA helps in developing the physical, physiological, social, emotional and mental capacities of students. It is also a factor in the relief of daily stress from the heavy academic workloads of the university students. A quantitative research methodology was adopted for this study. A total sample of 2,867 students was selected from 14 public universities in South West Nigeria using a multi-stage sampling technique. It was deduced from the study that the physical environment was a determining factor for LTPA participation among university undergraduate students in South West Nigeria. In addition, it was found that the availability of facility infrastructure that encourages students roaming and safety pre-cautions on campus would enhance participation in LTPA among the university students.
- Aderonmu, K.A. (2016). Sport Involvement as a Correlate of Life Satisfaction among Team Sports Participants in Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State. Journal of Tourism, Hospitality and Sport, 15, 1-6.
- Adesoye, A.A., Ajibua, M.A. (2017). Effect of Weather Conditions and Seasonal Variations on Leisure-Time Physical Activity of Undergraduate Students of the Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State. Journal of Sustainable Education, 8 (1), 132-147.
- AgriLife Extension (2008). Dressing for Physical Activity. Texas A&M, University System.
- American College of Sport Medicine (2006). Position Paper Preparation of Cold Injuries during Exercise. American College of Sport Medicine, 38, 20122019.
- Amuchie, F.A. (2002). Enhancing Nigeria’s Sporting Image through NUGA: Issues and Challenges. Proceedings of Nigerian University Games Forum held at the University of Ibadan on 18th December.
- Asagba, R.O., Ibraheem, T.O. (2006). Perceived Contributions of Leisure activities to Societal Development of Indigenous People of Kwara Central Zone. Readings in Applied Psychology, 2 (1), 95-101.
- Audu, M.D.U. (2015). The Road to Excellence, Kaduna, Ahmadu Bello University Press Ltd 41.
- Bakare, A.V. (2015). Counseling: A Moderating Strategy to Campus Stress. Ilorin Journal of Education, 34, 75-89.
- Burbridge, S.K. (2008). Evaluating the Impact of Neighbourhood Trail Development on Active Travel Behaviour and Overall Physical Activity. A Doctoral Thesis University of California, USA.
- Canpolat, A.M., Yildiz, L., Dorak, F. (2016). Relationship between Healthy Lifestyles Behaviours, Self-Esteem and Perceived Social Supports in Individuals Who Engage in Physical activity. Pamukkale Journal of Sport Science, 7 (2), 40-50.
- Chan, C.B., Ryan, D.A. (2009). Assessing the Effect of Weather Conditions on Physical Activity Participation Using Objective Measures. International Journal of Environmental Research in Public Health, 6 (10), 2639-2654. doi: 10.3390/ijerph6102639.
- Coghill, C.M. (2012). Exploring the Built Environment and Physical Activity in Rural Ontario Health Units. Unpublished Master Degree Thesis Submitted to School of Graduate Studies, McMaster University.
- Committee on Physical Activity (2005). Transportation, and Land Use. Does the Built Environment Influence Physical Activity? Examining the Evidence. Washington DC, Transportation Research Board and Institute of Medicine.
- Corbin, C.B., Welk, G.J., Corbin, W.R., Welk, K.A. (2004). Concept of Physical Activity: Active Lifestyles for Wellness (12th ed.). Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Cutts, B.B., Dirby, K.J., Boone, C.G., Brewis, A. (2009). City Structure, Obesity and Environmental Justice: An Integrated Analysis of Physical and Social Barriers to Walkable Streets and Park Access. Social Science and Medicine, 69, 1314-1322.
- Doyle, S., Kelly-Schwartz, A., Schlossberg, M., Stockard, J. (2006). Active community environments and health: the relationship of walkable and safe communities to individual health. Journal of the American Planning Association, 72 (1), 19-32.
- Evenson, K.R., Mota, J. (2011). Progress and Future Directions on Physical Activity Research among Youth. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 8, 149-151.
- Ewing, R. (2005). Can the physical Environment Determine Physical Activity Levels. Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, 33 (2), 69-75.
- Gebel, K., King, L., Bauman, A., Vita, P., Gill, T., Rigby, A. Capon, A. (2005). Creating a Healthy Environment. A Review of Links between the Physical Environment, Physical Activity and Obesity. Sydney: NSW Health Department, Centre for Overweight and Obesity.
- Hagaard, H. K. (2009). Pregnancy and Leisure Time Physical Activity. Unpublished Doctoral Thesis, Department of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Lund University, Sweden.
- Hansen, A. Vistisen, D. Carstensen, B. Helge, J., Linneberg, A. Witte, D., Aadahl, M. (2012). Pattern of Physical Activity in an Adult Population: A Latent Class Analysis Approach. Journal of Science and Sports Medicine. doi: 10.1016/jsams.2012.11.044.
- Harrison, F. Corder, K., Ekelund, U., van Shiys, E., Jones, A. (2014). Rainfall and Physical Activity: What Happen Again? ISBNPA Annual Conference.
- Jarvie, G. (2004). Sport, Culture and Society: An Introduction. New York: Routledge.
- Junior, J.C.F., Reis, R.S., Hallal, P.C. (2014). Perceived Environmental Characteristics and Psychosocial Factors Associated with Physical Activity Levels in Adolescents from Northeast Brazil. Cadernos de Saude Publica, 30 (5), 941-951.
- Kabir, S., Sulaiman A.G. (2011). Participation of Female Civil Servants in Tourism and Recreation Programmes in Samfara State. Journal of Research in Health and Sports Science, 11 (1), 21-28.
- Kamruzzaman, M., Washington, S., Baker, D., Brown. W., Giles-Corti, B., Turrell, A.C. (2014). Built Environment Impart on Walkable Transportation in Brisbane, Australian Transportation. doi: 10.1007/s/1116-014-9563-0.
- Ladani, B.A. (1999). Recreation and Leisure studies in Nigeria: Curriculum, Professional Challenges and Opportunities. A Key Paper Presented at the 33rd National Conference held at National Institute for Sport, National Stadium Complex, Lagos from August 31st-4th September.
- Lahti, J. (2011). Leisure Time Physical Activity, Health-Related Functioning and Retirement: A Perspective Cohort Study among Middle-Aged Employees. Academic Dissertation, Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland.
- Mehta, V. (2006). Lively Street: Exploring the Relationship between Built Environment and Social Behaviour. An Unpublished Dissertation Submitted to Faculty of the Graduate School of the University of Maryland.
- Merril, R.M. Shields, E.C., White, G.L., Druce, D. (2008). Climate Conditions and Physical Activity in United States. Am. J. Health Behaviour, 29, 371-381.
- Morgan, W.A. (2016). Journey through Adult Students Involvement on Camping, 2001. Retrieved from: http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/SAHE/JOURNA2/2001/Journey.htm (22.07.2020).
- Mullin, B.J., Hardy, S., Sutton, W.A. (2007). Sport Marketing. U.S.A. Human Kinetics, 315-339.
- Nabofa, E.O. (2010). Exercise and Movement Education Professionals Responsibilities in Attainment of Fitness for Wellness. In: J.F. Babalola, Optimal Health Performance: The Basis of Human Movement Education in the 21st Century. A Book of Reading in Honour of Prof. V.C. Igbanugo (pp. 64-94). University of Ibadan, Department of Human Kinetics.
- Naser, J.L., Evans-Cowley, S. (2007). Universal Design and Visibility: From Accessibility to Zoning. Ohio: The John Glenn School of Public Affairs/National Endowment for the Arts Columbus.
- Newton, Z., Guo, L., Yang, H., Malkin, M. (2007). Physical Activity and Perception of Body Image of African-American Women. The Cyber Journal of Applied Leisure and Recreation Research, 15 (1), 1-12.
- Ojeme, E.O. (2014). Annotation of Sports Icons and Its Significance. The Nation Newspaper, May 24.
- Okebukola, P.A. (2014). Towards a National Strategic Vision for Nigerian Universities. A Paper Presented at the 2014 Executive education Programme for Vice-Chancellors by the Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities, Uyo, November 19-20.
- Orodele, B. (2008). Institutional Sports as Panacea for Sports Development in Nigeria. A Paper presented During Public hearing of Senate Committee on Sports at the National Assembly, Abuja. Nigeria.
- Owolabi, J.T., Adebayo, W.O. (2013). Climate Variability and Physiological Comfort Measurement in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State. Nigerian Journal of Natural Sciences and Research, 3 (15), 128-131.
- Oyeyemi, A.L., Sallis, J.F., Deforche, L., Oyeyemi, A.Y, Dyck, D.V. (2013). Evaluation of the Neighborhood Environment Walkability Scale in Nigeria. International Journal of Health Geography, 12 (16), 1-15.
- Polinkas, L. (2001). Mental and Cognitive Performance in Cold. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 60, 430-439.
- Sallis, J.F., Floyd, M.F., Rodrquez, D.A., Saelens, B.E. (2012). Role of Built Environment in Physical Activity, Obesity and Cardiovascular Disease Circulation. Journal of American Heart Association, 725-737.
- Sallis, J.F., Cain, K.L., Conway, T.L., Gavand, K.A., Millstein, R.A., Geremia, C.M., Frank, L.D., Saelens, B.E., Glanz, K., King, A.C. (2015). Is Your Neighbourhood Designed to Support Physical Activity? A Brief StreetScape Audit Tool. Preventing Chronic Disease, 12, 1-11. doi: http://.dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd12.150098.
- Shuval, K., Weissblueth, E., Brezis, A., Dipiero, L. (2009). Individual and Sociological Correlates of Physical Activity among Arab and Jewish College Students in Israel. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 6, 306-314.
- Silva, P., Lott, R., Mota, J., Welk, G. (2013). Direct and Indirect Effects of Social Support on Physical Activity Behaviour. Pediatric Exercise Science, 26, 86-94.
- Spasova, Z. (2011). The Effect of Weather and Its Changes on the Emotional State in Individual Characteristics that makes us Vulnerable. Advances in Science Research, 6, 280-290.
- Staiano, A.E., Broyles, S.T., Katzmaryk, P.T. (2015). School-Term Vs School Holiday: Associations with Children’s Physical Activity, Screen-Time, Diet and Sleep. International Journal of Environmental Research and Health, 12, 8861-8870.
- Trost, S.G., Owen, N., Bauman, A.E., Sallis, J.F., Brown, W. (2002) Correlates of Adults Participation in Physical Activity: Review and Update. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 34 (12), 1996-2001.
- Turker, A., Gulliland, J. (2007). The Effects of Season and weather on Physical Activity: A Systematic Review. Public Health, 121, 909-922.
- Williams, C.H. (2007). The Built Environment and Physical Activity: What is the Relationship? Robert Wood Foundation. Research Synthesis Report no. 11. Retrieved from: www.policysynthesis.org (6.04.2015).
Publication order reference