The Inverse Reaction Cross Sections for Unit Rate Cost Model for Pricing Weld Mesh Reinforcement in Construction Projects
Languages of publication
The subsisting methods of unit rate pricing in the construction industry are either determinate on immediate use basis (analytical pricing) or predictive (cost modeling). The literature cited in this paper showed that cost models used in the industry are spurious. Most of the models attempts to respond to whole building cost from inception to completion with a single formula. This paper argues that on the basis of the units of measurement of the various building elements, a holistic cost model for pricing a complete building cost is a near impossibility. Rather as a negation cost model on the basis of each work item is idealized. Accordingly, this paper responded by generating a unit rate cost model for weld mesh reinforcement. This was done by abstracting and decomposing the relevant cost data and using productivity study by time and motion to determine the various outputs for materials and labour. These were subsequently factored to the cost data to derive the unit rate cost. The paper concludes that the model enjoys flexibility of further mathematical treatment should any of the variable be constrained and recommends that other work items should be modeled if the cost of a project must be known and this model should be used to justify contractor’s tender for weld mesh reinforcement bid.
-  C. I. Anyanwu (2013): Project Cost Control in the Nigerian Construction Industry. International Journal of Engineering Science Invention Volume 2. Issue 12, 56-71
-  A. Ashworth and R.M. Skitmore, (1982): Accuracy in Estimating. Occasional Paper No. 27 the Chartered Institute of Building.
-  Baccarini, David. 2006. The maturing concept of estimating project cost contingency: A review, in Runeson, G. and Best, R. (ed), Proceedings of the Australasian University Building Educators Association Annual Conference 2006: 31st Annual Conference, Jul 11-14 2006. Sydney, NSW: University of Technology.
-  F. J. Bromilow (1974): Measurement and Scheduling of Construction Time and Cost Perforamnce in the Building Industry. The Chartered Builder, 10(9), 57.
-  M. Brook (2008) Estimating and Tendering for Construction Work, 3rd ed. Butterworth – Heinemann publishing, Oxford.
-  A. Challal and M. Tkiouat, The Design of Cost Estimating Model of Construction Project: Application and Simulation. Open Journal of Accounting, Vol. 1 No. 1, 2012, pp. 15-26. doi: 10.4236/ojacct.2012.11003.
-  A.P.C. Chan, (1999): Modelling Building Durations in Hong Kong. Construction Management and Economics, 17(2), 189-196.
-  M. Cheng, H. Tsai, E. Sudjono (2010): Conceptual Cost Estimates using Evolutionary Fuzzy Hybrid neural Network for Projects in construction Industry. Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 37, pp. 4224-4231.
-  E. Clark and T. Doh (2011): A Bayesian Evaluation of Alternative Models of Trend Inflation. Economic Research Department. Proceedings of Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
-  T. Elhag and M. Boussabaine, (1998): An Artificial Neural System for Cost Estimation of Construction Projects, ARCOM 14th Annual Conference. Reading, UK.
-  FAD Corporate Document Repository. Cost Control in Forest Harvesting and Road Construction. Retrieved from www.fao.org/doc.rep/to579e/to579e03.htm
-  R.G. Failing, L.J. Jerry and D. Larry, B. Blevins, (1988): Improving Productivity Through Work Measurement. A Cooperative Approach, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, New York.
-  T. Cogley and T. J. Sargent (2005): Drifts and Volatilities: Monetary Policies and Outcomes in the Post-World War II U.S. Review of Economic Dynamics 8, 262-302.
-  J. Geweke and G. Amisano (2010): Comparing and Evaluating Bayesian Predictive Distributions of Asset Returns. International Journal of Forecasting Volume 26, Issue 2, April–June 2010, Pages 216-230
-  Geweke, J. and Whiteman C (2006): Bayesian Forecasting: Handbook of Economic Forecasting, G. Elliott, C. Granger, and A Timmermann (Eds.) North Holland: Amsterdam.
-  K. Gkritza, and S. Labi (2008): Estimating Cost Discrepancies in Highway Contracts: Multistep Econometric Approach; Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 134 No. 12, pp. 953-962.
-  M. Gunaydin, and Z. Dogan, (2004): A neural Network Approach for early Cost Estimation of Structural Systems of Buildings. International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 22 pp. 595-602.
-  S. C. Gupta (2004): Fundamentals of Statistics, 6th ed. Himalaya Publishing House, India.
-  Y. Hakan, E. Tas, (2007): A Building Cost Estimation Model based on functional elements. Istanbul Turkey.
-  Ibrionke (2004): Effective Material Management in a Project Site. The Nigerian Institute of Builders, Vol. 11, page 15.
-  V. Ireland, (1983): The Role of Managerial Actions in the Cost, Time and quality Performance of High Rise Commercial Building Projects, Unpublished PhD thesis, University of Sydney, Australia.
-  G. O. Jagboro and A.A. Albinu (2002): The Effects of Construction Delays on Project Delivery in Nigerian Construction Industry. International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 20, No. 8, pp. 593-599.
-  R. G. King and M.W. Watson (2012): Inflation and Unit Labour Cost: Gerzensee 25th Conference, retrieved at http://www.princeton.edu/mwatson.
-  P.A. Koushki, K. Al-Rashid, and N. Kartam, (2005): Delays and Cost Increases in the Construction of Private Residential Projects in Kuwait. Construction Management and Economics 23(6).
-  M. M. Kumaraswamy and D.W.M. Chan, (1995): Determinants of Construction Duration. Construction Management and Economics, 13(3), 209-217.
-  L. Le-Hoai, Y. Lee, and J. Lee, (2008): Delay and Cost Overruns in Vietnam Large Construction Projects. A comparison with other selected countries. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering 12(6)
-  P. E. Love, R.Y.C. Tse, and D. J. Edwards (2005): Time-cost Relationships in Australian Building Construction Projects. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, 131(2) 1-8.
-  J. A. Milne, (2003): Tendering and Estimating Procedures; George Godwin Ltd, Publishing.
-  J. Morley, and J. Piger. The Asymmetric Business Cycle. The Review of Economics and Statistics Vol. 94, No. 1 (February 2012). pp. 208-221
-  I. E. Nabil (2012): Modeling the Parametric Construction Project Cost Estimate using Fuzzy Logic. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering Vol. 2.
-  N. Nida Azhar, R. Farooqui, S. Ahmed, (2008): Cost Overrun Factors in Construction Industry of Pakistan. Furst International Conference on Construction in Developing Countries (ICCIDC – 1), “Advancing and Integrating Construction Education, Research & Practice”, 4-5, Karachi, Pakistan.
-  W. Niebel, Benjamin, (1993): Motion and Time Study, Erwin
-  M.E. Obiegbu (2004): Documentation, Monitoring and Cost Analysis of Projects; Being a paper Presented at 29th Annual Conference/General Meetings of the Nigerian Institute of Builders on Effective Management of Capital Projects in Nigeria.
-  E.C. Oforeh and A.J. Alufohai (2006): Management Estimating and Budgeting for Electrical Installation. Cosine Nig. Ltd.
-  D. R. Ogunsemi and G. O. Jagboro (2006): Time-cost Model for Building Projects in Nigeria. Construction Management and Economics, No. 24, pp. 253-258.
-  G.K. Ojo (2001): A Study of the Relationship Between Contract Period and Tender Sum of Construction Projects in South – west Nigeria, unpublished MSc thesis, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
-  S.I. Onwusonye, (2002): Tendering, Estimating and Contractual Arrangement in Building Projects: Practice and Principle. Owerri: Intercontinental Educational Books and Publishers.
-  H.E. Picard, Industrial Construction Efficiency and Productivity. Transactions, 44th Annual Meeting of AACE International, June 2000, Calgary, AB, Canada.
-  H.E. Picard, Construction Performance Benchmarking Measurement. Transactions, 46th Annual Meeting of AACE International, June 2002a, Portland, OR
-  H.E. Picard, Construction Process Measurement and Improvement. Proceedings, 10th Annual Conference on Lean Construction, Aug. 2002b, Gramado, Brazil.
-  T.O. Salami, (2013): Estimating and Price Analysis in Environmental Science and Engineering, 1st ed. Olad publishing, Ilorin.
-  M. E., Shankar (2004): Industrial Engineering and Management, Galgota publishing, New-Delhi.
-  F. Smets, and R. Wouters (2007): Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles: A Bayesian DSGE Approach, American Economic Review, 97(3): 586-606.
-  Society of American Value Engineers (SAVE/2007): Value Standard and Body of Knowledge, SAVE International Value Standard, 2007 ed.
-  The Chartered Institute of Buildings Technical Information Papers.
-  Paper No. 114 M. W. Emsley, and F.C. Harris, (1990): Methods and rates for structural steel erection.
-  Paper No. 128 A.D.F. Price, (1991): Measurement of construction productivity: Concrete Gangs.
-  Paper No. 33, R.S. Harrison, (1994): Operational Estimating
-  Paper No. 64 A. Ashworth, (1986): Cost Models – their history, Development and Appraisal.
-  Paper No. 65 A. Ashworth and D.A. Elliott, (1986): Price Books and Schedules of rates
-  M. Villani,. (2009): Steady – State Priors for Vector Auto regressions: Journal of Applied Econometrics 24, 630-650.
-  P. Vrat, (2002): Productivity Management. A systems approach. New-Delhi: Narosa Publishing House.
-  C. M. Yeong, (1994): Time and Cost Performance of Building Contracts in Australia and Malaysia, unpublished MSc thesis, University of South Australia.
-  L. A. Zadeh, (1994): Fuzzy Logic: Neural Networks and Soft Computing. Communications of ACM, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 77-84.
-  L. A., Zadeh, (2965): Fuzzy Set, Information and Control, Vol. 8, pp. 338-353.
-  A. Czarnigowska (2014). Unit rate-based cost estimating – input and methods. Technical Transactions, Civil Engineering, Lublin University of Technology.
-  B. Mwiya, M. Muya, C. Kaliba, P. Mukalula, (2015). Construction Unit Rate Factor Modelling using Neural Networks. International Journal of Civil, Environmental, Structural, Construction and Architectural Engineering. Vol. 9(1).
Publication order reference