Impact of variation on project delivery in Oyo state, Nigeria
Languages of publication
Variation in construction projects are very common and likely to occur from different sources, by various causes, at any stage of a project, and may have considerable negative impacts on items such as costs and schedule delays. This study is aimed to assess the causes of variation on construction project, the factors influencing the occurrence of variation on project and to determine the impacts of variation on project delivery in relation to cost and time. Questionnaire survey was used; out of 80 questionnaires that were sent out 78 questionnaires were retrieved from respondents in the contracting firm, consulting firms and government parastatals in Oyo state. The findings showed that; owner’s financial problem, change in specification by owner, change in scope of the project, care the most important causes of variation. The presence of specialist works, unforeseen conditions, and incompleteness of design are the top factors influencing the occurrence of variation. The most important impacts of variation on project delivery in relation to cost are quality degradation, increase in project cost, delay in completion and logistics delays while the most important impacts of variation on project delivery in relation to time are logistics delays, delay in completion and quality degradation.
-  Aftab H.M., Ismail A.R. and Mohamad F.A.H. (2014). Significant Causes and Effects of Variation Orders in Construction Projects. Research Journal of Applied sciences, Engineering and Technology, 7(21), 4494-4502.
-  Aibinu A.A. and Jagboro G.O. (2002). The Effect of Construction Delays on Project Delivery in Nigeria Construction Industry. International Journal of Oroject Management, 20(8), 593-599
-  Ala'a E. (2012). The Fourth International Engineering Conference-Towards Engineering of 21st Century. Investigating Variation Orders Observance in UNRWA Construction Contracts: Case Study.
-  Alaghbari W., Razzali A.K., Azizah S., and Ernawati. (2007). The Significant Factors Causing Delay of Building Projects in Malaysia. Journal of Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 14(2), 192-206.
-  Arain F.M., and Pheng L.S. (2005b). How Design Consultants Perceive Causes of Variation Orders for Institutional Buildings in Singapore. Architectural Engineering and Design Management, 1(3), 181-196.
-  Bower D. (2000). A systemetic Approach to the Evaluation of Indirect Costs of Contract Variations. Construction Management and Economics, 18(3), 263-268.
-  Charoenngam C., Coquinco S.T and Hadikusumo B.H.W. (2003). Web Based Application for Managing Change Order in Construction Projects. Construction Innovation, 3, 197-215.
-  European Centre for Research Training and Development. (2013). International Journal of Project Development and Economics Sustainability, 1(1), 56-72
-  Finsec E. (2005). The Building Contract-A commentary on the JBCC Agreements. Kenwyn: Juta and Co,Ltd.
-  Gray C. and Hughes W. (2001). Building Design Management. Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford, United Kingdom.
-  Hanna A. and Gunduz M. (2004). Impacts of Change orders on Small Labour Intensive Projects. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 130(5), 726-733.
-  Hao Q., Shen W., Neelamkaul J. & Thomas (2008). Change Management in Construction Projects. International Conference on Information Technology in Construction, CIB W78. Santiago, Chile.
-  Harbans S.K.S. (2003). Valuation of Varied Work: A Commentary, In Bulletin Ingenieus. The Board of Engineers Malaysia, 20(3), 32-42.
-  Ibironke O.T. (2004). Building Economics. Timlab Quanticost. Birnin-Kebbi, Nigeria.
-  Isa B.A., Jimoh R.A. and Achuenu E. (2013). An Overview of the Contribution of Construction Sector to the Sustainable Development in Nigeria. Net Journal of Business Management, 1(1), 1-6.
-  Kelly J. and Duerk D. (2002). Construction Project Briefing/Architectural Programming 'Best Value in Construction, RICS Foundation,. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
-  Kelly J. and Male S. (2002). Value Management Best Value in Construction, RICS Foundations. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
-  Koushki P.A., Al-Rashid K. and Kartam N. (2005). Delays and Cost Increases in the Construction of Private Residential Projects in Kuwait. Construction Management and Economics, 23, 286-294.
-  Memon A.H., Rahman I.A., Abdullahi M.R., and Azis A.A.A. (2011). Time Overun in Construction Projects from the Perspective of Project Management Consultants (PMC). Journal of Surveying, Construction and Property, 2(1), 54-66.
-  Memon A.H.,Rahman I.A., Abdullahi M.R. and Azis A.A.A. (2010). Factors Affecting Construction Cost in MARA Large Construction Projects: Representatibe of Project Management Consultants. International Journal of Sustainable Construction Engineering and Technology, 1(2), 41-54.
-  Mogbo T.C. (n.d.). Construction and National Integration for Achieving National Unit through the Redesign, Construction and Privatization of New Road and Railway Networks in Nigeria.
-  Mohammad N., Che Ani A.I., Rakmat R.A.O.K., and Yusof M.A. (2010). Investigation of the causes of variation orders in the Construction of Building Project- A study in the state of Selangor, Malaysia. Journal of Building Performance, 1(1), 73-82.
-  Nwuba C.C. (2004). An Analysis of House Construction Costs Trends in Nigeria. Nigeria Institute of Quantity Surveyors Journal, 1(1), 4-9
-  Occupational Health and Safety. (2015, July 23). Act No 85 of 1993, 2003 ' Construction Regulation. Retrieved from http://www.labour.gov.za/legislation/notice_display.jsp?id=9891
-  Oladapo A.A. (2007). A Quantitative Assessment of the Cost and Time Impact of Variation Orders on Construction Projects. Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology, 5(1), 35-48.
-  Oshodi O.S. (2012). A Comprehensive Study on Causes and Effects of Delay in Nigeria and Iranian Construction Projects. Asian Journal of Business and Management Services, 3(1), 29-36.
-  Pourrstam T. and Ismail A. (2011). Significant Factors Causing and Effects of Delay in Iranian Construction Projects. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 5(7), 450-456.
-  Ruben N. (2008). Dissertation on an Analysis of the Impact of Variation Orders on Project Performance. Cape Peninsula, University of Technology.
-  Shittu A.A. and Shehu M.A. (2010). Impact of Building and Construction Investment on the Economy during the Military Era (199-1998) and the Civilian Era (1999-2006). Journal of Construction Technology and Management, 11(182), 88-98
-  Ssegava J.K., Mfolwe K.M., Makuke B. and Kutua B. (2002). Construction Variations: A scourge or a Necessity? Proceeding of the First International Conference in CIB W107, (pp. 87 - 96). Cape Town, South Africa.
-  Thomas H.R., Horman M.J., De Souza U.E.L and Zavrski I. (2002). Reducing Variability to Improve Performance as a Lean Construction Principle. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 128(2), 144-154.
-  Wang Y. (2000). Coordination Issues in Chinese Large Building Projects. Journal of Management Engineering, 121(3), 290-296.
Publication order reference