Ethnomedicinal and phytochemical evaluation of tree species among some local folks of northern Nigeria
Languages of publication
In many parts of northern Nigeria, indigenous knowledge about the significance of different tree species has been passed down from one generation to another without proper research and documentation. Therefore, this research work involves the preliminary ethnomedicinal and phytochemical evaluation of selected tree species among some local folks of northern Nigeria. Data were collected using structured questionnaires and oral interviews. Descriptive analysis was used to carry out the data analysis for all the tree species, while laboratory analysis was used to carry out the phytochemical screening of selected tree species in the study area. The result from the study shows that about twenty three (23) tree species belonging to diverse families were discovered. The phytochemical screening shows that only Piliostigma thonnigii obtained a positive result for all the parameters checked. This work also revealed the ethnomedicinal study of tree species in the study area.
-  S.O. Ofuegbe and A.A Adedapo, Ethnomedicinal survey of some plants used for the treatment of diabetes in Ibadan, Nigeria. Asian Journal of Medical Sciences 6 (5) (2015) 36-40.
-  A. Falodun, Herbal medicine in Africa-Distribution, standardization and prospects. Research Journal of Phytochemistry 4 (3) (2010)154-161.
-  A.J. Afolayan and T.O. Sunmonu, In vivo Studies on anti-diabetic plants used in South African herbal medicine. Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition 47 (2) (2010) 98-106.
-  E.R. Ezeome and A.N. Anarado, Use of complementary and alternative medicine by cancer patients at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 7 (2007) 28-10.1186/1472-6882-7-28.
-  K.A. Oshikoya, I.O. Senbanjo, O.F. Njokanma, A. Soipe, Use of complementary and alternative medicines for children with chronic health conditions in Lagos Nigeria. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 8 (2008) 66-10. 1186/1472-6882-8-66.
-  O.O. Adeyeye, B.O. Onadeko, O. Ogunleye, R.T. Bamisile and A. Olubusi, The use of complementary and alternative medicine by asthma patients receiving care in an urban tertiary centre in Nigeria. International Journal of Biological and Medical Research 2 (4) (2011) 1026-1030.
-  S.O. Nwako and T.O. Fakeye, Evaluation of use of herbal medicines among ambulatory hypertensive patients attending a secondary health care facility in Nigeria. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice 17 (2) (2009) 101-105.
-  T.O. Fakeye, R. Adisa, I.E. Musa, Attitude and use of herbal medicines among pregnant women in Nigeria. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 9 (2009) 53-10. 1186/1472-6882-9-53.
-  E.P. Gharoro and A.A. Igbafe, Pattern of drug use amongst antenatal patients in Benin City, Nigeria. Medical Science Monitor 6 (1) (2000) 84-87.
-  T.O. Fakeye, A. Tijani and O. Adebisi, A survey of the use of herbs among patients attending secondary-level health care facilities in Southwestern Nigeria. Journal of Herbal Pharmacotheraphy 7 (3-4) (2007) 213-227.
-  K.B. Yusuff and F. Tayo, Frequency, types and severity of medication use-related problems among medical outpatients in Nigeria. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 33 (3) (2011) 558-564. DOI: 10.1007/s11096-011-9508-z
-  S. Constable, A. Ham and M. Pirmohamed, Herbal medicines and acute medical emergency admissions to hospital. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 63 (2) (2007) 247-248.
-  A.R. King, S. Flint, F.S. Russett, J.A. Generali and D.W. Grauer, Evaluation and implications of natural product use in preoperative patients: a retrospective review. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 9 (2009) 38-10. 1186/1472-6882-9-38.
-  D. Collins, S. Oakey and V. Ramakrishnan, Perioperative use of herbal, complementary and over the counter medicines in plastic surgery patients. Eplasty 11 (2011) 27.
-  N.A. Ezejiofor, C. Maduagwunan, V.I. Onyiaorah, D.C. Hussaini, O.E. Orisakwe, Multiple organ toxicity of a Nigerian herbal supplement [U and D sweet bitter] in male albino rats. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 21 (4) (2008) 426-429.
-  E. Ernst and M.H. Pittler, Herbal medicine. Medical Clinics of North America 86 (1) (2002) 149-161.
-  R. Grauer, Herbal medicine and perioperative care — an Australian perspective, Australasian, Anaesthesia (2003) 105-115.
-  M. Yadav, S. Chatterji, S. K. Gupta and G. Watal, Preliminary phytochemical screening of six medicinal plants used intraditional medicine. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 6 (5) (2014) 539-542.
-  R. Vijyalakshmi and R. Ravindran, Preliminary comparative phytochemical screening of root extracts of Diospyrus ferrea (Wild.) Bakh and Arva lanata (L.) Juss. Ex Schultes. Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research 2 (5) (2012) 581-587.
-  A. Doss, Preliminary phytochemical screening of some Indian medicinal plants. Ancient Science of Life 29 (2009) 12-16.
-  P. Pandey, R. Mehta and R. Upadhyay. Physico-chemical and preliminary phytochemical screening of Psoralea corylifolia. Archives of Applied Science Research 5 (2) (2013) 261-265.
-  A. Sofowora, Medicinal Plants and Traditional Medicine. WHO, Document No. 30, (1993) pp. 69.
-  D. K. Koche, R. P. Shirsat, Syed Imran, Mohd. Nafees,A. K. Zingare and K. A. Donode Ethnobotanical and ethnomedicinal survey of Nagzira Wild Life Sanctuary, District Gondia, Ethnobotanical Leaflets 12 (2008) 56-69.
-  M. Ahmad, M. A. Khan, U. Rashid, M. Zafar, M. Arshad, and S. Sultana, Quality assurance of herbal drug valerian by chemotaxonomic markers, African Journal of Biotechnology 8 (6) (2009) 1148–1154.
-  A. C. Hamilton, Medicinal plants, conservation and livelihoods, Biodiversity and Conservation 13 (8) (2004) 1477–1517.
-  J. Bhat, M. Kumar, and R. Bussmann, Ecological status and traditional knowledge of medicinal plants in Kedarnath Wildlife Sanctuary of Garhwal Himalaya, India, Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine 9 (1) (2013) 1-18.
-  A. F. Blasco1, Gerard Q. De Guzman and Grecebio Jonathan D. Alejandro, A Survey of Ethnomedicinal Plants in Surigao Del Sur Mountain Range, Philippines. International Journal of Pure and Applied Bioscience 2 (4) (2014) 166-172.
-  A. Buochuama and F.I. Amiofori, The Utilization of Plant Species in the Treatment of some Identifiable Viral Diseases in Southwestern Nigeria. World Scientific News 95 (2018) 111-123.
-  U.I Fingesi, A. Buochuama and Q.A. Abdulrahman, Ethnobotanical Survey of Medicinal Plants Used for Treating Viral Infection in Saki West Local Government Area, Oyo State, Nigeria. World News of Natural Sciences 17 (2018) 89-101.
-  A. Khan, K. Islam, A. Siraj, S. Saha, A. K. Barman, K. Awang, M. Rahman, J. A. Shilpi, R. Jahan, E. Islam and M. Rahmatullah. Ethnomedicinal survey of various communities residing in Garo Hills of Durgapur, Bangladesh. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine 11 (44) (2015) 1-46.
-  M. Rahmatullah, I.J. Mukti, A.K.M.F. Haque, M.A.H. Mollik, K. Parvin, R. Jahan, An Ethnobotanical Survey and Pharmacological Evaluation of Medicinal Plants used by the Garo Tribal Community living in Netrakona district, Bangladesh. Advances in Natural and Applied Sciences 3 (3) (2009) 402–18.
-  S. Akerreta, R.Y. Cavero and M.I. Calvo, First comprehensive contribution to medical ethnobotany of Western Pyrenees. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine 3 (1) (2007) 26.
-  M.O. Nanyingi, J.M. Mbaria, A.L. Lanyasunya, C.G. Wagate, K.B. Koros and H.F. Kaburia, Ethnopharmacological survey of Samburu district. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine 4 (1) (2008) 14.
-  W. Murad, A. Azizullah, M. Adnan, A. Tariq, K.U. Khan, S. Waheed, Ethnobotanical assessment of plant resources of Banda Daud Shah, District Karak, Pakistan. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine 9 (1) (2013) 77.
-  C. Muthu, M. Ayyanar, N. Raja and S. Ignacimuthu, Medicinal plants used by traditional healers in Kancheepuram District of Tamil Nadu, India. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine 2 (1) (2006) 43.
-  M. Balick and P.Cox, Plants, people and culture. New York: Scientific American Network, (1996) 1-24.
-  A. Ghorbani, Studies in pharmaceutical ethnobotany in the region of Turkmen Sahra, North of Iran (part 1): general results. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 102 (1) (2005) 58–68.
-  M. Giday, Z. Asfaw and Z. Woldu Medicinal plants of the Meinit ethnic group of Ethiopia: an ethnobotanical study. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 124 (3) (2009) 513–521.
-  P.B. Telefo, L.L. Lienou, M.D. Yemele, M.C. Lemfack, C. Mouokeu and C.S. Goka, Ethnopharmacological survey of plants used for the treatment of female infertility in Baham, Cameroon. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 136 (1) (2011) 178–187.
-  O. B. Olajide, O. Y. Fadimu, P.O. Osaguona and M.I. Saliman, Ethnobotanical and phytochemical studies of some selected species of leguminoseae of Northern Nigeria: A Study of Borgu Local Government Area, Niger State. Nigeria. International Journal of Science and Nature 4 (3) (2013) 546-551
Publication order reference